Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Time to sell both my Inspires!

Reaction score
Website
vimeo.com
Well people…I know DJI wants to protect their image and billion dollar company but I think its time that I sell both my Inspires and look for a better UAV solution. The reason I say this is with DJI’s embedded No-Fly Zones I can't complete my work. We need a machine that allows me (a 11 year drone pilot) to fly within these No-Fly Zones at ground level. Today I tried to complete a ground level to 40 feet shoot (Sunday morning outside baseball stadium) but because of this blanket No-Fly zones I had to turn down the project.

The Inspire is not a toy but a professional tool! If DJI is going to limit us professionals from using this tools, we need to start looking at other options. So if anyone knows of a superior UAV I’m open to suggestions.

Well people…I know DJI wants to protect their image and billion dollar company but I think its time that I sell both my Inspires and look for a better UAV solution. The reason I say this is with DJI’s embedded No-Fly Zones I can't complete my work. We need a machine that allows me (a 11 year drone pilot) to fly within these No-Fly Zones at ground level. Today I tried to complete a ground level to 40 feet shoot (Sunday morning outside baseball stadium) but because of this blanket No-Fly zones I had to turn down the project.

The Inspire is not a toy but a professional tool! If DJI is going to limit us professionals from using this tools, we need to start looking at other options. So if anyone knows of a superior UAV I’m open to suggestions.
Look into the turbo ace matrix quadcopters..
wow hobbies.com. .

Reactions: emulsiondown
and I believe it's just a beginning, once DOT gets involved little more no fly zone will go to 5 miles around airports and all of the no fly zone areas including government buildings...
Where can you fly?
Thanks DJI, you have time to keep pumping firmware updates with new no fly zones and can't figure out how to change drone name if we want to.

GizaDog, try flashing your inspire all the way back to 1.2 firmware, reformat your memory cards for camera, they hold some of the info on no fly zones, take your iPad off line and go back on app, that should bring you back to good old days without no fly zones.

I see this as a call out to those who possess the ability to hack firmware. Just do a simple google search on "firmware hack" and become educated on how many things you already own that you can reprogram rather than buy a more expensive version. Have we become so deluted that we are allowing DJI to rent us these extremely expensive technological marvels. If they control how it's used and can change this at will we by definition are only paying for the prescribed use and indeed don't own them. Either we gain the ability to enable the functions WE deem useful and necessary or the industry itself must change and begin providing all related services associated with a lease.

My question is with how open DJI has been with the necessary intrusions into firmware to allow outside app development how have we not already seen hackware development coming to fruition.

Member when Naza Lite was hacked to run 4.02fw from naza v2. Turned every $160 fc into a $300 one.

I can't imagine it would be terribly difficult for someone who knows what they are looking for to run into the n1 system and delete the nfz fly zones.

Reactions: turbodronepilot

GizaDog

I totally agree with you and have mentioned on the DJI Developer site but will no doubt fall on deaf ears. I have had many replies including feedback that numerous NFZs are actually in the wrong location which may in tun cause friction with the FAA.

Whilst I understand DJI's rationale to protect their business from Hobbyists flying in protected areas, surely it's also illegal for them to restrict commercial pilots from flying where they are permits to fly. It would not take them much to lift the NFZ's to pilots who show they have the right to fly as w all have to sign into the app to use it.

Like GizaDog if I am restricted for much longer I will have to move platform to allow me to recover my costs that allowed me to become a commercial pilot in the first place. It's the national air authority who enforces airspace not DJI.

I'm sure that if along with phantom pilots forum if every commercial pilot emailed DJI then they may be persuaded to reconsider their position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AMAN to all of that above.
I have few small airports near me that are not used at all, other than once a week and if they hold 5 mile radius no fly zone, I'll be screwed all the way, I'll have to take time off work to drive somewhere everytime I need to fly even for fun and practice.

Anyway, I see firmware hacks coming up in near future, I already did my 32 channel hack and that was easy, I can almost see someone doing no flyzone unlock in near future.
GizaDog, stick around, try what I told you earlier, we will overcome that :)

I certainly feel for you. That's one of the reasons I've pulled back from the world of aerial services and shifted towards content curating and stock imagery. Luckily I'm out of the USA, but can only assume restrictions will become more and more everywhere around the world.

Question: do the no-fly zones also apply for people who have the s-1000? My guess is that DJI may be seeing the Inspire as a glorified toy as opposed to a tool focused on professionals. However, given the push for the X5R, it's hardly a toy anymore.

Reactions: Gary E

I'm afraid DJI does regard the Inspire1 as a toy.
This is a reaction from DJI/Tahoe_Ed on the DJI forum:
(had I seen this before I would have thought twice about getting the I1)

The A2 can disable the no fly zones and the WKM never had them. These controllers were meant to be our Professional versions. What we are now seeing is that the consumer products are trying to be used by "professional" users. You are creating a difficult position for us as a company.

However I recall that DJI positioned the Inspire1 as a compact and all in one solution for both professionals and demanding consumers. Or maybe that's just how I wanted to perceive things at that time, I don't know. I do know that in a lot of teaser clips DJI showed professional film crews using the Inspire with dual controller, which was the main reason for me to cancel my order for a s1000 and go for the I1 package. After the launch of the Phantom3 everything changed and suddenly the I1 became the luxury version in the Phantom line, using the same flight controller and software.

........You are creating a difficult position for us as a company. ......
So it's all OUR fault! Not DJI's. Your see?

They obviously can't help it that they needed to convince the general public that a Phantom3 is just a flying toy camera that is so simple and easy to operate that even my dog could fly it.

Last edited:
Interesting as I thought the inspire flight controller was based upon the A2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I thought so too, and you're correct I still think. But it is only based on the A2, it's not the A2 from the S1000.

I absolutely hate and regret advocating this sort of thing, especially as I genuinely like Ed and respect his job (as well as DJI itself), but that statement combined with the observations of how DJI marketed the Inspire to professional use, unquestionably screams 'False Advertising' lawsuit.

If the Inspire was marketed as a professional-level device, and the professional-level flight controllers are able to have NFZ turned off, then the Inspire must be given that capability, or else DJI has duped everyone who purchased this specifically for professional-level work.

@lake_flyer - Do you have a link to that thread on the DJI forum?

Last edited:
Reactions: GizaDog
We all drive cars, right? WE have speed limits on freeways and ONE WAY do not enter in one way zones, correct?
DO we see car manufacturers limiting our maximum speed limit? They can, but they dont, because government's job is to put law in place and our job is to follow, police is to enforce that.
SO why is DJI forcing us where to fly and where not to?
FAA and DOT can simply say what do do and hat not to, I am ok to register my drone with FAA and that's is reasonable, but PLEASE, dont take away my right to chose where to fly.
DJI will realize this sooner or later and after all of this chatter will start loosing business on sales of inspire 1 and pro. Someone will come up with hacked firmware for inspire and we all win.
If people hack iphone firmware and code, what is inspire? I am sure china is all over it already, just give it time.

Reactions: GizaDog
You know all this talk about hacked firmware, ignoring the NFZ, and disrespecting DJI and the FAA may only cause more hardship down the road for some or all of us. I understand the frustration. I have 3 airports (Class B), a few sensitive areas, Niagara Falls, The Canadian border, Historic sites, State Parks all around me. What I am trying to do is keep quiet, respect the areas that are sensitive, get permissions, respect the laws that are put in place, because some people are making stupid decisions on where they should be flying Multirotors, and WAIT to see where the chips fall when it all CALMS down which it will. Creating this fight with all the parties involved may create or is creating more drama and paranoia.. Relax and lets see if we can all play nice in airspace we don't own....:) Kevin

You know all this talk about hacked firmware, ignoring the NFZ, and disrespecting DJI and the FAA may only cause more hardship down the road for some or all of us. I understand the frustration. I have 3 airports (Class B), a few sensitive areas, Niagara Falls, The Canadian border, Historic sites, State Parks all around me. What I am trying to do is keep quiet, respect the areas that are sensitive, get permissions, respect the laws that are put in place, because some people are making stupid decisions on flying Multirotors, and WAIT to see where the chips fall when it all CALMS down which it will. Creating this fight with all the parties involved may create or is creating more drama and paranoia.. Relax and lets see if we can all play nice in airspace we don't own....:) Kevin

Kevin, keeping quite is just what the governments want. The point on this post is to state that DJI's restrictions need to be revised based on locations, events and opening up the low flight abilities on the crafts. All I needed to do is shoot a low to 40 foot high project well below anything and not near anything dangerous! These low based flights need to be opened up now or DJI is going to start loosing customers for other products. Its that simple.

Reactions: Gary E and JoeyJoe
you are correct about respecting the law, but dont you think that if we dont speak up thing will go bad for us? FAA and DOT with DJI will make what is in their interest and we all screwed all around.
If it was for them to decide there will be absolutely no fly zone everywhere and they are happy that way.
But anyway, you are right

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sjoby08