Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Sun shade for iPad

I have the standard mini pad hat and pad hat Air. I can't say I'm completely satisfied. The sticky part is weak and even a slight breeze blows it off. I've added Velcro but in order to avoid putting the Velcro on the front face of the iPad, I have it stick to the back. I also use a thin case to protect the iPad which still allows for the magnet above. But that pulls the pad hat angle too far down.

I don't know what the pad had Velcro is like, but if the regular one had longer side tabs with Velcro that could reach around to the back that would be great. Now I'm stuck modifying $70 worth of Pad Hats.

I don't think the magnet causes any interference, but I haven't done an A/B comparison.

I like that they are very light and I can fold them up, squeeze them in the case and off I go. I don't like that the only color they had in stock at the time for my Mini was green :-/
Hello. The NanoStik wing tabs were designed for the regular user who wants to read or use their iPad outdoors. We started including the velcro packets for drone pilots to meet their more rigorous needs. We suggest putting the hook side of the velcro in the bezel of the surface of the iPad. It is easily removed and does not harm the iPad in any way. The wing tab length is designed to fit in the bezel. Longer wing tabs would not be practical for most users. However it should be quite easy to add longer pieces of adhesive velcro to them. Just be sure to cut them long enough and then fold back so that the exposed adhesive side is covered. Please understand we cannot be all things to all needs. We try to make the PadHat as universal as is possible but there will always be exceptions. We appreciate your comments and observations.

Hello. The NanoStik wing tabs were designed for the regular user who wants to read or use their iPad outdoors. We started including the velcro packets for drone pilots to meet their more rigorous needs. We suggest putting the hook side of the velcro in the bezel of the surface of the iPad. It is easily removed and does not harm the iPad in any way. The wing tab length is designed to fit in the bezel. Longer wing tabs would not be practical for most users. However it should be quite easy to add longer pieces of adhesive velcro to them. Just be sure to cut them long enough and then fold back so that the exposed adhesive side is covered. Please understand we cannot be all things to all needs. We try to make the PadHat as universal as is possible but there will always be exceptions. We appreciate your comments and observations.

Understand not being able to everything to everyone. But I wonder if the drone market is your big customer, doing a few refinements might be a good move for you. Releasing a specific model that's slightly stiffer, better angle, and fits well in the DJI controller mount for inpires and phantom 3's and you'd sell a bunch.

Keeping the design as is and creating a mixed review customer base can't be helping .

Understand not being able to everything to everyone. But I wonder if the drone market is your big customer, doing a few refinements might be a good move for you. Releasing a specific model that's slightly stiffer, better angle, and fits well in the DJI controller mount for inpires and phantom 3's and you'd sell a bunch.

Keeping the design as is and creating a mixed review customer base can't be helping .
The drone market discovered us en masse in February. We did not seek it out. We listen and respond. That is why we started including the velcro kits.

As has been stated on threads on this forum:

The angle is determined by the science of glare and reflection. No amount of wishful criticism will change that fact. Most other shades do not work, ours do. We only know of one other shade on the market that truly blocks glare like the PadHat and it is not usable for drone pilots for a number of reasons.

Stiffer shades weigh more. Our shade is the lightest by far. Plus it opens wider for better access because it arches. If properly attached the shade keeps it shape.

It takes time to design and bring a product to market. Of course we are testing future designs. Again, this has been since February that our sales rocketed because of drone pilots... we must be doing something right if 100s of pilots enthusiastically use our shades and send us pics and videos.

We did not design the Inspire mount and how far it opens. But we did come up with a solution that works. Those who understand how to mount the iPad air with the PadHat know to put the shade on the iPad first then push the top edge of the iPad with shade into the top of the mount first, then press in the bottom for a firm fit.

Reactions: sirnikolas
The drone market discovered us en masse in February. We did not seek it out. We listen and respond. That is why we started including the velcro kits.

As has been stated on threads on this forum:

The angle is determined by the science of glare and reflection. No amount of wishful criticism will change that fact. Most other shades do not work, ours do. We only know of one other shade on the market that truly blocks glare like the PadHat and it is not usable for drone pilots for a number of reasons.

Stiffer shades weigh more. Our shade is the lightest by far. Plus it opens wider for better access because it arches. If properly attached the shade keeps it shape.

It takes time to design and bring a product to market. Of course we are testing future designs. Again, this has been since February that our sales rocketed because of drone pilots... we must be doing something right if 100s of pilots enthusiastically use our shades and send us pics and videos.

We did not design the Inspire mount and how far it opens. But we did come up with a solution that works. Those who understand how to mount the iPad air with the PadHat know to put the shade on the iPad first then push the top edge of the iPad with shade into the top of the mount first, then press in the bottom for a firm fit.

As of February, I've been one of your 100's of pilots as I own a Mini and an Air. But only now am I expressing my criticism, since now having used it a bunch, and I can't say I love it.

Admittedly, I certainly should have bought the velcro one first, but was intrigued by the sticky version, which clearly isn't working for me. Your page stated the standard one works "For most situations..." but even the slightest breeze releases the tabs. It's he nature of it being on a transmitter, and us moving around, changing the directions we are facing relative to wind direction, etc.

I'm sure they would be fine if I was sitting on the beach or a park bench using my iPad outside.

Hoodivision is absolutely an overpriced piece of crap. I have one and attempted to use it and it just simply does not work. The angle is completely wrong and it will constantly come loose with the slightest movement. It would probably work for sitting in a beach chair and reading but even that's a stretch. $40.00.?? It's worth about 8 bucks and that's too much.

the Summitt link on amazon is great. Very high quality and a reasonable price for something that works and is solidly attached. I have 2 one for the mini and the larger size for regular iPad and my tab s 10.5. You do have to make a couple of small cuts for the cable, and make sure you get the inspire version without the tripod mount... the big one was 29 bucks and the smaller 27. They are the best solution I've found yet short of using goggles.
We do appreciate insightful criticism based on facts.
So we would like to clear up some misconceptions in the above comment.

The PadHat sells for $29.95, not $40. The only place we can figure that $40 number came from was either the commenter lives outside the US and had to pay shipping or is referring to an earlier different model that sold for $36.95.

In our tests the shade brand he mentions does not block any glare... zero, unless you tip it so it does block a small bit around the edges. In fact we could find no difference with that shade on or off. We scientifically tested and determined the best height and angle that actually works. We have not found and tested another shade that works that will fit on a controller mount.

We have 100s of very pleased pro and amateur pilots using the PadHat. In fact the PadHat has been used on location in pro shoots in Iceland, Peru, Russia and all over the US. Pilots send us unsolicited comments, pics and videos praising how well they work

Our guess is that this commenter does not know how to properly attach the shade to the iPad and correctly install on the controller mount. Or perhaps he has a much older model that was a softer layered shade. Our PadHat model uses a custom laminated design that holds it shape in more rigorous applications and it weighs less than 4 ounces. Other shades weigh 2-5 times as much.

Last edited:
As of February, I've been one of your 100's of pilots as I own a Mini and an Air. But only now am I expressing my criticism, since now having used it a bunch, and I can't say I love it.

Admittedly, I certainly should have bought the velcro one first, but was intrigued by the sticky version, which clearly isn't working for me. Your page stated the standard one works "For most situations..." but even the slightest breeze releases the tabs. It's he nature of it being on a transmitter, and us moving around, changing the directions we are facing relative to wind direction, etc.

I'm sure they would be fine if I was sitting on the beach or a park bench using my iPad outside.
Hello. Perhaps you received one of the earlier orders that did not include velcro tab conversion packets. These allow you to convert the tabs to velcro for a strong stick. If you send us your name and address to [email protected] requesting the packet we will mail you one free of charge.

Also there was one early manufacturing run where some the wing tabs were accidentally sewn too high on the sides. This causes the wings to pull the tabs away. If your wing tabs are sewn to the sides of the wings instead of to the black binding along the bottom edge of the wing we will happily exchange it. There were only about 100 of these that got through and for that we apologize. Again please send your request to above email.

Also we offer an all velcro model, the PadHat Hybrid. But some people do not like attaching to the iPad or case so we offer both types.

Last edited:
I live in the U.S. Seattle specifically. Your shade does not do what you claim it to do . Period. I certainly tried many times every variation there could possibly be to using and attaching your shade including your own detailed instructions you sent in one of our email exchanges. The angle is 100% unusable. Any sort of movement on the operators part requires constant fiddling to keep it from blowing off or becoming misaligned. When I bought it the cost as I remember was every bit of 40.00...could it have been $36.95? Possibly I rounded to $40... I really don't care to go through all my past purchases to get the exact figure but The summitlink does in fact block glare and is far superior to the product you sold me in so many ways. For you to say that there is zero difference with it on or off is ludicrous and self serving... I would hope that people would consider the source...

If you came out with a new and better functioning model, why did you not contact me and offer to replace it with said model? You were made well aware of my dissatisfaction via the rather lengthy email exchange we had at the time. the weight that you mention on all of the shades On the market is so slight as to be unnoticeable.... It's a sunshade, how much can a few grams or even an ounce or two matter to a person in good physical health with a harness attached to a controller? Weight is barely a consideration as all of my gear is protected and transported in Microraptor cases and I sacrifice weight conservation for the piece of mind that my gear is protected from damage. Even when using a GPC backpack the shades I now use fold up compactly and can be stashed anywhere unnoticed. I stand by my statement that the product I received is extremely overpriced and not functional. It sits unused in a bag. It will probably be fine for a person on vacation reading in a lounge chair or towel on the beach and that is very likely how it will be used... should I see some one in that situation and I happen to have it I will gift it...
Hello Lucan. We were not aware if you had an older or newer model. We cannot compare forum avatar names with our customer list. If you contact us directly and let us know who you are we would be happy to discuss the possibility of an exchange as it directly benefits us that our customers are pleased and happy. We have worked directly with many amateur and pro pilots to test and compare different approaches and ideas. If that idea interests you please contact us at [email protected] and reference this thread and who you are.

But please understand that no company offers to replace its previous models with a new one. If you bought the older Hoodini, that was before we knew that drone pilots were looking for a solution. Just because a certain product does not completely solve your particular needs does not mean it is "crap". We never claimed or advertised the older model was for drone pilots. But interestingly enough we did start receiving emails from drone pilots who liked it. In fact we were at International Drone Day in San Diego and an Inspire 1 pilot using an older Hoodini came us to us to us and said how much he liked it and we saw him using it in camera competitions on that windy day. Five of our new PadHat shades were awarded as prizes for competitions and that pilot was one of the winners.

For you weight might not be an issue but for others it is. Many do not use a harness.

We again respectfully submit that the brand you have does not effectively block glare and reflection because of the shade height and angle. Please go out in the sun and try it on and off. The only difference we can see is that the framing helps to focus the eye a bit, which any shade will do, but does not block the glare itself. We would not state this if we did not test it ourselves. Again we did extensive research and testing on this subject and designed our shades to effectively block ambient glare and reflection which is the real problem. We will not sell a product that does not effectively block glare and reflection no matter how many claim the angle vs shade height does not matter. It does. If you have a different experience we would sincerely appreciate some pics showing the difference with your shades on and off at the same spot and time. And we mean "sincerely". If someone can show us where our testing and observations are incorrect that only helps us to get it right which is our goal for products and customers.

We completely stand by the fact that our shades are reasonably priced, work as presented, currently have the best solution on the market and are used by 100s of amateur and pilots, many who rave about them.

Please note we are contacted by pros and production companies who are repeat buyers. In fact producers for the Discovery channel recently used the PadHat on a shoot and just contacted us today to overnight them 2 more, whatever the shipping cost, for an upcoming shoot later this week. You should also know that they first purchased the brand you use and are now using PadHat shades.

I encourage you to contact us at [email protected] to continue a productive discussion about your particular experience and needs. Just please let us know you are Lucan so we can review previous email exchanges we may have had with you.

Last edited:
Reactions: HoodiVision
Hello Lucan. We were not aware if you had an older or newer model. We cannot compare forum avatar names with our customer list. If you contact us directly and let us know who you are we would be happy to discuss the possibility of an exchange as it directly benefits us that our customers are pleased and happy. We have worked directly with many amateur and pro pilots to test and compare different approaches and ideas. If that idea interests you please contact us at [email protected] and reference this thread and who you are.

But please understand that no company offers to replace its previous models with a new one. If you bought the older Hoodini, that was before we knew that drone pilots were looking for a solution. Just because a certain product does not completely solve your particular needs does not mean it is "crap". We never claimed or advertised the older model was for drone pilots. But interestingly enough we did start receiving emails from drone pilots who liked it. In fact we were at International Drone Day in San Diego and an Inspire 1 pilot using an older Hoodini came us to us to us and said how much he liked it and we saw him using it in camera competitions on that windy day. Five of our new PadHat shades were awarded as prizes for competitions and that pilot was one of the winners.

For you weight might not be an issue but for others it is. Many do not use a harness.

We again respectfully submit that the brand you have does not effectively block glare and reflection because of the shade height and angle. Please go out in the sun and try it on and off. The only difference we can see is that the framing helps to focus the eye a bit, which any shade will do, but does not block the glare itself. We would not state this if we did not test it ourselves. Again we did extensive research and testing on this subject and designed our shades to effectively block ambient glare and reflection which is the real problem. We will not sell a product that does effectively block glare and reflection no matter how many claim the angle vs shade height does not matter. It does. If you have a different experience we would sincerely appreciate some pics showing the difference with your shades on and off at the same spot and time. And we mean "sincerely". If someone can show us where our testing and observations are incorrect that only helps us to get it right which is our goal for products and customers.

We completely stand by the fact that our shades are reasonably priced, work as presented, currently have the best solution on the market and are used by 100s of amateur and pilots, many who rave about them.

Please note we are contacted by pros and production companies who are repeat buyers. In fact producers for the Discovery channel recently used the PadHat on a shoot and just contacted us today to overnight them 2 more, whatever the shipping cost, for an upcoming shoot later this week. You should also know that they first purchased the brand you use and are now using PadHat shades.

I encourage you to contact us at [email protected] to continue a productive discussion about your particular experience and needs. Just please let us know you are Lucan so we can review previous email exchanges we may have had with you.

Here are side by side photos shot outdoors at the same time of the Padhat and the competition. Only the PadHat offers actual and complete glare and reflection reduction. Other calendar.jpeg The 2 shades are shot side by side at the same angle with iPads off, home screen and the Apple calendar.

Attachments

• Other home screen.jpeg
    Other home screen.jpeg
    557.7 KB · Views: 45
  • PadHat calendar.jpeg
    PadHat calendar.jpeg
    299.7 KB · Views: 53
  • PadHat home screen.jpeg
    PadHat home screen.jpeg
    509.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Padhat iPad off.jpeg
    Padhat iPad off.jpeg
    292.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Side by side calendar.jpeg
    Side by side calendar.jpeg
    610.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Side by side iPads off 1.jpeg
    Side by side iPads off 1.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Hello. Perhaps you received one of the earlier orders that did not include velcro tab conversion packets. These allow you to convert the tabs to velcro for a strong stick. If you send us your name and address to [email protected] requesting the packet we will mail you one free of charge.

Also there was one early manufacturing run where some the wing tabs were accidentally sewn too high on the sides. This causes the wings to pull the tabs away. If your wing tabs are sewn to the sides of the wings instead of to the black binding along the bottom edge of the wing we will happily exchange it. There were only about 100 of these that got through and for that we apologize. Again please send your request to above email.

Also we offer an all velcro model, the PadHat Hybrid. But some people do not like attaching to the iPad or case so we offer both types.
Looks like I was shipped two of the ones with those known issues. No Velcro and tabs too high.

I'll email ya.
thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0524.JPG
    IMG_0524.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 35

Looks like I was shipped two of the ones with those known issues. No Velcro and tabs too high .
Customer service just replied. Thanks!
Thanks!!

I'm done with this after this post... The above pics are nothing short of staged hilarity....

No one that I know of will use their tablet completely flat on its back as you have them placed. Perhaps there is some one out there that prefers to do it that way but it makes little to no sense ergonomically speaking to have your
tablet oriented that way. Therein lies the flaw with your product. The angle is completely wrong to be of any use in real world application...

Have you ever flown a quad at all? You may want to try it, I think you may gain a certain insight that is just not possible through 3rd party feedback alone when designing any future products

Cswamp1.... I too had to make two small cuts into the Velcro pieces to allow for the cable... Took me about 8 minutes on the first hood and maybe 3 minutes on the second since I already knew where to lay out my tape markers from the first time.

As far as weight goes.... Perhaps I have spent too much time in the gym, but I find it very hard to believe that a grown man would struggle with the weight of the summitlink sunshade which after all this discussion I took out my digital scale and the large one weighed in at a whopping 388 grams after the two small cuts and the one for my iPad mini tips the scales at 193 grams...roughly 13.5 and 6.8 ounces respectively; hardly the stuff that will tax a mans strength for a solution THAT WORKS.

Unless and until I am willing to spend the 600 bucks on avegent glyph or the epson bt-200 becomes compatible with the inspire 1, a sunshade is really the only admittedly imperfect solution to be had that I know of at this time.

Btw I have nothing to do with either company... I like all of us on here have spent a shitload of money on this addictive hobby/business tool
and am having a blast doing so...

When I see someone badmouthing a product that I know works well for its intended use while claiming that theirs is the superior and best solution when my personal experience has shown otherwise, I feel it is fair and just to let others know what I have learned and use that information to help make their own conclusion before spending more money that we all know is going to get spent anyway...

I sincerely hope I have not offended anyone.

And thanks for the offer hoodiman, but after looking at those photos above and my previous experience with you and your products, I must respectfully decline.
We are sorry you seem to misunderstand that the angle view of both shades as photographed is the angle for viewing on the Inspire mount. The viewing angle is relative to the angle view of the iPad, not the surface it is sitting on as we showed you here on our website. We took the photos at approximately a 60 degree angle from the level the iPads are placed. We did not use any auto exposure. We posted the raw photos so there would be no claims of Photoshopping, etc. In fact if you hold the controller at less of an angle then our shade requires you will find that the other shade shows even less that small shade along the sides. Again we ask you to show us photos of the shade you use blocking glare and reflection on the iPad. We did not mislead with the pics and your insinuation that we did so is sad and disappointing.

We have watched many Inspire pilots use their controllers with our PadHat shades. As quoted by one pilot on a different thread "the angle is a necessary evil" because that is the real world physics of how it works. We do not arbitrarily decide the necessary angle and shade height, the physics exist on their own. The fact is that our shade shields against virtually all glare and reflection and the brand you use does not. Denial does not change facts.

We do not mislead intentionally or otherwise and any claim or intimation to the contrary is completely false. We present the facts and the pros who use our PadHat shades clearly know what they are doing.

Perhaps you need to take a deep breath and see the irony in your statement "When I see someone badmouthing a product that I know works well for its intended use while claiming that theirs is the superior and best solution..." because we did not call the other product "crap" as you claimed about ours. We stated the facts and showed conclusive evidence about your chosen product and you have not presented any evidence to prove otherwise.

We have offered to communicate with you directly and help to see if we can help solve your misgivings including offering to exchange your old shade free of charge for the new one. What would you have to lose? We would have even offered you a full refund on your original purchase even though the guarantee limit has passed. But since you are clearly not open to it we wish you luck in your flying and search for the perfect set up.

And FTR we are "HoodiVision", not "hoodiman". Hoodiman is too close to Hoodman which is a different company that sells monitor shades to filmaking professionals. They like us do not deserve implied disrespect and derision.

Last edited:
I have found a very simple hood for the ipad air 2,easy to make and works well in the field

see it in action

Attachments

• hood1.jpg
    hood1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 19
  • hood 3.jpg
    hood 3.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 20
  • hood2.jpg
    hood2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
Reactions: jamesbastable
You're never going to get a perfect view on a bright day but this cardboard I have used is doing the trick and throught time i might find a better material but for nowthis is working fine and is very reasonable and easy to install

We just received this unsolicited from Jim Bonnardel, owner of DIY Drones.com and the president of Silent Electric Flyers of San Diego:

"I wanted to comment on the perfect angle of the PadHat.

There are a few guys showing up at the field with other brand shades, as well as home made ones.

Everyone complains about the glare and reflection. With the other shades, at a 90 degree angle, the screens are a perfect mirror showing the pilot their own reflection.

Hoodivision shades have that perfect angle that completely eliminates that. As soon as I show them my shades, they realize that the PadHat is the best out there."

We thank Jim for his impartial and factual observation.

FTR 90 degree box shades do not block any glare and reflection. A 90 degree straight shade would need to be 20-24" high to block glare and reflection like a PadHat shade.

Well, I have just ordered the PadHat Mini for my iPad. I have an iShade and its not ideal at all. Have to cut a hole in the side of it to allow for the cable and the glare is still very apparent.

I dont like giving a product negative reviews, but the iShade is not working out for me on an iPad Mini. Having said this, with a few modifications it could work well, but as it stands it not a solution going forward, at least for me anyway.

I am awaiting delivery of the PadHat, im in the UK so it will take a while to get here sadly!

As soon as it arrives it will be tested, and it will be tested well and I will give my HONEST opinion to members of this forum.

I just received my replacement Pad Hats, for replacing my faulty units. Now I see that the angle is much better.

Thanks for the quick response and great communication!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fastprintstar