Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

SUAV Training?

Reaction score
Website
www.zuraproductions.com
While I'm waiting on my Section 333 Exemption (submitted 10-5, posted 12-3, status pending), I'm wondering what kind of SUAV training would be wise to invest my time and money in. I am not a licensed pilot, but was considering getting a Sports Pilots license. However, by the time I completed that, chances are the FAA will be close to issuing their requirements, and not require a standard pilots license.

So, I'm wondering and researching what kind of training I can take online right now that is likely to get me a few steps ahead for when the FAA issues it's training / certification requirements. I'm sure that General Aviation Knowledge and Aeronautical Maps / Navigation will be required.

There's a plethora of websites offering such training. But it's kinda like the Wild West out there in this industry. I'm sure there are reputable training sites, but also some opportunists. I won't mention names here, but I just went to a website that has a HUGE sequential curriculum for unmanned aerial systems that would be quite lengthy and pricey- and I get the feeling I'd be able to operate a 747 by remote control when I've completed their entire run.

I'm a 20+ year professional independent TV /video cameraman, and I'm chomping at the bit to be able to offer my Inspire work to my clients.

If anyone has any experience / insights into taking training in preparation for likely FAA requirements, I'd love to get started!

Has anyone taken the Unmanned Safety Institute Safety Awareness Training 2016 online for $225.

As I await my 333, I would like to educate myself on areas likely to be on the long-awaited, hopefully soon released FAA Knowledge Test for UAS Piloting.

While I'm waiting on my Section 333 Exemption (submitted 10-5, posted 12-3, status pending), I'm wondering what kind of SUAV training would be wise to invest my time and money in. I am not a licensed pilot, but was considering getting a Sports Pilots license. However, by the time I completed that, chances are the FAA will be close to issuing their requirements, and not require a standard pilots license.

So, I'm wondering and researching what kind of training I can take online right now that is likely to get me a few steps ahead for when the FAA issues it's training / certification requirements. I'm sure that General Aviation Knowledge and Aeronautical Maps / Navigation will be required.

There's a plethora of websites offering such training. But it's kinda like the Wild West out there in this industry. I'm sure there are reputable training sites, but also some opportunists. I won't mention names here, but I just went to a website that has a HUGE sequential curriculum for unmanned aerial systems that would be quite lengthy and pricey- and I get the feeling I'd be able to operate a 747 by remote control when I've completed their entire run.

I'm a 20+ year professional independent TV /video cameraman, and I'm chomping at the bit to be able to offer my Inspire work to my clients.

If anyone has any experience / insights into taking training in preparation for likely FAA requirements, I'd love to get started!
UK based Flight Training School/Academy

Would be happy to help out but think it might be just a little too far for you to travel. :p

Reactions: Droneworx
Has anyone taken the Unmanned Safety Institute Safety Awareness Training 2016 online for $225.

As I await my 333, I would like to educate myself on areas likely to be on the long-awaited, hopefully soon released FAA Knowledge Test for UAS Piloting.

As noted before drone university USA is possibly the only training course available that focuses on the upcoming FAA FAR Part 107.

I know it is a distance from where you are but doing this online is incomparable to actually learning hands-on.

From a holder of a commercial pilot certificate:
There's a ton of people offering "UAV training" and "guaranteeing" you will pass the FAA test. They all seem to offer what appears to be a Private Pilot Ground School course with some UAV stuff sprinkled throughout the course. If you really need to sit in a classroom (some folks learn better that way), go to your local airport and find a Ground School course. You can give the UAV "Schools" your hard earned $ or conduct your own self-study program, starting with the FAA Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge 2008, which I can bet you the FAA will base the UAS Operator certificate test on. If you are like me and prefer to hold a real book in your hands, the PHAK is $19.95 from Amazon and covers Aerodynamics and principles of flight, weather, airports, navigation, airspace, aeronautical charts; all topics you can expect to see in the FAA's test.
If you prefer to read in your Ipad, the entire handbook is available free from the FAA's website:

Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge

BTW, the FAA does not attempt to spring any test surprises on you, they even offer study guides here:

Airman Knowledge Test Guides

So, expect to see a UAS Operator study guide published by the FAA before the test comes out. In the mean time, invest your time in studying the PHAK so you are ready when the test comes...just my 2 cents.

There's a ton of people offering "UAV training" and "guaranteeing" you will pass the FAA test. They all seem to offer what appears to be a Private Pilot Ground School course with some UAV stuff sprinkled throughout the course. If you really need to sit in a classroom (some folks learn better that way), go to your local airport and find a Ground School course. You can give the UAV "Schools" your hard earned $ or conduct your own self-study program, starting with the FAA Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge 2008, which I can bet you the FAA will base the UAS Operator certificate test on. If you are like me and prefer to hold a real book in your hands, the PHAK is $19.95 from Amazon and covers Aerodynamics and principles of flight, weather, airports, navigation, airspace, aeronautical charts; all topics you can expect to see in the FAA's test.
If you prefer to read in your Ipad, the entire handbook is available free from the FAA's website:

BTW, the FAA does not attempt to spring any test surprises on you, they even offer study guides here:

So, expect to see a UAS Operator study guide published by the FAA before the test comes out. In the mean time, invest your time in studying the PHAK so you are ready when the test comes...just my 2 cents.

Thank you for that information. Exactly what I was looking for!

THANKS- looks like I'll have my work cut out for me!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide