Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

Slowly turning while hovering with no input

Discussion in 'Inspire 1 Discussion' started by sixthdim, Jun 9, 2016.

1. sixthdim

While hovering with no controller input, my Inspire slowly turns to the right. I calibrate the compass before each flight at the flight location. GPS lock is always good and there are no unusual magnetic fields nearby. This happens if I'm near the ground or up high. Landing gear position also has no effect. Is there a yaw trim I'm not finding? But I feel like the onboard compass should maintain heading if there is no controller input. Thanks for any help.

2. Canuck32

Have you calibrated your RC sticks? Probably they're a bit off and sending a turn signal to the craft

sixthdim likes this.
  3. Alastair

Not a good idea to calibrate the compass at every location, unless it's a couple of hundred miles from the last one. Have you performed the IMU callibration on a completely level surface, with a cold AC?

4. The Editor

The Editor Moderator
    Staff Member

As said above - no need to calibrate the compass before every flight (in fact it's not a good idea to do that)

Your gradual yawing will be caused by an out of calibration RC stick centre position.
    Run an RC calibration (don't forget the gimbal wheel while doing it otherwise it will not complete)
    That will sort the problem out.

5. SanCap

What are the ill effects of calibrating every time?

6. The Editor

The Editor Moderator
    Staff Member

Calibrating your compass everytime you move locations increases the chance of unknowingly introducing a bad calibration.
    If you were for instance standing on top of some buried metal or near something that would influence the magnetic flux your calibration would take that into account. Your aircraft would then report you're good to go. However, once you were airborne you would be clear of that influence that caused the bad calibration and the compass offset would be skewed. The only thing that would be acting on the compass would be the true magnetic flux for your declination but since the calibration was done near something altering the field you now have a skewed compass.
    Que, TBE and an uncontrollable aircraft.
    Far better to do a compass calibration and stick with it.
    (I can't actually remember the last time I did mine and in the meantime I have travelled several hundred miles)

Always, always check your mod values though before every single take off. If they are not right don't fly. Move location slightly (20 feet or so) and check again.

MacDyver and SanCap like this.
  7. sixthdim

Thanks! That was the problem. I forgot I could calibrate the sticks.

The Editor likes this.