Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

The Truth About The Part 107 Written Test...

Reaction score
Website
remotepilot101.com
Let me start by saying the test is legit. A lot of our customers thought we were crazy and perhaps “over-preparing” them with knowledge they wouldn’t need but nothing could be further from the truth.

We’ve been helping pilots of manned aircraft prepare for FAA written tests for 10 years so we know how the FAA can be when it comes to testing.

If you think just reading the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (PHAK) will do it (a 600 page tome mind you) or the FAA study guide they send when you sign up for the test - - which is good, but only scratches the surface - - you’ll be setting yourself up for failure.

The test is SO HEAVY in VFR Sectional Charts, Airspace, METARS, TAFs, and scenario based questioning.

They even go as far to ask about sUAS stall characteristics with an aft CG and performance based on load factor.

For example could you read this TAF?

KOKC 051130Z 0512/0618 14008KT 5SM BR BKN030
TEMPO 0513/0516 1 1/2SM BR
FM051600 18010KT P6SM SKC
BECMG 0522/0524 20013G20KT 4SM SHRA OVC020
PROB40 0600/0606 2SM TSRA OVC008CB
BECMG 0606/0608 21015KT P6SM SCT040=

Thats one of the actual TAF’s used on the test. A question might read “What is the weather expected to be at OKC for a flight at 10:00 local?” (Expecting you to know how to convert that into Zulu Time.)

It’s not the kind of test most of us could just show up to and get a passing score.

I’m not here to just push our course on anyone, I’m here to deliver value and make us all safer more capable pilots. This is real world info you’ll be using to submit for certificate’s of wavier and make smart flying decisions. Our course is your course for life so come 2 years from now when you need to test again it’s yours.

A lot of the folks in this forum have used Remote Pilot 101 to pass the written test and I’m sure if you have more questions they would be happy to share.

I encourage you all whether you choose our course or not to study it hard and get a real understanding of the material not just a rote memorization.

Jason Schappert
RemotePilot101.com

No disclaimer needed from me for my endorsement here... I'm a straight-up customer who found out about the course on the forums here. FWIW, I purchased the course a few days ago, and I'm about half-way through. It's very good, and Jason is a solid instructor. I'm most helped by the lessons surrounding weather and sectional charts. Thanks for keeping it succinct and on point. The course is definitely a good value.

Thank you my friend! I truly appreciate it! See you in 2 years! Remember it's your for life.

Jason
I just completed the RemotePilot101 course and was extremely impressed. I have no aeronautical experience and after reading many of the free resources posted here was somewhat confused. Jason's course put it all together for me. I have now passed the final with an A 3 seperate times. Hopefully I can repeat these results on my Knowledge Test tomorrow. Thanks Jason.

Reactions: RemotePilot101
I just completed the RemotePilot101 course and was extremely impressed. I have no aeronautical experience and after reading many of the free resources posted here was somewhat confused. Jason's course put it all together for me. I have now passed the final with an A 3 seperate times. Hopefully I can repeat these results on my Knowledge Test tomorrow. Thanks Jason.

Keep me posted on your success my friend! I can't wait to hear how you do!

We're here if you need anything before the test.

Jason

OH yea and FYI you charge 99 bucks the ASA charges 39 and they been around for many years helping GA and Commercial pilots pass tests.
The beauty of a free market is if a "private ground school" is what works for you then you are free to take it. Not only do people learn differently, but they also have different levels of understanding of the subject. My experience is in public safety. I knew nothing about any of this until recently and feel that Jason's course helped me tremendously. Value as you mentioned is a matter of perspective and yours obviously differs from mine, which is formed around the extra lessons from Jason beyond just passing the test. Maybe if you had taken Jason's course you wouldn't have missed that one question...

I bought the Aerodrome class, which wasn't bad, and I also took the FAA sample test a few times. What helped me a lot was pouring thru all the pilot training videos on Youtube. Some of them are a little bit vintage, but most of them are brief and very much by-the-book for part 61 pilots.

Keep me posted on your success my friend! I can't wait to hear how you do!

We're here if you need anything before the test.

Jason
Back to the relevant topic, I passed my test this morning. The administrator said I had the best score so far. Thanks a bunch Jason for your course. I am glad to know that in two years when I have to retake the test I will already be setup on your site with the necessary resources to pass.

You know what they say about people who make assumptions... I am actually a certified firefighter and decided to go through the proper learning channels to be able to fly safely and intelligently at emergency scenes to increase our abilities with the minimal resources we often have. Additionally, I want to be more knowledgeable as my wife and I travel often and would love to take my drone. Feel free to PM me if you would like to continue your string of negativity. No need to hijack Jason's thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread has been cleaned up - please keep on topic.

@n9ami - your comments have been deleted. They are unnecessary and deliberately posted to entice reaction.
Please desist from such posting in future.

Reactions: Dave Armbrust
Back to the relevant topic, I passed my test this morning. The administrator said I had the best score so far. Thanks a bunch Jason for your course. I am glad to know that in two years when I have to retake the test I will already be setup on your site with the necessary resources to pass.

You are so awesome my friend this is huge! Congrats on the great score and we'll see you again in 2 years when it's time to test again! Keep me posted on your success and don't hesitate to reach out with any questions.

Jason

I'm another big fan of Jason's remotepilot101.com program. I've had a lot to learn before my test scheduled for this Thursday, and your teaching style and experience has made all the difference. After trying to navigate through all the FAA docs and study guides, I'm glad I found your streamlined approach. Can't thank you enough...

Reactions: RemotePilot101
Passed...! Really glad I took your course, Jason. Harder than I expected, I used the entire 2 hours. Lots of questions I've never seen before, glad I was forewarned about the complicated airspace questions because there were A lot of them. Pretty much everything you said was definitely going to be on the test was. It wasn't flying colors, but a 78 gets me my license. After the test I got to see the questions I got wrong, but not the answers so I know what I have to work on. Good luck to all that have yet to take it...and thanks to Jason and all the info forum members have given.

Reactions: johnmont250
Passed...! Really glad I took your course, Jason. Harder than I expected, I used the entire 2 hours. Lots of questions I've never seen before, glad I was forewarned about the complicated airspace questions because there were A lot of them. Pretty much everything you said was definitely going to be on the test was. It wasn't flying colors, but a 78 gets me my license. After the test I got to see the questions I got wrong, but not the answers so I know what I have to work on. Good luck to all that have yet to take it...and thanks to Jason and all the info forum members have given.
Don't sweat scores. The certificate (license) of an applicant that scored a 100 looks exactly the same as one who scored 70. Same privileges...

Reactions: kennedye
Passed the test today, took 1 hour for me to complete. The test was more difficult than I expected and if I wouldn't have purchased the remotepilot101 course, there is absolutely no way I would have "guessed" my way through the test. A big thank you to Jason, he takes some difficult to understand information and explains it very well. My questions consisted of many VFR and airspace questions, only one question on stable/unstable air, none on fog, many on the responsibility of the remote PIC, one on METAR, and a bunch on frequencies for communication. I went into the test very confident, but about 3/4 of the way through I was slightly nervous. The questions were worded oddly, almost tricky and I ended up reading many of them multiple times to ensure I was understanding them correctly. One of the reasons I choose the remotepilot101 course was I didn't want to fumble around studying information that wasn't going to be tested. Thanks Jason

Last edited:
Sounds like I need these. With a focused effort, how long does it take to get through the coursework? Thx

Sounds like I need these. With a focused effort, how long does it take to get through the coursework? Thx

I watched most of the videos twice, and took all the practice tests on the program, some multiple times. I probably had 10 hours into it over a week's period.

Awesome! Thanks. So, you learn this, take a test at local center, get TSA checked and you're good to go? What's the timeline for the entire process? I have 333 filed, but I guess they killed all of that now? (there goes $$$ down the drain!)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa