Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Thumbsticks down and in while in flight... drop like a rock?

Haha ya I think we pretty much understand each other. I haven't had a reason and hopefully never will but I definitely like the option to shut er down quick. I guess I just don't feel as susceptible since I know it is there and don't do that. Kinda like when you are adjusting your choke in the plane. You could pull it all the way out and shut down the engine but we all know not to. Two different but logical opinions on the matter. I see your point but I'll keep my own ;)
Its nothing like pulling the choke, or carb heat, they are separate and different from your primary aircraft controls, there is no way you could pull your choke by accident while your flying .... it has to be a separate and deliberate act ... your could pull it too far but you cant pull it by accident!

I think the difference is that we don't see the CSC command as something someone could possibly enable by accident unless they were flying recklessly to begin with. This is a camera drone. It's not an attack helicopter or a stunt helicopter. There's no reason why anyone should be flying with max stick input in the CSC position for the minimum of 3 seconds required to trigger the command. There are plenty of model aircraft available for people to fly with sustained max stick inputs. Perhaps the camera drones manufactured by DJI aren't the best option to get your jollies out.
I NEVER fly the inspire 1 for fun., it is totally a camera platform and only ever flown when someone is paying me to take the risk! If you read my posts there are circumstances where it could be done. As I have stated before I have NOT experienced it but my sticks have been at a point where I was concerned that a small error could kill it.
There are documented instances where the motors have shut down through a CSC being initiated by accident resulting in what we should all agree is a dangerous situation. I may stand corrected but I am yet to be aware of an instance where a pilot was in a situation where he or she felt it necesary to and executed a CSC as the Inspire was going out of control and felt it saved anyone or anything from danger or damage. I look forward to such documented cases being brought to our attention here ..... I, for onr, wont be holding my breath.

in the meantime I hope and pray that non one inadvertently initiates a CSC mid flight and injures someone while we all bury our heads in the sand.

I NEVER fly the inspire 1 for fun., it is totally a camera platform and only ever flown when someone is paying me to take the risk! If you read my posts there are circumstances where it could be done. As I have stated before I have NOT experienced it but my sticks have been at a point where I was concerned that a small error could kill it.
There are documented instances where the motors have shut down through a CSC being initiated by accident resulting in what we should all agree is a dangerous situation. I may stand corrected but I am yet to be aware of an instance where a pilot was in a situation where he or she felt it necesary to and executed a CSC as the Inspire was going out of control and felt it saved anyone or anything from danger or damage. I look forward to such documented cases being brought to our attention here ..... I, for onr, wont be holding my breath.

in the meantime I hope and pray that non one inadvertently initiates a CSC mid flight and injures someone while we all bury our heads in the sand.

I think you may be misunderstanding the CSC shutdown by the way you've explained how it may be possible to "accidentally" initiate during "film making".

The shutdown only works when there is 100% (read full input) stick movement in the directions outlined on BOTH sticks.

No matter how much you wish it to be possible, there will never ever ever EVER be a time when you are filming that 100% stick input in those directions on both sticks would happen. Like I and others have mentioned, that video would be totally unusable. If you can show me video shot during even 50% input of CSC initiation and it is even remotely usable, I will eat both my shoes and ship you out both of my Inspires free of charge straight to your door in Kingston.

Secondly, you gave an example of when you get "close" to initiating CSC during "normal" filming. The example is:

"When we film events we sometimes hover over the subject, camera down fully ,and ascend rapidly while yawing fully right. This has the effect of spinning the event and is a very effective camera move. Once at altitude we will often reverse this and descend with full right yaw. The thought that during this manoeuvre ( remember the I1 is a camera platform), if the aircraft was drifting forward and right slightly and the operator were to correct that drift ,the aircraft could/would shut down and cease being an aircraft is a terrifying thought."

When you described this maneuver and said if the aircraft drifts and the operator has to correct, I could tell that you either don't fly the aircraft yourself to have no knowledge of what you're talking about or that you are making things up as you go just to prove your point.

Let me explain why I think this: If you are descending at full throttle and yawing at full throttle, sure you have half of what you need to initiate CSC. However, the problem comes when you explain how the operator might have to correct for drift. Imagine that scenario, the aircraft is spinning and descending at full speed and begins to drift, if you don't stop at least the 100% yaw movement, how do you plan on correcting for drift? Any correction you make on the right stick will be pointless since the aircraft is rotating so quickly. The correction you make for forward drift immediately becomes sideways drift, which immediately becomes reverse drift and so on so forth due to the 100% yaw (rotation) of the aircraft. The only way you can even dream of adjusting for drift in this scenario is to ease off the yaw or get rid of it completely.

I understand that you are trying to prove a point, and you have it in your mind that CSC is "dangerous" and "unsafe". But honestly man, there just isn't any scenario that you can fabricate that would result in you accidentally initiating that command. If you do, I'm sorry to say, you were being an idiot or fooling around without knowing what you were doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joola
Guys, can I just say......this subject has been debated add nauseum over several threads.

It has also been discussed over on the R&D forum at DJI

Pros, Cons, will it, won't it, should it, could it, might it what if etc, etc.
The fact is DJI WILL NOT BE CHANGING IT.
CSC has been part of motor initiation and shut down since the very first DJI platforms arrived and has always been there for emergency reasons.
It will not be changing and this is direct from DJI's development team.

Sorry to those that think the philosophy is flawed but it is here to stay.

Reactions: Scotflieger
I think you may be misunderstanding the CSC shutdown by the way you've explained how it may be possible to "accidentally" initiate during "film making".

The shutdown only works when there is 100% (read full input) stick movement in the directions outlined on BOTH sticks.

No matter how much you wish it to be possible, there will never ever ever EVER be a time when you are filming that 100% stick input in those directions on both sticks would happen. Like I and others have mentioned, that video would be totally unusable. If you can show me video shot during even 50% input of CSC initiation and it is even remotely usable, I will eat both my shoes and ship you out both of my Inspires free of charge straight to your door in Kingston.

Secondly, you gave an example of when you get "close" to initiating CSC during "normal" filming. The example is:

"When we film events we sometimes hover over the subject, camera down fully ,and ascend rapidly while yawing fully right. This has the effect of spinning the event and is a very effective camera move. Once at altitude we will often reverse this and descend with full right yaw. The thought that during this manoeuvre ( remember the I1 is a camera platform), if the aircraft was drifting forward and right slightly and the operator were to correct that drift ,the aircraft could/would shut down and cease being an aircraft is a terrifying thought."

When you described this maneuver and said if the aircraft drifts and the operator has to correct, I could tell that you either don't fly the aircraft yourself to have knowledge of what you're talking about or that you are making things up as you go just to prove your point.

Let me explain why I think this: If you are descending at full throttle and yawing at full throttle, sure you have half of what you need to initiate CSC. However, the problem comes when you explain how the operator might have to correct for drift. Imagine that scenario, the aircraft is spinning and descending at full speed and begins to drift, if you don't stop at least the 100% yaw movement, how do you plan on correcting for drift? Any correction you make on the right stick will be pointless since the aircraft is rotating so quickly. The correction you make for forward drift immediately becomes sideways drift, which immediately becomes reverse drift and so on so forth due to the 100% yaw (rotation) of the aircraft. The only way you can even dream of adjusting for drift in this scenario is to ease off the yaw or get rid of it completely.

I understand that you are trying to prove a point, and you have it in your mind that CSC is "dangerous" and "unsafe". But honestly man, there just isn't any scenario that you can fabricate that would result in you accidentally initiating that command. If you do, I'm sorry to say, you were being an idiot or fooling around without knowing what you were doing.

Let me start by saying this.......... I'm discussing what I believe to be a serious point ..... I'm not a p***k that takes cheap, inaccurate , unnecessary shots at someone ability to fly, nor do I appreciate your insinuation that I'm not flying the aircraft myself, ergo ... that I am a liar. oops did I just call you a p**k .. maybe I am a P**k that takes cheap shots after all!
For the record I have been in TV and Film for many years having owned and run television station in both Europe and the Caribbean, secondly I have been personally flying drones for 5 years, my first being a $20,000 Aibotix A6.
Also once again IT HAS NOT HAPPENED TO ME ....
Now back to the point .....
Can someone please point me in the direction of documented cases where someone has had an out of control Inspire and both felt the need to and been able to execute a CSC to kill the motors before an impact. While we are on it can someone tell me how shutting the motors down from such an out of control incident actually reduced the damage inflicted.
As indicated many times there ARE documented incidents of motor cut outs through inadvertent CSC.

Now back to the scenario where I can imagine, comprehend, foresee, anticipate ..... whatever word your would like to use an incident. and for the record this moment of imagination, comprehension, foresight and or anticipation has happened to me on numerous occasions, where I have found myself executing a move and had to consciously remember not to pull full input back and left on the right stick.

Your correct in your assertion that while the inspire is in full descent and full yaw ( not an extreme move to me) if the inspire has drifted out to the right of its ideal descent the pilot will not be able to affect directional control ........... HOWEVER ... and it a big however (hence the caps!) the human brain reacts to instinct. When we are seeing a small drone 500 ft up we recognise the drift more than we recognise the yaw. Therefore it is quite possible or even plausible for a pilot to start inputting a little right and back stick to correct a drift. what happens when your braking and it isn't stopping ... you break harder correct ..... same here if you input a little and see no change then your next instinct is to input more ending up in a right stick that is held resulting in ..... youve guessed it CSC, brick, terminal velocity oh s**t ....
Dear DJI customer service,
I was flying my DJI Inspire one when the rotors stopped.
Dear NTSB
I was flying my .......
Dear Coroner
Dear Judge
Dear Prison warder .......

Dear God .... I just want the control to carry out this action moved to a SAFER location.

Guys, can I just say......this subject has been debated add nauseum over several threads.

It has also been discussed over on the R&D forum at DJI

Pros, Cons, will it, won't it, should it, could it, might it what if etc, etc.
The fact is DJI WILL NOT BE CHANGING IT.
CSC has been part of motor initiation and shut down since the very first DJI platforms arrived and has always been there for emergency reasons.
It will not be changing and this is direct from DJI's development team.

Sorry to those that think the philosophy is flawed but it is here to stay.
I hear you, I will say this though ... all it takes is one serious incident of this with a qualified pilot working commercially and the inspire will be grounded for commercial use faster than you can say OOOOPS.

I hope and pray it never happens

Let me start by saying this.......... I'm discussing what I believe to be a serious point ..... I'm not a p***k that takes cheap, inaccurate , unnecessary shots at someone ability to fly, nor do I appreciate your insinuation that I'm not flying the aircraft myself, ergo ... that I am a liar. oops did I just call you a p**k .. maybe I am a P**k that takes cheap shots after all!
For the record I have been in TV and Film for many years having owned and run television station in both Europe and the Caribbean, secondly I have been personally flying drones for 5 years, my first being a $20,000 Aibotix A6.
Also once again IT HAS NOT HAPPENED TO ME ....
Now back to the point .....
Can someone please point me in the direction of documented cases where someone has had an out of control Inspire and both felt the need to and been able to execute a CSC to kill the motors before an impact. While we are on it can someone tell me how shutting the motors down from such an out of control incident actually reduced the damage inflicted.
As indicated many times there ARE documented incidents of motor cut outs through inadvertent CSC.

Now back to the scenario where I can imagine, comprehend, foresee, anticipate ..... whatever word your would like to use an incident. and for the record this moment of imagination, comprehension, foresight and or anticipation has happened to me on numerous occasions, where I have found myself executing a move and had to consciously remember not to pull full input back and left on the right stick.

Your correct in your assertion that while the inspire is in full descent and full yaw ( not an extreme move to me) if the inspire has drifted out to the right of its ideal descent the pilot will not be able to affect directional control ........... HOWEVER ... and it a big however (hence the caps!) the human brain reacts to instinct. When we are seeing a small drone 500 ft up we recognise the drift more than we recognise the yaw. Therefore it is quite possible or even plausible for a pilot to start inputting a little right and back stick to correct a drift. what happens when your braking and it isn't stopping ... you break harder correct ..... same here if you input a little and see no change then your next instinct is to input more ending up in a right stick that is held resulting in ..... youve guessed it CSC, brick, terminal velocity oh s**t ....
Dear DJI customer service,
I was flying my DJI Inspire one when the rotors stopped.
Dear NTSB
I was flying my .......
Dear Coroner
Dear Judge
Dear Prison warder .......

Dear God .... I just want the control to carry out this action moved to a SAFER location.
Perhaps you could make a 3d printed stick limiter to make sure you can't accidentally initiate a unwanted CSC..

I agree with @World Media that " NO aircraft should have the ability to shut down mid flight without a deliberate set of actions from the pilot that may not be inadvertently replicated during the normal operation of the flight controls. "

There should be a separate kill switch installed that doesn't involve any flight controls. A switch that you have to flip a cover open first, then press rapidly three times would be nice.

Reactions: World Media
To all the doubters -
Take your inspire outside, while it's flying hold it with your hand and hold the throttle stick full down, come back here and say the props didn't shut down on you with the gear up. Some inspires they may not turn off, some they will, it's not everyone but it can happen. To refute the idea that it's impossible and to say it "can't" happen its pretty ignorant.

Of course the motors will shut down if you HOLD IT IN YOUR HAND! That's how I hand catch every time. In your previous post, you were claiming the motors will shut down "mid flight." That is not true. The flight controller is coded to prevent disabling the motors mid-flight when the throttle is put to -100. There are two criteria that must be met for the motors to shut down from a throttle down hold:
  • Throttle at -100 for 3 seconds
  • No altimeter fluctuations for 3 seconds
Only if both conditions are met will the motors shut down.

@Joola ,

Shazbot4 isn't even in the same universe as this conversation, let alone the same page. No point in talking to him

Reactions: Scotflieger
Good grief - is this thread still going?
I've lost the will to read it anymore.

Also, @Shazbot4 you appear to have no idea what CSC is so please read up so you can differentiate between Combination Stick Command and -100% throttle throw.

And throttle 100% down is how I descend from 400 feet every time. It is the fastest and it surely does not turn off the quad.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla