Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Tested batteries for fast dropping down in voltage

Where is the 5% discharge warning located? I have not seen that one. Yeah I don't take off short of 100 for now and I tend to only fly in wide fields. Kinda boring but I just don't trust my i1 and more specifically dji any further than I can throw them.

I think it's the pre flight checklist
A red triangle warning you to discharge your battery below 5%

Oh gotcha. Yeah I am religious about the battery maintenance cycles so I have not encountered it. I try to follow the rules, it just seems dji never gives us a complete rule book. :)

No doubt, I think the owners manual should have links to the discussions on this board. The threads about compass calibration mod values and atti flying in particular!

I would charge fully now. Makes most sense to make it learn the "empty" and "full" points together.

As an extension I only do the full discharge when I know I'm going to charge and use the battery straight away. The whole point of it is to calibrate the meter that can have drifted when sitting unused, makes no sense calibrating then precisely let it sit again.
Charged it to 100% then took her out for a spin and landed at 20% and charged to 50% and put her away.
Thanks man.

Because I wasn't able to fly for 2 weeks I have tested all 7 batteries because they were discharged to 50%.
6 TB 48 and 1 TB 47 were tested.
Tested all batteries 5mtr(20ft) away from me and about 3mtr(10ft) altitude.And I was surprised that ALL batteries came at a point to go down from about 40% to less then 10% in a few seconds!
So this makes me clear that you always charge batteries to 100%!
It has said here before on more threads,and I go out with all batteries at 100%,but I was surprised with the result.

I did extensive testing on this when a firmware update came out near the end of may and this issue was first reported. This is not a problem with the batteries, it is how the total capacity is checked and how LiPos degrade over time.

I flew 6 batters after the firmware upgrade (three batteries had been previously flown, 3 batteries never flown, but charged to 100%)

The three batteries flown all exhibit similar behavior, towards the end of the power curve (about 20 to 30%) they had a rapid "discharge indication" that is they went from 20% to 7%

The batteries that had never been flown, did not exhibit this extreme behavior.

I than insured all the batteries were taken down to 5% and charged back to 100%. After this deep cycle all 6 batteries performed as designed for over 10 flights for each battery.

You MUST deep cycle your batteries after a firmware upgrade (to be safe) and after extensive number of flights (20 charge cycles) or if the batteries have not been flown for a significant amount of time (several weeks)

I did extensive testing on this when a firmware update came out near the end of may and this issue was first reported. This is not a problem with the batteries, it is how the total capacity is checked and how LiPos degrade over time.

I flew 6 batters after the firmware upgrade (three batteries had been previously flown, 3 batteries never flown, but charged to 100%)

The three batteries flown all exhibit similar behavior, towards the end of the power curve (about 20 to 30%) they had a rapid "discharge indication" that is they went from 20% to 7%

The batteries that had never been flown, did not exhibit this extreme behavior.

I than insured all the batteries were taken down to 5% and charged back to 100%. After this deep cycle all 6 batteries performed as designed for over 10 flights for each battery.

You MUST deep cycle your batteries after a firmware upgrade (to be safe) and after extensive number of flights (20 charge cycles) or if the batteries have not been flown for a significant amount of time (several weeks)
My batteries have been sitting 9 weeks because I had to send my I1 back. do you suggest that I follow this procedure? How are you able to tell the percentage? are you putting the battery in the I1 and turning it on and getting the reading from the DJI APP? or do you have a plug made up to check the battery with a meter? To discharge the batteries do you put it in the I1 and let it run with no props till it reaches 5%?
thanks in advance.

My batteries have been sitting 9 weeks because I had to send my I1 back. do you suggest that I follow this procedure? How are you able to tell the percentage? are you putting the battery in the I1 and turning it on and getting the reading from the DJI APP? or do you have a plug made up to check the battery with a meter? To discharge the batteries do you put it in the I1 and let it run with no props till it reaches 5%?
thanks in advance.
If you briefly press the power button, the number of lit LEDs gives the current charge. See the User Manual page 20. You can also check the battery's life by pressing the button for 5 seconds.

To discharge the battery for deep cycling, you can run it in your I1 but it will cut out before 5% is reached. You can then switch the battery on and use the supplied lead to charge your remote control. You want all LEDs off or at most one flashing to get the required discharge level.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexzazz