Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

T-Motor Carbon Fiber props

Soooo, I don't get these CF adapters. They are spin on? Haven't we all agreed that's a big issue when coupled with active braking? What magic do they employ to prevent spin off under hard braking like all the others? I would have thought the larger inertial loading of the aluminum would make this even more likely. How could this be more safe than the 1345T locking mechanism? It looks the opposite.

By comparison my 18" props on my heavies bolt straight into the motor bell. They're not going anywhere. I thought these were similar.

Reactions: slim.slamma
Haven't we all agreed that's a big issue when coupled with active braking? What magic do they employ to prevent spin off under hard braking like all the others? I would have thought the larger inertial loading of the aluminum would make this even more likely
I like you dude you speak your mind;)
I own a set but I'm cautious I use plumbers tape, sugar/honey water, loctite stay clear of platic. whatever works but why can't this guy make a prop locks similarly to dji did with the original locks not that 1345t mechanism?
I don't understand why LP can't understand why a locking mechanism is needed.
I don't like the theory of trust me because I say they work. Faith is not science
So thanks for your question @ianwood hopefully we get an answer.

Also Imo the original i1 props don't just fly off people just make mistakes.I used them for months with my own common sense solutions not faith based:p
LP adapters are awesome but human error will occur sooner or later.
Share that secret recipe Lp;)
LP plastic prop locks at 60 bucks sounds fair:D for customers:eek:

Soooo, I don't get these CF adapters. They are spin on? Haven't we all agreed that's a big issue when coupled with active braking? What magic do they employ to prevent spin off under hard braking like all the others? I would have thought the larger inertial loading of the aluminum would make this even more likely. How could this be more safe than the 1345T locking mechanism? It looks the opposite.

By comparison my 18" props on my heavies bolt straight into the motor bell. They're not going anywhere. I thought these were similar.

The LP adapters bring together aluminum spindle and motor mount. The props simply need to be hand-tightened to ensure their secure attachment. Some DJI 1345 self-tightening plastic props had imperfect threads and gave users feedback that they were properly tightened and secured when the thread was not fully seated on the motor. This lead to propellers unthreading with the active braking feature of the Inspire motors and led DJI to issue propeller locks as a result.

With the CNC machined aircraft aluminum billet LP adapter plates, improper threading construction is not a concern and propeller locks are not needed.

What?

The only data to possibly support a prop failure is an errant compass reading. It's also been modified with additional batteries, and data recording stops well short of ground.

Don't get your panties in a bunch. This simple flight log is not the evidence that led to the pilot's conclusion that he list a prop.

It was the fact that he, well, actually lost a prop.

Separate thread, I just posted the simple flight log here since it's typical, of a lost prop crash or ESC failure. They end the same way is my point - with a sad and predictable head-long tumble of the aircraft with the last words the aircraft uttered being

ATTI mode - gimbal reached end of limit -

Thud.

Some DJI 1345 self-tightening plastic props had imperfect threads and gave users feedback that they were properly tightened and secured when the thread was not fully seated on the motor. This lead to propellers unthreading with the active braking feature of the Inspire motors and led DJI to issue propeller locks as a result.

That I get. DJI's excellent quality control at work.

I am no physics expert, but I don't see how the mass of the adapters wouldn't create enough negative torque to partially or even fully unwind themselves. Might take an exceptionally aggressive move. I would want to see motor tests hard wired between receiver and motor, decelerating from full forward thrust to full reverse thrust as quickly as possible. Maybe LP has made videos of such tests?

That I get. DJI's excellent quality control at work.

I am no physics expert, but I don't see how the mass of the adapters wouldn't create enough negative torque to partially or even fully unwind themselves. Might take an exceptionally aggressive move. I would want to see motor tests hard wired between receiver and motor, decelerating from full forward thrust to full reverse thrust as quickly as possible. Maybe LP has made videos of such tests?

Hand tightening is all that's needed. Self-tighening props work by (original) DJI design, even with active braking. The shitty DJI manufacturing, QE and materials used in the threads of the original black props were the problem. A prop that's not completely wound onto the thread will absolutely fly off under active braking. And did. The aluminum adapters center of mass is directly over the drive shaft. Your mental model of mass being flung around I think is inaccurate. When hand tightened, it's not coming off with active braking.

Last edited:
Like Damon I use LP adapters and CF Props. I hand tighten the props before take off and check immediately on landing. In part I believe the benefit lies in the quality of the thread on the adapters. There are some "threaded" connectors where regardless of how hard you think you have tighten then, little force is needed to undo them (eg gas tank caps) while other have a sustained connection where a reasonable force is required for a number of turns to fully undo them. This is my understanding of the reason why I trust my current setup.

Like Damon I use LP adapters and CF Props. I hand tighten the props before take off and check immediately on landing. In part I believe the benefit lies in the quality of the thread on the adapters. There are some "threaded" connectors where regardless of how hard you think you have tighten then, little force is needed to undo them (eg gas tank caps) while other have a sustained connection where a reasonable force is required for a number of turns to fully undo them. This is my understanding of the reason why I trust my current setup.
I noticed a wet spot when I remove my props anybody else notice that. I guess the motors heat and aluminum leave a wet film.
Don't need no slippage had mines a few weeks now always notice a wet spot under the adapters.

How much does each adapter and prop weigh vs. stock? There's got to be more inertial resistance there even if it mostly has a short moment arm. The larger the mass, the more it will resist accel/decel. I'm sure it's all fine but I hesitate to touch it without some assurance that it has been tested through all scenarios.

LP should hard wire an ESC and motor to a RC receiver and demonstrate how they stay on even when switching instantly the the full range.

How much does each adapter and prop weigh vs. stock? There's got to be more inertial resistance there even if it mostly has a short moment arm. The larger the mass, the more it will resist accel/decel. I'm sure it's all fine but I hesitate to touch it without some assurance that it has been tested through all scenarios.

LP should hard wire an ESC and motor to a RC receiver and demonstrate how they stay on even when switching instantly the the full range.

Stock QR props and screws are 21g. The latest QR2 DJI adapters weigh more. LP adapters with 13" props, plates and screws are 24.3g, 28g with 14" props.

Ian, stick with stock I would say. If you have that level of anxiety you'll never be comfortable flying anything but stock honestly.

But for what it's worth, the Inspire was designed originally with auto tightening props, and hundreds of customers have been flying these for 8+ months.

Last edited:
self tightening props are not something that DJI invented neither is breaking, they have been used for a long time before the inspire. DJI mess up in their design and had a few issues, people thought that oh cool the motor will tighten the props up automatically and just got confident.

blaming the hardware for user error, pretty much the same as much of the "fly away" issues.

I think the adapter are way to go for now. Because the motor base is aluminum and the adapter is aluminum as it warms from the motor heat , the surfaces will expand . The prop should become really tight. Plus , I think the adapters will help pull heat from the motor . Making the motors run cooler.

I think the adapter are way to go for now. Because the motor base is aluminum and the adapter is aluminum as it warms from the motor heat , the surfaces will expand . The prop should become really tight. Plus , I think the adapters will help pull heat from the motor . Making the motors run cooler.

Correct although there's not a lot of warming going on on the post/motor bell.

These "love marks" on the motor bells are a testament to the grip these adapters have when hand tightened.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1460725436.129411.jpg

Don't get your panties in a bunch. This simple flight log is not the evidence that led to the pilot's conclusion that he list a prop.

It was the fact that he, well, actually lost a prop.

Separate thread, I just posted the simple flight log here since it's typical, of a lost prop crash or ESC failure. They end the same way is my point - with a sad and predictable head-long tumble of the aircraft with the last words the aircraft uttered being

Thud.

My panties aren't in a bunch. The screenshot you posted before the log didn't load for me. LP's adapters are just as susceptible to this. I'd wager that the pilot didn't tighten them enough, and relied on the aircraft to do it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
THE FLYING LIZARD