Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

Test paint and Scratch ? Why this happens?

Discussion in 'Inspire 1 Discussion' started by Carlos Alberto, May 4, 2016.

1. Carlos Alberto

I was testing black paint in one part that i have stocked of Inspire 1. I applyed the spray directly in Inspire 1 plastic and after the paint dry, the piece scratched.... why this happens? Need do something before paint?

[​IMG]

2. Alastair

Yes, you should sand the plastic parts with 400 grit sandpaper and then spray a coat of primer, before tha colour. I think the problem you're having, is because the plastic has a glossy finish and the paint has nothing stick to and will chip off easily.

SanCap likes this.
  3. DodgeP

I didn't have any problems painting the extra pieces, in fact; I if I didn't know any better I would think I had purchased a blackout I1. I will post pics later. In a few.

4. seanmclean

What Alastair said. That's just an effect of poor surface preparation. Also looks like you laid down one thick layer instead of several lighter ones.

5. DodgeP

@Carlos Alberto; @Alastair gave good advice about first sanding the plastic however, I didn't do any sanding. I purchased all extra plastic pieces and then took my time spraying them. I used a very light tack coat of the black matte then another 3 coats of matte and then a clear coat. The results are amazing (in my opinion). I haven't had a chance to finish painting all the battery plates yet.

IMG_5316.JPG

IMG_5317.JPG

IMG_5319.JPG

IMG_5318.JPG

IMG_5312.JPG

IMG_5320.JPG

IMG_5321.JPG

Alastair likes this.