Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

The Evolution of "Commercial" Status

Requiring what? There's no operator certification required for hobby flying, but if you want to fly commercially you must have an FAA pilot certificate, at least sport license. That is spelled out in the 333 document one an exemption is granted.

Stand corrected.... duh maybe i should resd the fine print... thanks for making me smarter...

One way to avoid being hassled by anybody or even aviation authorities or police when flying is to wear a hard hat, yellow or orange safety vest and steel tipped boots and they will think you are permitted to fly at the spot you're flying.

Reactions: Dr. Ifly Drones
I fly commercially (333) and I do wear a hard hat and a vest which reads "UAS Pilot-Do Not Distract While Flying" It does keep passersby away and safer. As a retired cop, I assure you if a police officer needs to make contact no vest or hat will stop him/her.

I also carry a red folder in my case with copies of FAA pilot license, driver's license, 333, business license, aviation insurance and property owner's written authorization (just to hand over to cops and give them something to read while I finish my flight. Cops always ask for ID so they can run you for wants & warrants...

I fly commercially (333) and I do wear a hard hat and a vest which reads "UAS Pilot-Do Not Distract While Flying" It does keep passersby away and safer. As a retired cop, I assure you if a police officer needs to make contact no vest or hat will stop him/her.

Police won't normally be the ones stopping you.

I also carry a red folder in my case with copies of FAA pilot license, driver's license, 333, business license, aviation insurance and property owner's written authorization...

papers1.jpeg

FAA Officials Crack Down on UAV Pilots

One way to avoid being hassled by anybody or even aviation authorities or police when flying is to wear a hard hat, yellow or orange safety vest and steel tipped boots and they will think you are permitted to fly at the spot you're flying.
I agree with White, if you want to fly unmolested wear a "uniform" of some sort. I like kakis, shirt with my company info, use orange cones at the LZ to mark off, etc. A professional look goes a very long way towards warding off issues. And my favorite tip, wear over ear headphones. When people can see them on your head they don't try to chat or ask questions.

Lot of informative FAA references here. For the Brits, anyone got the angles/inside track from the CAA?

Ed- any thoughts?
RB

Lot of informative FAA references here. For the Brits, anyone got the angles/inside track from the CAA?

Ed- any thoughts?
RB
Things are moving within EASA but very very slowly (well its European legislation so what do you expect?).
The CAA has already hinted that existing 166/7 restrictions will be relaxed for PFAW holders in sub 7kg category. This may move to sub 5kg MTOM limitaion when they decide exactly how it will work.
This means that for holders of PFAW they will also be able to work in urban environments without so many restrictions.
However, until these changes come about everyone is bound by CAP 722 and the distance stand offs within 166/7.
I'm afraid it's a case of watch this space..........

Reactions: Red Baron

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide