Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Super noisy D-Log after v1.4.0.70 update?

Reaction score
I shot a beautiful sunset tonight and after reviewing the footage I am quite disappointed. The footage is very noise, even though I was ETTR (Exposing To The Right). The footage is much sharper than before but it honestly looks like garbage. I really worry now that this won't be usable unless the conditions are very bright - I was shooting throughout golden hour and all the footage is very noisy even when it was bring test.

Thoughts?

What settings (shutter speed, aperture, ISO), and what lens? And can you post an example?

Thanks.

I was overexposed by 0.3 stops according to the histogram. I was shooting at 25fps, 1/50 shutter speed, iso 100 and f5.6 so the footage should be sharp and motion should look correct.

I'll get a sample video ready.

Yep although sharpness has improved the update has introduced terrible noise. I've tried a few different settings over the weekend with no luck. Rolled back to previous firmware.

It's a known trade-off between sharpness and noise and when noise is bad you can usually reduce it but the effect is a reduction in sharpness. If sharpness is too low you can increase it but usually at the expense of noise.

My guess is DJI received a lot of complaints about the sharpness of the camera and have increased the sharpness. I do not have the update and haven't tested it, but could someone confirm what the new default settings are for sharpness?

Brian

It's a known trade-off between sharpness and noise and when noise is bad you can usually reduce it but the effect is a reduction in sharpness. If sharpness is too low you can increase it but usually at the expense of noise.

My guess is DJI received a lot of complaints about the sharpness of the camera and have increased the sharpness. I do not have the update and haven't tested it, but could someone confirm what the new default settings are for sharpness?

Brian

They are the same as previously all I think they have done is like you said up'd the sharpness levels across the whole range of shooting modes, But where as before you could shoot in "None" mode and be happy as that was sharp the increase in sharpness here has boosted the noise levels even worse than DLog so that setting is not usable at all now. So now you have DLog - Noise level not acceptable and None which is like a mass of fuzz!

I am actually pretty furious about this.

Previously, the D-Log setting was very soft and we were forced to shoot in "None" at the expense of flexibility in post.

Now in D-Log there is good sharpness, but any shadows are just full of noise. It is very sunny here today, I was shooting in D-Log at 1/50 sec, iso 100, f 5.6 and 4 stops of ND filter. My brights are lovely and sharp but everything in the mids in shadows is a wash with noise. DJI have really f*cked us over with their lack of camera expertise.

This is a multi thousand £/$ professional multi-rotor with the same size sensor as the GH4 and similar - we should be able to get professional level results, not cinema quality, but at iso 100 my shadows and mids should not be nearly as grainy on a summer day.

Clip to follow.

I am actually pretty furious about this.

Previously, the D-Log setting was very soft and we were forced to shoot in "None" at the expense of flexibility in post.

Now in D-Log there is good sharpness, but any shadows are just full of noise. It is very sunny here today, I was shooting in D-Log at 1/50 sec, iso 100, f 5.6 and 4 stops of ND filter. My brights are lovely and sharp but everything in the mids in shadows is a wash with noise. DJI have really f*cked us over with their lack of camera expertise.

This is a multi thousand £/$ professional multi-rotor with the same size sensor as the GH4 and similar - we should be able to get professional level results, not cinema quality, but at iso 100 my shadows and mids should not be nearly as grainy on a summer day.

Clip to follow.

Good job you never tried shooting in "none" because it's now 4 times worse than D-Log! I've rolled back to the previous firmware and just shoot in "none" again. I have reported it to DJI

Last edited:
@Richard Hurst I'm honestly quite annoyed. Maybe i expected too much from this Inspire Pro. I bought it to replace a phantom 3, and apart from the 2 operator mode I must say I don't think the progression is as much as DJI (and the price points) might have you think.

Very disappointed with the video from today, I think a roll back is in the coming days for me too.

Did you email [email protected] or equivalent?

@Richard Hurst I'm honestly quite annoyed. Maybe i expected too much from this Inspire Pro. I bought it to replace a phantom 3, and apart from the 2 operator mode I must say I don't think the progression is as much as DJI (and the price points) might have you think.

Very disappointed with the video from today, I think a roll back is in the coming days for me too.

Did you email [email protected] or equivalent?

Yes I emailed them and the Beta team, Just had response from the Beta team to say they are looking in to it. I'm totally with you on the fact for the money we should be getting a stable platform with good capability. People are saying they are waiting for the X5R but it will be no different from the X5, yes it can shoot a better quality RAW at a higher bit rate but if it has the same firmware running it as we have on the X5, which controls all the modes and sharpness,contrast and saturation values then it's doomed as well!

I purchased a P3 Pro which I'm now liking more and more for it's simplicity of just putting the props on and up she goes, no having to balance gimbals and add weights or balancing rings etc.

Reactions: Djalma Ribeiro
Thats why i always wait a few days before updating any dji product... Sorry to hear OP.

Btw for those who want to use DLOG with the previous firmware like me and get sharp dlog.
you select Dlog
+ Style --> Custom +2 sharpness. Its how its supose to be.

Reactions: tweaker
@Richard Hurst I agree - I wouldn't expect more from the X5R other than a higher bitrate for your noise. Good to hear from the beta team - i emailed my support in too and let my supplier know my thoughts.

@Predator Is that so? Does this work? I can't believe we had to wait for an update to address sharpness and when we got it it blew noise all over the picture, even in RAW, and even when exposed to the right and pulled down in post. I'll be rolling back tonight i think...

They are the same as previously all I think they have done is like you said up'd the sharpness levels across the whole range of shooting modes, But where as before you could shoot in "None" mode and be happy as that was sharp the increase in sharpness here has boosted the noise levels even worse than DLog so that setting is not usable at all now. So now you have DLog - Noise level not acceptable and None which is like a mass of fuzz!

I was afraid of that and if true DJI have once again demonstrated how little they know about cameras. This would not be much of a problem were it not for the fact it's basically there camera and they have control over the firmware for it.

They are demonstrating there ignorance of the tech -- kind of like this pic...

What's wrong in this picture?

Brian

Reactions: gruvpix
Compare and contrast DJI with Apple, who also have vertical integration. DJI need to up their game or I'll be looking to carry cameras of my own choice on custom copters over using an integrated product like the Inspire Pro again.

Yeah, as this industry matures I expect to see third party gimbal and camera kits you could add to a roll-your-own copter and maybe then we could have an actual good camera like the Panasonic GH4. DJI looks to be trying to lock everyone into integrated systems that include components they are not terrible gifted at.

Brian

Thats why i always wait a few days before updating any dji product... Sorry to hear OP.

Btw for those who want to use DLOG with the previous firmware like me and get sharp dlog.
you select Dlog
+ Style --> Custom +2 sharpness. Its how its supose to be.
Snap!!!

Everyone keeps talking about how this fault with the X5 in Dlog mode is a sharpness issue. It's not.
If you make the player size about 1/3 smaller on your monitor, its fine, indicating that the pixels it should be are nowhere near what they actually are and 4K is looking more like 720p or worse!
It's seems to me that there is a fault with the resolution settings. Upping the sharpness is never going to fix it, just exaggerate the blocky imagery it is currently producing.
This is one royal screw up by DJI and is totally unacceptable, and we are now months down the line since launch of the X5 and this STILL isn't resolved.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EthanV875