Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Slave Controller Loss Of Video - Master Still Clear

This problem is really annoying in areas of high interference, the slave video is nearly useless making camera operation impossible. Sure connecting the HDMI directly to the master works but is a horrible solution.

Anyone seeing any progress or at least an admission of this widely reported problem?

I'm interested in a solution here too. Makes the slave remote useless in a lot of situations. I have seen any clear fix for this issue either

The irony of this problem is that it's the gimbal operator who needs to see the screen much more than the pilot.

The only workaround is to run HDMI from the master controller.

It's a big issue that DJI still hasn't fixed. I assume it's a hardware design issue where the 5.8 TX on the slave unit is interfering with the receiving end. We would need someone with RF experience to confirm this theory.

P.S. Probably a good idea if DJI updated their nomenclature. Master / slave is just little dated.

It's interesting, it's actually a fundamental problem with a key advantage of the Inspire 1 (dual operator), and appears to have no fix to get the second controller to work as advertised. I have had a few broadcast events where it would have been brilliant to plug into the hdmi off the second remote (effectively using it as a video receiver only), however, the video is just way too flaky compared to the primary remote.

Is it to do with a poor 5.8 connection? I haven't seen anyone come up with a definitive answer as to why the slave video is so poor compared to the primary video. If they are both coming from the aircraft (as per the diagram, which would make it just receiving a broadcast directly from the inspire, with control inputs going via the master over 5.8 interconnect), then it doesn't make sense that the slave connection is so flaky. If it is just recieving from the primary remote only over a 5.8 connection (and the direct broadcast from the inspire 1 to the slave doesn't actually exist), then that may start to explain something and give some direction for a potential fix.

Both controllers receive the same 2.4 downlink but only the master transmits to the Inspire. Slave TX is relayed via the master using 5.8. Very likely the 5.8 TX on the slave is introducing RF noise to the 2.4 receiver making it less sensitive.

I agree that's the way they say it works, my question is has anyone tested it to confirm it does work that way? Eg block the primary RC's video feed to see if it affects the slave? If it is the 5.8 transmitter introducing interference to the 2.4 reciever, I'm not sure how you could fix it other than shielding and a filter? Has anyone done the Antenna mods on a slave transmitter and seen an improvement?

This has been a problem from day one and my guess would be cheaply designed front end on the remote(s).
Assuming the FCC has done the requisite checks to insure compliance with spurious harmonic emmision from the transmitting side of things one can only assume it is a poorly designed rx front end that is being swamped by a 5.8ghz signal in such close proximity - ie inside the same casing!

That makes sense. I wonder if there is anyway to add some shielding or a high pass filter to try and clean up the 2.4 signal from the 5.8 interference? Or extend the 5.8 transmitter out of the remote to give some seperation? If this issue was ever properly fixed, it would be brilliant!

apperantly the new generation does not have that issue with "C" models RC. due to the stronger mw or dbm or i - i don't know what its called. point is penetration and distance are rock solid. someone here did some "real world" testing and reported that slave was doing fine. - don't nail me for it. i just read it in a post.-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Brendan
Would love to know what they actually did to rectify it, but don't think we will ever know :) the latest firmware update looks like it may have affected the transmit power also (to be confirmed) so hopefully this hasn't bought out the issue with the slave remotes again

i do have a "C" version RC from my second AC. i will try if i can make a test this week given the weather is ok.
but, Damon, go ahead and check. i will also report.
i wonder if replacing the "brain" to a v2 I1 and motors would do the jump to a pro/V2 or not also improving the slave video signal issue.

edit: my other two are version "A" RC my AC is version "B" which was my first unit i bought. no 2 is version "D" AC and version "C" RC

Last edited:
That's excellent, hopefully it is fixed with the "C" version and can be used in conjunction with an A or B version. If it is fixed, would be great to see if there is anything obvious they have done internally to fix it

There are a few reports of this being helped by using the channel mod to expand channels and then set a manual channel up the band out the way.

As the Editor posted this is likely front end overload of the 2.4 receiver by the 5.8, one note is the 5.8 antenna is located as part of the RH antenna on the controller, TBH it's a bit of a odd setup to place the TX antenna of the 5.8 as part of the 2.4 antenna, it's on the same pcb so it's hardly surprising these issues are happening.

One very simple mod that could resolve this would be to buy a 5.8 antenna and relocate this in the bottom of the controller internally away from the main antennas at the top

Hell a simple dipole would work

There are a few reports of this being helped by using the channel mod to expand channels and then set a manual channel up the band out the way.

As the Editor posted this is likely front end overload of the 2.4 receiver by the 5.8, one note is the 5.8 antenna is located as part of the RH antenna on the controller, TBH it's a bit of a odd setup to place the TX antenna of the 5.8 as part of the 2.4 antenna, it's on the same pcb so it's hardly surprising these issues are happening.

One very simple mod that could resolve this would be to buy a 5.8 antenna and relocate this in the bottom of the controller internally away from the main antennas at the top

Hell a simple dipole would work

can you show some pics or elaborate mor on this? where is the pcb located within the RC?
personally i would not be able to do that but have help who has backround on this and will help me. if you maybe have some more info that would be nice.

This gives some insight to the setup

As I said a simple mod would be to disconnect the 5.8 that comes with it and fit and new antenna and coax locating it in the bottom or side of the controller, you would only have to remove the glue holding the connect on and connect the new one.

This gives some insight to the setup

As I said a simple mod would be to disconnect the 5.8 that comes with it and fit and new antenna and coax locating it in the bottom or side of the controller, you would only have to remove the glue holding the connect on and connect the new one.

wow. that was indeed some info i can get atarted with :) thank you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan