Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Strategy for improving detail in shadows

Reaction score
One of the reasons I purchased an Inspire 2 after buying the Mavic was centered around really muddy unacceptably appearing lack of detail in the shadows. The problem is seen typically in the morning or evening hours with high contrast scenes. Some areas were sharp while others were blocky and muddy appearing.

This occurred every morning or evening I filmed a local beach area characterized by bright white sand and darker trees and bushes.

Unfortunately, the exact same issue was noted with the Inspire 2 and the X4S.

I typically shoot 4K30 or 4K60 using the default normal color setting and without using a style selection. I meticulously focus and note that brighter areas are sharp as a tack and shadows or darker areas seem to be what has been described as a painterly effect. I also set manual exposure using the histogram and rarely exceed ISO 400. I use ND filters and shutter speeds typically twice the frame rate. I could not clean it up in post.

Nothing has helped... until I saw the following video on the Mavic forum yesterday:

Interesting video on sharpness

Tried it this morning and the improvement was nothing short of incredible. Apparently with sharpness set at 0 or in the minus realm, noise reduction kicks in and absolutely destroys the detail in the darker areas. Setting the sharpness to +1 cleared it up remarkably.

As an experienced photographer, I never considered this solution to such a perplexing problem. It seems counter-intuitive to link noise reduction to sharpness in this manner, yet the results are dramatic.

Thanks to a great community and forum, I now have a solution to a highly frustrating challenge that others are likely experiencing.

Bottom line.... do not send your drone back to DJI for this problem without trying this straight forward solution. While other issues may exist, you might wish to consider this approach first.

Hope sharing this information helps.

Barry

Wow! Thanks for sharing this. This will help out a ton! Looking forward to trying out tomorrow.

One of the reasons I purchased an Inspire 2 after buying the Mavic was centered around really muddy unacceptably appearing lack of detail in the shadows. The problem is seen typically in the morning or evening hours with high contrast scenes. Some areas were sharp while others were blocky and muddy appearing.

This occurred every morning or evening I filmed a local beach area characterized by bright white sand and darker trees and bushes.

I typically shoot 4K30 or 4K60 using the default normal color setting and without using a style selection. I meticulously focus and note that brighter areas are sharp as a tack and shadows or darker areas seem to be what has been described as a painterly effect. I also set manual exposure using the histogram and rarely exceed ISO 400. I use ND filters and shutter speeds typically twice the frame rate. I could not clean it up in post.

Nothing has helped... until I saw the following video on the Mavic forum yesterday:

Tried it this morning and the improvement was nothing short of incredible. Apparently with sharpness set at 0 or in the minus realm, noise reduction kicks in and absolutely destroys the detail in the darker areas. Setting the sharpness to +1 cleared it up remarkably.

As an experienced photographer, I never considered this solution to such a perplexing problem. It seems counter-intuitive to link noise reduction to sharpness in this manner, yet the results are dramatic.

Thanks to a great community and forum, I now have a solution to a highly frustrating challenge that others are likely experiencing.

Bottom line.... do not send your drone back to DJI for this problem without trying this straight forward solution. While other issues may exist, you might wish to consider this approach first.

Barry
Is there a setting for this on the X4s?

Yes, under the camera controls on the right side of the screen under Video, select STYLE
Prefect, I just don't remember seeing a sharpness related style. Which style are you referring to? Apologies, I'm just not in front of my equipment at the moment.

17 is the area you press to enter a screen that allows you to select STYLE. The settings are for sharpness, contrast and saturation. Hope this helps.
Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 2.36.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 2.37.48 PM.png

Reactions: **Kyle**
17 is the area you press to enter a screen that allows you to select STYLE. The settings are for sharpness, contrast and saturation. Hope this helps.
View attachment 13227
View attachment 13229
You sir, are a gentlemen and a scholar! Much obliged! Can't wait to try this out. Just last night I was scratching my head wondering why the heck the picture wasn't as clear and videos weren't turning out as I'd like. (Sigh of relief) :)

Barry

Great post Barry!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BonnieTret