Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Title 14 CFR Part 107 Waivers (Post your approved/rejected)

I filled out the request 2 days before I took my exam and found it a bit confusing. The request was rejected because I apparently asked for a waiver and authorization. I resubmitted for Authorization 48 days prior to the event (11/19) and it's still pending. I want to film the Classic Race Boat Regatta which is held on lake adjacent to a seaplane base and 4.4 miles from a class D airport. I would be just outside the class D airspace but firmly inside class E to surface airspace because of the seaplane base. We'll see if I get authorization in time for the event. I hate to miss this opportunity.

Now that Part 107 is live I thought it could be a good thing to gather some data on the waiver process and how long the approvals are taking. The form instructions (here) say that it can take up to 90 days for approval. However, I have heard on another forum that Airspace requests have been approved much faster (some say around 24 hours).

For those that don't know, the website to submit a request for waiver/airspace authorization is HERE.
https://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/
As you receive responses on your waiver I think we would all appreciate it if you provided some basic information on your request, how long it took to get a response and if it was approved or rejected. It doesn't have to be much information, just something simple like:

Requested on: September 1st
Requested waiver for: 107.29 Daylight operations
or Requested waiver for certain airspace (please list the Class Airspace that you requested)
Received response on:
Approved: Y/N

Interesting document, particularly Appendix A.

Attachments

• Air Traffic Organization Policy SUAS.pdf
    858.7 KB · Views: 58
I received two waivers today for Class D airspace. I submitted 26 of them on 11.27.16 so 1 month and 3 days for approval. I asked for 2 years and received 6 months, they gave me larger nm radius than I asked for on both waivers.

I received two waivers today for Class D airspace. I submitted 26 of them on 11.27.16 so 1 month and 3 days for approval. I asked for 2 years and received 6 months, they gave me larger nm radius than I asked for on both waivers.

Nice job! I'm jealous as I have 8 still awaiting approval. Of course the fly date has come and gone for two of them thanks to my local airport failing to do a UASFM like they were supposed to.

I've since taken the SanCap approach and asked for 1 May - 30 Sep 17 for five of the authorizations.

Nice job! I'm jealous as I have 8 still awaiting approval. Of course the fly date has come and gone for two of them thanks to my local airport failing to do a UASFM like they were supposed to.

I've since taken the SanCap approach and asked for 1 May - 30 Sep 17 for five of the authorizations.

Maybe I'm just dense, but wouldn't it facilitate the FAA's approval process if they published all currently established UASFM's so as to help operators plan their requests? The attached is just a sample
UASFM.JPG

Maybe I'm just dense, but wouldn't it facilitate the FAA's approval process if they published all currently established UASFM's so as to help operators plan their requests? The attached is just a sample
View attachment 11408

You are not dense and I did not have that map you posted when I applied for my waivers but used common sense as I was getting closer to the airport to lower my needed altitudes above ground level. That map should be posted for every location to be reviewed before applying for an airspace waiver. Thanks for showing that map.

View attachment 11408

Ingenious! I emailed [email protected] with the following request back on 11 Oct:

-------
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 11:11 PM
To: 9-AWA-UASFM (FAA)
Subject: UASFM for KCYS

Can you please send me the UASFM for KCYS please? It’s my primary aerial photography business operating area and I want to make sure that my airspace requests are in line with the facility operator’s thoughts on the matter.

Thank you,

Matt

Talon Six Aerial, LLC
www.talonsixaerial.com

-------and received the following response------

[email protected]
Cc:
[email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2016 5:29 AM
To:
[email protected]
Subject: RE: UASFM for KCYS

Unfortunately, the maps are not being released to the public at this time. There are several reasons:

1. The altitudes change all the time. So there is no guarantee people are using the most current one.

2. We don’t want people to think that as long as they are below a certain altitude, they are good to go, and can go safely fly anytime they want. There are some operations that require waivers. Those will be noted when the proponent fills out the form to fly.

3. Since it is controlled airspace, Air Traffic authorization is needed for every flight. The maps don’t wave that requirement. When the maps are used for their intended purpose, the authorization is being properly used.

They are working to automate the process even further. When everything can be automated, they will have the maps automated too. So out of date maps wont be a factor.

Reactions: SanCap
Ingenious! I emailed [email protected] with the following request back on 11 Oct:

-------
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 11:11 PM
To: 9-AWA-UASFM (FAA)
Subject: UASFM for KCYS

Can you please send me the UASFM for KCYS please? It’s my primary aerial photography business operating area and I want to make sure that my airspace requests are in line with the facility operator’s thoughts on the matter.

I particularly love the terms "the public" and "people" like we are idiots rather than FAA licensed remote pilots (some of us are licensed manned aircraft pilots). WTF was the point of getting a license if we are still looked at as dolts?

Thank you,

Matt

Talon Six Aerial, LLC
www.talonsixaerial.com

-------and received the following response------

[email protected]
Cc:
[email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2016 5:29 AM
To:
[email protected]
Subject: RE: UASFM for KCYS

Unfortunately, the maps are not being released to the public at this time. There are several reasons:

1. The altitudes change all the time. So there is no guarantee people are using the most current one.

2. We don’t want people to think that as long as they are below a certain altitude, they are good to go, and can go safely fly anytime they want. There are some operations that require waivers. Those will be noted when the proponent fills out the form to fly.

3. Since it is controlled airspace, Air Traffic authorization is needed for every flight. The maps don’t wave that requirement. When the maps are used for their intended purpose, the authorization is being properly used.

They are working to automate the process even further. When everything can be automated, they will have the maps automated too. So out of date maps wont be a factor.

More FAA "we know better" secret squirrel BS. Still stonewalling and nothing will change until Congress steps in and raps their knuckles. Every reason they offered is totally bogus, of course waivers are still required, how can the maps change that much unless there's a special event and the waiver application will be denied in such cases. Typical Washington double talk.

I particularly enjoyed the terms "the public " and "people." like we are dolts rather than FAA licensed remote pilots. WTF was the point of getting the license if we are still treated as "the public"?

If this was addresed to me, I would give them a proper reply, Matt. But don't want to jam you up.

Last edited:
I now have a total of 15 approved airspace waivers, 3 denials and another 6 pending. I am getting close to circling one of our local airports. The green circles are my waivers.

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 12.06.00 PM.png

What's the radius of each waiver? Did anyone at the FAA question the number of requests? I began to ask for waivers around potential target areas recently.

My radius's vary from .25NM to 2NM. I had one FAA representative call me and ask me if I would like a larger radius to remove one of my submitted waivers. They have been very cordial asking if I needed a higher altitude or telling me I needed a lower operating altitude and giving me suggestions for future applications. One representative said "I see what you are doing and will try to help" when he realized I was trying to make a circle around the airport. Besides the time frame it has taken I am pretty happy with the results. They are giving me 6 months per waiver.

Well I'm happy to see some people having some success with this. Out of the 5 I've submitted, I received one email back with a ridiculous rejection answer. Note - this was submitted in Class E-SFC airspace...

FAA-Auth-Response.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engko