Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

SSD export excruciatingly slow- unacceptable!

Reaction score
My first SSD export with an almost full SSD with 5.2K raw files took almost 24 hours!. Yes, you read that right - 24 hours. My second short test of only 22 GB took almost two hours. I am using USB3 and the average speed on this test is 43 mb/s.

I am using a laptop that I use for DIT for my RED Epic RAW files copying SSD's all the time. 64 GB SSD takes me about 20 minutes.
My PC laptop system specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820QM CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.70 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 32.0 GB (31.9 GB usable)
System type: 64-bit Operating System

This DJI export time is unexceptional for professional use. I have heard the expected time is about 2 hours for a full SSD. I can live with that but not 24 hrs. I was about to buy another SSD but until I can fix this problem I'm not investing in anymore SSD's.

Reactions: Mike Harmon
Check that your laptop properly recognises the device and isn't just using generic USB drivers for it.

Also, I mention this only for clarity when others are reading your post and the title, I suspect the word you intended to use was 'unacceptable' rather than 'unexceptional' or 'unexceptable'

Thanks Mark. Long day. Fixed.
Intermurph - my thoughts exactly. Not sure where to go from here. My other USB3 devices work fine. How can I test this? Any ideas?

Smells like the DJI SSD might be operating at USB 2.0 speeds.

Agreed, but that is most likely to be a driver issue.

I encountered this recently with a simple micro SD card reader. It was not properly recognized by Windows and it was assigned a generic driver that only supported USB 2.0 speeds.

With the correct driver it worked properly at USB 3.0 speed.

sounds like your computer has a hard disk with a slow write speed. Get yourself a SSD for the computer then transfer will increase significantly

Reactions: ringolong
sounds like your computer has a hard disk with a slow write speed. Get yourself a SSD for the computer then transfer will increase significantly

That would have to be a really slow drive though as 22GB over 2 hours is about 3MB/s...

Reactions: Reinier
I'm sure we'll get some more information soon, but it would have to be an external USB HDD for the speeds to get that low I'd have thought as you'd have to go to the bottom end of the really old IDE drives to find anything that slow that wasn't externally connected...

Also this part would seem to suggest the HDD is perfectly capable of going a lot faster...

I am using a laptop that I use for DIT for my RED Epic RAW files copying SSD's all the time. 64 GB SSD takes me about 20 minutes.

Its that SSD to SSD via USB3 is very quick. SSD via USB3 to HD is known to be very slow its about write speeds and any HD will never match an SSD. You should also remember the DJI SSD is not a common format. hence you cant delete files only reformat the SSD.

Reactions: Reinier
Mark: Win 7 pro
Dr. Jon - Seagate ST750LX0 03-1AC154
I think you are right. It's a few years old and there are much faster drives now. I tried a test to my system drive which is an SSD

and the write speed was twice as 103 mb/s as opposed to 43 mb/s.
It works fine for my RED R3D files but they are a different animal.
I also tried 5 different Flash drive speedtest programs but they couldn't write a file to the drive so wouldn't work. I just got a new tower that is very fast (not set up yet) but I wanted this laptop to work as my field DIT system. I'll put in a fast SSD. I hope that does it.
Thanks for all your help.

I just looked at the seagate drive comparison web site... Yours comes in last place...

Never any harm in adding an SSD to replace a HDD, but I still think you have a driver problem with the DJI reader.

It makes no sense that you can transfer much faster from your RED SSD's and frankly, even 103mb/s to your SSD is still far too slow...

Mark - I agree with you. I'm just not sure what to do about it. I think I'll update my system drivers to see if an update helps. What do you think about running it by DJI support to see if they have any ideas?
Videosphy: That speed sounds more like it.

I wish I could help more personally. but I don't have the DJI SSD reader, perhaps someone with one and without a transfer rate problem on a PC, could take a look in the Windows Device Manager and see what it is recognised as and which driver it is loading.

You can do the same and compare...

Also no harm in asking DJI if they have a driver that is compatible with Windows 7...

With my 2016 mac book pro
Both of my 480ssd take @ 2 hrs each to offload when full. I think something's wrong with your computer. Try copying to another computer.

I posted this to another thread, by I am having similar results with super slow downloads. My black magic 4K cinema camera downloads via SanDisk Extreme SSD in a fraction of the time using the exact same bitrates and codec. I am waiting for someone to close the CINESSD and allow me to output directly to an actual 3.5" SSD. My SANDISK Extreme is exactly that... EXTREME.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaddeusKo