Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Tin Hats, Silver Foil, GPS and NFZ

Reaction score
Well...I have just tried the silver foil tin hat approach and completely wrapped the white casing and I am still getting 8 satellites in view....

This is with four layers of tin foil and it still manages to see the GPS constellation (or rather receive the signals)...in fact more tin foil than your average roast turkey!

Any ideas welcome! Please upload any tin hat photos that actually work to block GPS...

Well...I have just tried the silver foil tin hat approach and completely wrapped the white casing and I am still getting 8 satellites in view....

This is with four layers of tin foil and it still manages to see the GPS constellation (or rather receive the signals)...in fact more tin foil than your average roast turkey!

Any ideas welcome! Please upload any tin hat photos that actually work to block GPS...
This is why it is NOT a good idea to rely on this method.
You can potentially take off with zero sat reception as intended and then once airborne the Inspire gets a fix and if you are already in a NFZ it will force auto land.
Unplugging the GPS antenna is also Norman option any more since they have fixed that particular bug.

Agreed but it doesnt really help me witha job I have to do on Tuesday morning in the NFZ area...

If I were to remove the white shrouding and wrap the antenna itself - do you think that would work? A tin foil hermetic seal? How hard is it to remove the white shrouding?

Agreed but it doesnt really help me witha job I have to do on Tuesday morning in the NFZ area...

If I were to remove the white shrouding and wrap the antenna itself - do you think that would work? A tin foil hermetic seal? How hard is it to remove the white shrouding?
It's fairly easy (there are videos on PooTube showing how) but again, there is no absolute guarantee this will stop all signal leakage.

I think the only way to block the GPS signals is to expose the GPS antenna and wrap it in Aluminium speed tape (used in the aircraft industry for airframe minor repairs) or a light weight copper mesh, or both. Of course getting the modded unit to fit back in situ might be an issue.

The Inspire will have to be powered on and position fixed outside of the NFZ before the modification. Heres an image I found of the exposed antenna.

IMG_4083.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hubnetix