Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Supermodel Siobhan Lacey at Michael H. Scott's $22m Beverly Hills Mansion

Reaction score
Here's some shots from a recent shoot for Los Angeles fashion photographer Arthur St. John, at the $22m mansion of Beverly Hills magnate Michael H. Scott. The model is Siobhan Lacey, makeup and hair is by Damaris Santana, the videographer in the shot is Enrique Calvillo. Music by Eric Matyas of SoundImage.org.
One of the coolest shoots ever!
Chris Ross Leong for dr1cam.com.

[

Last edited:
Here's some shots from a recent shoot for Los Angeles fashion photographer Arthur St. John, at the $22m mansion of Beverly Hills magnate Michael H. Scott. The model is Siobhan Lacey, makeup and hair is by Damaris Santana, the videographer in the shot is Enrique Calvillo. Music by Eric Matyas of SoundImage.org.
One of the coolest shoots ever!
Chris Ross Leong for dr1cam.com.

Link doesn't work

Nice house, lovely scenery, great images, spoiled by jerky drone control.

A very polite response to what was, on reflection, a bit of a rude comment.

I know it's often hard the get really smooth pans whilst ascending & pulling back all at the same time. Dual operators can help but so often this is not an option.

I reckon more than half of my more complex planned shots have some kind of 'kink' in them so I take most complex shots several times and hope that one of them makes the final cut.

I wish we had some of that light & skies over here in the UK!

I'm just jealous really ☹️

Thanks again!
Also, not every shoot goes entirely as planned. This mansion is on top of a hill, which is in turn on top of a series of steep gullies. Add some innocent-looking trees that are actually evergreen, but don't look like it (i.e. leaves that do not move in the wind), and take-one-only shooting conditions, then uphill gusts of 0-15kts, and you can see where the drone hits the upstream, going from still air into the current. Just at that height...

Anyway, and a separate matter, I also took to shooting almost entirely just watching the drone at that point because the second remote packed in (very intermittent signal) and my flying remote developed around a 2 second lag after a few minutes of flight. So most of the moves were sort of Kentucky windage, but over time as well as position.

The actual shots used were only seconds long, since they were B-roll support for the main stills shoot, so I think I got away with most of them. This little montage was just for us fellows...

BTW I have changed iPhone, Android, tablet, etc., airplane mode, video and map caches all off, and across Inspire, Phantom and Mavic and still can't get rid of the lag. In the case of the Mavic, it's about 3.5 seconds between a drone moving and the move coming up on screen, and that's distance independent, the same lag if the drone is 6ft or 600ft away - and to me that's almost unflyable. Any ideas?

BTW I have changed iPhone, Android, tablet, etc., airplane mode, video and map caches all off, and across Inspire, Phantom and Mavic and still can't get rid of the lag. In the case of the Mavic, it's about 3.5 seconds between a drone moving and the move coming up on screen, and that's distance independent, the same lag if the drone is 6ft or 600ft away - and to me that's almost unflyable. Any ideas?

Wow, 3.5 seconds is a bit extreme. I have always flown using an iPad Air or iPad Pro and never experienced anything more than about 1 second delay. Typically the delay feels like less than 0.5 seconds. I have always found the delay to be worse in areas that you would expect to have high levels if radio transmission and visa-versa.

I always try to fix the pan speed (not so easy using my shaky old fingers) for the duration of the shot rather than rely on hand to eye coordination which can be tricky even with just 0.5s delay. Other movements (strafe, ascend, etc.) are less critical and can usually be performed at will without risk of ruining the shot.

Good idea. I already turned the expo and limit down some, but I'll try more still. That's on the pan.
The camera tilt though is still a bit of a problem. I found myself doing a straight ascend on the drone using my right thumb on the left stick (in mode 2) while using my left fingers to get the tilt wheel to feather the camera move correctly as the drone rose. I know, that's not the way to do it, but with the screen lag and the current wall aloft that day, it was the only way I could get anything like a steady drone rise/tilt and spin combo going...

Something to do with YouTube's post processing? I dunno. Client requested 1080p30, BTW, so you're looking at a down-res'd master out of the Avid before YouTube got their hands on it.
I'll put another one up on Vimeo in a day or two, and link it here as well so we can see which works better.

Reactions: MobileAndMonitoring
I don't think the comment was rude at all. Lol. There are some great tools at our fingertips that can fix all those issues. With that being said, it was still very enjoyable with model xD

Another bit of criticism, I didn't notice any color correction. Good exposure for capturing shadow details, but without adjusting in post it just looks over exposed or flat. Welcome to the net where everybody has an outspoken opinion :p

Correct, no color correction, no fluid motion or speed ramp plug-ins, nothing like that (yet). Thanks though, this was mainly for fun, and for us fellows. The real deal is being edited, CCd etc by the editor. I just put this together on the fly, so as to have something up for you good people to comment on.

My android lags by 30 seconds sometimes. I have to work some voodoo to make it function properly. Clearing the cache, restarting the app, restarting the phone... but it doesn't always work. But after enough messing around it starts functioning properly. It does it on the osmo too. No idea what causes it. iPhone 7 plus always works perfect. Except for the screen dimming regardless of brightness settings which I've read happens when it gets too hot

So... maybe the fastest iOS devices only, for Go and Go 4 to work as advertised?
I'm fairly sure that as the updates get bigger and more complex, that what used to work just fine on a previous firmware update now needs more CPU and RAM to do make sure the "improvements" work properly...

Talking about improvements... anybody had any success in down-res'ing 4k to 1080p without any aliasing issues? I've tried three programs, including going through Avid, PPro and Resolve, and conversion programs like MPEG StreamClip, not always 100% successful...

Reactions: zpdana24
My coworker has the iPhone 6, it has really laggy and intermittent video feed. While the android works great once I get it to not lag. The dji apps just don't seem to be consistent at all.

I'd like to hear more about antialiasing results too. I use adobe after effects to process and color grade raw and then pp to assemble. Even before pp the down resolution file from after effects can ruin my skyline shots if I don't turn clarity down into the negatives. But again that's with raw. And I'm no expert with raw so the negative clarity setting probably isn't the best solution if I had to guess

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry