Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Somebody's good with an airbrush...

Don't get me wrong, it's cool, but I just don't feel the urge to do this to my equipment of high value that I know I will be looking to sell used later on. Your aircraft could be in a near perfect condition but if you can't find a buyer with the same taste for your custom design then you're either not going to get the value you could get if the unit was "normal" or you're having to deal with buying a new shell....

Just my two cents... ;) I'm always keeping original boxes and and getting my equipment as close to brand new as I can to ensure a high resale value later on....I guess you could argue that a custom paint job could add value.

Reactions: Tommcmick
I am on the same page and am often amazed at the customizations that people do to their gear.
I too keep the boxes and take exquisite care of my gear to preserve it's value.
I see a lot of the shark's teeth stickers going on Inspires and I think, REALLY? You WANT that on your bird?
The guy selling that one was also including a second set of stock body parts to change it back to 'normal'.
I just thought it was a nice job of painting. Not anything I would want to do, but nice.

Reactions: Advexure
Right there with ya...I dipped my original Inspire 1 with a carbon hydro dip along with about 8 batteries as I thought it would be "cool" to have an I1 that was not toy white looking but when I went to sell it the buyer only wanted two extra batteries and there I was with another 6 TB48s that had carbon dipped covers and I ended up selling them about 50% off of the market value. Who wants used carbon dipped batteries in their regular white Inspire...I guess that buyer didn't care given that he was paying <$100 for low cycled batteries. In my experience it's just a pain when you've got custom equipment...needless to say DJI will not warranty custom painted equipment.

Not only personalized 'artwork', but I have seen a few Inspires for sale where the owner took a sharpie and wrote his FAA number on the top. Not very neatly either!! Then in his listing, he says he can transfer that number to you! Guess that's the lie he was telling to prospective buyers since he can't get the number off. Also seen people number their batteries with a sharpie.
I used a label machine to print my FAA number and put it on the batteries, so it is inside the bird. No alterations to the outward appearance.
I have re-sold all of my stepping stones, some at a profit, due to taking good care and posting GOOD pictures when I list for sale. It amazes me that some things sell at all on eBay due to lousy pictures. Dark, out of focus, upside down, in need of cropping, etc.

I cringe at some of the things I've seen people do to "customize" their equipment :eek: It's all about resale value for us so that we can stay on the leading edge and free capital for the latest and greatest!

My 2 cents. I think it looks pretty zoot myself. As for the resale value, you are going to get the shaft no matter what. I invested close to $5000 in my Inspire 1 V2.0 a couple years ago. Were I to try to sell it on eBay today I would consider myself lucky to get a $1000 for the whole setup. And it is still in like new, pristine condition, batteries still hold a good charge, both pair of original props, never been crashed, very low flight hours. Yet the market is flooded with the V2's because everyone wanted the next new model, the Inspire 2. My V2.0 has depreciated quicker than anything I have ever owned. But as long as I can get parts and batteries for it, I will continue to keep it. It still does everything I ask of it.
The price of progress or a company getting rich off people with more money than common sense? How long before the Inspire 2's are last weeks news? No offense intended to anyone, just expressing my opinion.

Reactions: kaptaincrash
I find it funny that you folks seem to think that your going to get anywhere NEAR the price you paid for your aircraft, when there is at least 1 or 2 newer versions of the aircraft you may be selling.. Putting a custom paint job on the bird imo would bring the value up.

Reactions: Spy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pradeepnama123