Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Switching between X5 and X3

Reaction score
I'm about to install an X5 camera/gimbal and V2 mounting board as an upgrade to my Inspire 1.
I'm quite comfortable with the upgrade process and firmware requirements etc, but my question is: if I want to switch back to using my X3 for a particular flight (e.g. perhaps a difficult environment where I want to do a trial flight with the X3 rather than risking the X5 and lens), will the X5(i.e. i1pro) firmware happily allow me to switch between the two different cameras?

I'm about to install an X5 camera/gimbal and V2 mounting board as an upgrade to my Inspire 1.
I'm quite comfortable with the upgrade process and firmware requirements etc, but my question is: if I want to switch back to using my X3 for a particular flight (e.g. perhaps a difficult environment where I want to do a trial flight with the X3 rather than risking the X5 and lens), will the X5(i.e. i1pro) firmware happily allow me to switch between the two different cameras?
Both the X5 and X3 can be used with the larger anti-vibration mount. The Gimbal electrical connections and lock are identical. The only difference is that the X5 has to engage into the key at the rear to fit correctly.

Yes the firmware will be able to determine which camera your using. I believe though that you have to load the Pro firmware on the inspire however. Double check though

Yes the firmware will be able to determine which camera your using. I believe though that you have to load the Pro firmware on the inspire however. Double check though
You cannot use the I1 Pro firmware on an upgraded I1 standard. It won't take. At present, you need to use the MicroSD in the X3 fitted to do any updates to the aircraft (eg. 1.4.0.10). Updates to the X5 firmware only (eg. 1.1.0.40) can be done through the X5 card port.

Well, theoretically this would work as the Inspire Pro FW senses whether X3 or X5:is fitted. The esc FW would be ignored so (in theory everything should work)
However, we are talking about DJI software here which can be flakey on a good day and I for one am not willing to try this 'Frankenstein Experimental' step. :eek:

You cannot use the I1 Pro firmware on an upgraded I1 standard. It won't take. At present, you need to use the MicroSD in the X3 fitted to do any updates to the aircraft (eg. 1.4.0.10). Updates to the X5 firmware only (eg. 1.1.0.40) can be done through the X5 card port.
Hmmm, I successfully updated the X5 camera firmware (to 1.1.0.40) and now I notice that the (previously updated via X3) Aircraft firmware has a little + sign after it... i.e. 1.4.00.10+
I can't be sure, but I don't remember seeing that before upgrading the camera using the Pro firmware.

Hmmm, I successfully updated the X5 camera firmware (to 1.1.0.40) and now I notice that the (previously updated via X3) Aircraft firmware has a little + sign after it... i.e. 1.4.00.10+
I can't be sure, but I don't remember seeing that before upgrading the camera using the Pro firmware.
The plus suffix indicates that the firmware has been upgraded beyond the formal release number 1.4.0.10. Check the hidden update .txt file to see how many sub-systems have had their firmware changed. On my I1 it was 4.

Pardon but I need to implore some help!
I have an I1 V2 with a X3 and 1.6.0.40 FW and I want to install a X5! Will it be as simple as installing the Pro 1.3.0.60 FW when I install my X5 or am I missing something here?
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Pardon but I need to implore some help!
I have an I1 V2 with a X3 and 1.6.0.40 FW and I want to install a X5 will it be as simple as installing the Pro 1.3.0.60 FW when I install my X5 or am I missing something here?
Thank you in advance!
You need a 2 stage update. I always update the aircraft first using the X3 with the I1 firmware and then fit the X5 to install the X5 firmware. The last X5 firmware download is identical to the I1 Pro version. Doing this ensures the appropriate sub-systems and cameras are correctly updated. If you turn on hidden files on your computer operating system you can see the more detailed software update log in the LOG folder on the MicroSD card.

Reactions: AKPhantom
You need a 2 stage update. I always update the aircraft first using the X3 with the I1 firmware and then fit the X5 to install the X5 firmware. The last X5 firmware download is identical to the I1 Pro version. Doing this ensures the appropriate sub-systems and cameras are correctly updated. If you turn on hidden files on your computer operating system you can see the more detailed software update log in the LOG folder on the MicroSD card.
Thank you, much appreciated!

Scotflieger is correct.
I updated the aircraft using the X3, and then again with the X5 (and I also updated all of the batteries).
I can switch between the X3 and X5 whenever I like and it works perfectly.
You may notice that the aircraft is a little more tricky during delicate manoeuvres when fitted with the X5 compared to the X3. I noticed it mainly when landing the aircraft onto the deck of a boat on a variable windy day...with the X5 it has a little more drift, but all good :)
(link to that shoot/boat :) )
immersed | 1 | 2

Reactions: Scotflieger
I'm looking to upgrade to an X5 so good to know that I can switch back to the X3 if needed.
One thought though - Should I happen to put a MicroSD card with the latest X5 firmware still on it into the X3, would that cause any problems with using the X3 (and vice versa)? Should I always use a clean card (ie no firmware files) in both X3 and X5 to avoid potential problems?

Reactions: Scotflieger
I'm looking to upgrade to an X5 so good to know that I can switch back to the X3 if needed.
One thought though - Should I happen to put a MicroSD card with the latest X5 firmware still on it into the X3, would that cause any problems with using the X3 (and vice versa)? Should I always use a clean card (ie no firmware files) in both X3 and X5 to avoid potential problems?
It shouldn't cause any problems, BUT........this is DJI so probably best to avoid it. :p

Reactions: damoncooper
As @The Editor says there should be no ill effects in mixing up the cards. I tend to update my I1 (Standard) using the I1 firmware via the X3 and then using the X5/I1Pro firmware (the last firmware update were identical)using the X5.

During the update process the version number for each subsystem (ie. Flight Controller, camera, ESC, etc) is checked to see if it needs updating on the first pass and then updated on the second pass. You can check the details by switching on hidden files on your computer and then look in MISC / LOG. This shows all recent update with the next at the bottom.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simon Mallin

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk