Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Suggestion: DJI GO "PRO" and DJI GO "NOT Pro"

Reaction score
Based on some comments that I've noted in some posts from the last few weeks I have an idea, which somebody else may already have had but I personally haven't seen yet. So Editor, please correct me if I've missed it. Anyway, we should petition DJI to release two versions of the DJI GO app. A PRO version that has no advertising (such as that for the Osmo) and gets rid of the Director section and the social media nonsense. Let's call that DJI GO PRO, gotta make sure there's a space in the name or there might be issues. I think there are probably a lot of people here that simply want an app that concentrates on the things that every serious pilot is trying to do: flight and photography. Remove the bloat, simplify the app and make it more stable with less extra features not dedicated to flight control and camera control. Personally I'd be willing to pay for that. Leave the free version with all the bloat for the Phantom pilots and dedicate the PRO version to the Inspire. Anybody else think that might be a good idea?

Reactions: Phatzo and DaBone
Why shouldn't it also be available on the phantom?

I'm pretty sure dji doesn't care what customers want anyway though. No one wanted that social media crap in the first place, lol!

My logic for not making the PRO version available on the Phantom is that we Inspire users have made the larger investment in what we believe is a more capable and more professional platform than the Phantom. The fact that DJI came out with what they call the Phantom 3 "Professional" is probably somewhat irksome to some of us that made the educated decision to buy the Inspire based on its expandability via modular camera etc. Thus, a PRO app for us, not pro for Phantom. Again, just an idea, all feedback welcome.

Based on some comments that I've noted in some posts from the last few weeks I have an idea, which somebody else may already have had but I personally haven't seen yet. So Editor, please correct me if I've missed it. Anyway, we should petition DJI to release two versions of the DJI GO app. A PRO version that has no advertising (such as that for the Osmo) and gets rid of the Director section and the social media nonsense. Let's call that DJI GO PRO, gotta make sure there's a space in the name or there might be issues. I think there are probably a lot of people here that simply want an app that concentrates on the things that every serious pilot is trying to do: flight and photography. Remove the bloat, simplify the app and make it more stable with less extra features not dedicated to flight control and camera control. Personally I'd be willing to pay for that. Leave the free version with all the bloat for the Phantom pilots and dedicate the PRO version to the Inspire. Anybody else think that might be a good idea?
Better if Dji just removed all the bloatware from the free go app, there are other good apps available that you can pay for already.

I'm looking at the Autpilot app, I would prefer the Litchi app but I'm using an iPad Air 2, and Litchi is only on android, by the time you have bought a second tablet for the slave RC as well, I would have to buy two more tablets for android, I just wish that all the app developers would accommodate users of both formats. Your right though, no body seems very interested in all the social media additions.

My logic for not making the PRO version available on the Phantom is that we Inspire users have made the larger investment in what we believe is a more capable and more professional platform than the Phantom. The fact that DJI came out with what they call the Phantom 3 "Professional" is probably somewhat irksome to some of us that made the educated decision to buy the Inspire based on its expandability via modular camera etc. Thus, a PRO app for us, not pro for Phantom. Again, just an idea, all feedback welcome.

Phantom had a pro version long before the inspire did. They are both very capable and the only real difference is that the inspire can handle more wind. In truth neither the phantom or inspire is close to actually being professional grade, it's just a marketing ploy. If any improvements are made there is no logical reason to arbitrarily block it from being used on a phantom.

Reactions: MarqueGlisson
Wasn't the Phantom 3 "Professional" released after the Inspire 1? Before that I thought the models of Phantom were "Phantom", "Phantom Vision", "Phantom 2", "Phantom 2 Vision", and "Phantom 2 Vision Plus". Or are you referring to the newly released Inspire 1 Pro in comparison to the Phantom 3 Professional?

I suppose a lot of this is just personal opinion. The bottom line is always going to be the results that you are able to achieve in your finished deliverables. I'm just looking at ways to differentiate in my local market between guys that are advertising aerial photography with nothing other than a Phantom 3 and that's their only investment, and the investment that I've got into it so far. SO FAR. I'm looking at adding an Inspire 1 Pro to my stable as well.

Wasn't the Phantom 3 "Professional" released after the Inspire 1? Before that I thought the models of Phantom were "Phantom", "Phantom Vision", "Phantom 2", "Phantom 2 Vision", and "Phantom 2 Vision Plus". Or are you referring to the newly released Inspire 1 Pro in comparison to the Phantom 3 Professional?

I suppose a lot of this is just personal opinion. The bottom line is always going to be the results that you are able to achieve in your finished deliverables. I'm just looking at ways to differentiate in my local market between guys that are advertising aerial photography with nothing other than a Phantom 3 and that's their only investment, and the investment that I've got into it so far. SO FAR. I'm looking at adding an Inspire 1 Pro to my stable as well.
I was referring to the inspire pro. The phantom pro and inspire have the extract same camera specs, as far as viewing footage from either the phantom 3 or an inspire you wouldn't be able to tell a difference. Not sure what about the inspire you feel makes it so superior? They each have pros and cons and in some ways the phantom is actually better. Having an inspire doesn't give you any advantage over someone with a phantom unless you film exclusively in high winds, lol

Agreed on the camera front. I think it's the same sensor if I'm not mistaken. Certainly the one big pro for the Phantom would be size as it's easier to transport and find backpacks for etc. Coolness factor on the Inspire is much higher and the perception of professionalism to the uninitiated should be higher with the Inspire. The modularity was the big one for me when I first bought it. Oddly enough I try to avoid filming on windy days. ;-) Go figure. Anyway, I still find it annoying that DJI came out with the Phantom 3 "Professional" with basically the same camera we have at a significantly lower price. Doesn't mean I want to get rid of my I1 tho.

Agreed on the camera front. I think it's the same sensor if I'm not mistaken. Certainly the one big pro for the Phantom would be size as it's easier to transport and find backpacks for etc. Coolness factor on the Inspire is much higher and the perception of professionalism to the uninitiated should be higher with the Inspire. The modularity was the big one for me when I first bought it. Oddly enough I try to avoid filming on windy days. ;-) Go figure. Anyway, I still find it annoying that DJI came out with the Phantom 3 "Professional" with basically the same camera we have at a significantly lower price. Doesn't mean I want to get rid of my I1 tho.
Yea the modular design should've been a plus but they didn't have any other cameras that fit it and never released the handheld camera handle till now and even still you need a whole new mounting plate to put a new camera on the inspire and in my opinion the original camera quality isn't good enough to even want to use the handheld plus they make you buy a whole new camera even if you already have one and there are so many better camera options out there so it's didn't really work as advertised.

Why a Inspire1 is considered PRO and a Phantom (any) isn't?

A pro pilot is not allowed to operate the sensors (camera) while flying. In theory he's not even allowed to push the record button while flying. He is only allowed to turn the camera on before take off and the gimbal should be fixed or automatically pointed to a POI by an app. The pilot is not allowed to use the screen for navigating. Only VLOS and an occasional glance at the telemetry.

That's why I got the I1. Because it has the option for a second remote for a separate camera (sensor) operator.

A P2 or P3 doesn't have this option and probably will never get it because they were/are solely positioned towards the consumer.

We don't have laws here against a pilot operating the camera. Hell, half of it is operated by the remote control, so never requires taking your eyes off the bird if you don't want to.
We do have laws here against flying FPV and beyond VLOS, but I've never seen anywhere that says the pilot can't also control the camera.
Having said that, I'd much prefer the camera be in someone else's control in tricky flying conditions or locations. I really HATE the very restricted view from the FPV, and feel far too nervous as to what might be behind or beside the bird that I can't see. So I would love to separate either the piloting, or the camera controlling, and do one or the other rather than both. It's why I bought the dual controller version. But to my knowledge it's not illegal in Australia to do both. I've certainly done jobs where I've had to be both. MOST of my jobs I've been both.

Why a Inspire1 is considered PRO and a Phantom (any) isn't?

A pro pilot is not allowed to operate the sensors (camera) while flying. In theory he's not even allowed to push the record button while flying. He is only allowed to turn the camera on before take off and the gimbal should be fixed or automatically pointed to a POI by an app. The pilot is not allowed to use the screen for navigating. Only VLOS and an occasional glance at the telemetry.

That's why I got the I1. Because it has the option for a second remote for a separate camera (sensor) operator.

A P2 or P3 doesn't have this option and probably will never get it because they were/are solely positioned towards the consumer.
Simple elitism, both have same camera and range but inspire cost more so people who own one mistakenly think they are better described as pro, when in reality neither of them really are in most cases, both are in others, the tool doesn't make the professional, lol

We don't have laws here against a pilot operating the camera. Hell, half of it is operated by the remote control, so never requires taking your eyes off the bird if you don't want to.
We do have laws here against flying FPV and beyond VLOS, but I've never seen anywhere that says the pilot can't also control the camera.
Having said that, I'd much prefer the camera be in someone else's control in tricky flying conditions or locations. I really HATE the very restricted view from the FPV, and feel far too nervous as to what might be behind or beside the bird that I can't see. So I would love to separate either the piloting, or the camera controlling, and do one or the other rather than both. It's why I bought the dual controller version. But to my knowledge it's not illegal in Australia to do both. I've certainly done jobs where I've had to be both. MOST of my jobs I've been both.

I agree with everything you say. I fly/film alone a lot as well. Filming is never an issue as long as you keep the gimbal pointed forward. Officially you still need an observer, always. However, as soon as you need to turn or pitch the gimbal you would officially also need a camera operator.
That's in the Netherlands and I thought in the UK as well.
We're in the last stage of finishing our OPS manual and this was something that was discussed quite in detail with our flight school trainer.
So a RPAS/UAV team always at least consists of 2 people.
Automatic and dynamic functions like Focus mode in Autopilot are great with this respect and in fact, the only function we are allowed to use right now. It saves you the cost of 1 extra person.

Simple elitism, both have same camera and range but inspire cost more so people who own one mistakenly think they are better described as pro, when in reality neither of them really are in most cases, both are in others, the tool doesn't make the professional, lol
There will be some people having the I1 just because they can afford it and feel themselves elite, sure. I agree with you that the Inspire1 doesn't make anyone a pro.
Only ground school, flight training, a well written and certified OPS manual, a aircraft certification and registration, and a professional business model, does that. It's just that the I1 is the choice for professional use if you need dynamic gimbal. because you CAN, with a extra controller and operator.

The Inspire 1 and the Phantom 3 are both fantastic tools and certainly can both produce "professional" results. ie results capable of being used in marketing campaigns etc. But to say they both have the same capability is simply not true. One of the most useful features of the Inspire is beautifully smooth camera movements over 360 degrees, not just one plane. This allows camera follows (usually done by the second operator) that cannot be done with the Phantom. Just as an example, hover directly over a subject , point the camera straight down and then spin the camera sideways for a beautifully unique shot. There are many of these types of shots that cannot be done by the Phantom. A transverse to overhead pan whilst flying past a subject is not possible with the Phantom etc. etc. The fact that the landing gear goes up and out of the way to facilitate the 360 degree movement is priceless! And the ability to have a second operator control the camera whilst another flies is also a massive advantage. With a camera operator sitting and only concentrating at looking at a big monitor- controlling the camera, exposure, focus (with the X5), and all angles of the camera while someone else flies by looking at the aircraft and the monitor / telemetry is completely different to using the Phantom. The Inspire is a larger, heavier aircraft and whilst that makes it's flight times shorter per battery, it also makes it more stable and able to fly much better in anything but gentle winds. And when you get to strong winds, they are chalk and cheese with the Inspire being substantially more stable. I have had the Inspire in winds that were right at the limit of being able to fly against and not be blown away but the video was still beautifully stable. The Inspire also flies faster by quite a margin, and for motor sports this is a very useful. The Inspire is made of carbon fibre - the Phantom mainly plastic, and the Inspire has HDMI output for a host of uses including for the camera controller to view the live feed on a large screen which has to be seen to to see the massive advantage in framing shots. This of course can also facilitate a live feed for event shooting with the option of having no telemetry (just the video) for live broadcasts etc. And there is the facility to connect up to 6 slave remote controllers for large commercial shoots. And the various cameras that can be fitted to the Inspire is also a big advantage with the X5's interchangeable lenses, control of both shutter speed and aperture and even the capacity to use a remote focus device etc. making it a totally different proposition. There's probably more I can't remember at the moment, but to say that they are the same aircraft as the Phantom is simply not true. Having said that, I am not in any way "knocking" the Phantom - it is a fantastic UAV, and for any shoots that don't require any of the differences above, it will perform every bit as good as the Inspire. All I am saying is that to those who are saying they are the same machine and anyone who shells out the extra money has been ripped off - well, that's not true. They are different - the Inspire is a higher and more capable model than the Phantom, hence the extra cost. But if those extras are not what you need - then the Phantom is the best machine for you to buy - and it certainly does produce very good results.

A bunch of good stuff here but we've strayed a bit from the original idea, which was changing the app so that it has less fluff for Pro use.

The Inspire 1 and the Phantom 3 are both fantastic tools and certainly can both produce "professional" results. ie results capable of being used in marketing campaigns etc. But to say they both have the same capability is simply not true. One of the most useful features of the Inspire is beautifully smooth camera movements over 360 degrees, not just one plane. This allows camera follows (usually done by the second operator) that cannot be done with the Phantom. Just as an example, hover directly over a subject , point the camera straight down and then spin the camera sideways for a beautifully unique shot. There are many of these types of shots that cannot be done by the Phantom. A transverse to overhead pan whilst flying past a subject is not possible with the Phantom etc. etc. The fact that the landing gear goes up and out of the way to facilitate the 360 degree movement is priceless! And the ability to have a second operator control the camera whilst another flies is also a massive advantage. With a camera operator sitting and only concentrating at looking at a big monitor- controlling the camera, exposure, focus (with the X5), and all angles of the camera while someone else flies by looking at the aircraft and the monitor / telemetry is completely different to using the Phantom. The Inspire is a larger, heavier aircraft and whilst that makes it's flight times shorter per battery, it also makes it more stable and able to fly much better in anything but gentle winds. And when you get to strong winds, they are chalk and cheese with the Inspire being substantially more stable. I have had the Inspire in winds that were right at the limit of being able to fly against and not be blown away but the video was still beautifully stable. The Inspire also flies faster by quite a margin, and for motor sports this is a very useful. The Inspire is made of carbon fibre - the Phantom mainly plastic, and the Inspire has HDMI output for a host of uses including for the camera controller to view the live feed on a large screen which has to be seen to to see the massive advantage in framing shots. This of course can also facilitate a live feed for event shooting with the option of having no telemetry (just the video) for live broadcasts etc. And there is the facility to connect up to 6 slave remote controllers for large commercial shoots. And the various cameras that can be fitted to the Inspire is also a big advantage with the X5's interchangeable lenses, control of both shutter speed and aperture and even the capacity to use a remote focus device etc. making it a totally different proposition. There's probably more I can't remember at the moment, but to say that they are the same aircraft as the Phantom is simply not true. Having said that, I am not in any way "knocking" the Phantom - it is a fantastic UAV, and for any shoots that don't require any of the differences above, it will perform every bit as good as the Inspire. All I am saying is that to those who are saying they are the same machine and anyone who shells out the extra money has been ripped off - well, that's not true. They are different - the Inspire is a higher and more capable model than the Phantom, hence the extra cost. But if those extras are not what you need - then the Phantom is the best machine for you to buy - and it certainly does produce very good results.
True, but honestly I never turn my camera in my inspire anyway, I simply turn the whole uav, same end result. There are some differences and each machine has pros and cons but overall are they worth another $2k? Maybe not, but I do like my inspire.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop