Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA to #333 or not? This is a very sincere info request.

There are no FAA approved training courses at this time. Timeline for approved courses is June 2016, but I don't think they'll have them in place by then. They may grandfather in some curriculum from accredited schools (Kansas State University has a uas program). Schools and instructors will probably have to be FAA certified.

Realize that any training provides some degree of knowledge and profiency. And, getting commercial insurance for your UAS enterprise is very crucial, talk to your insurance agent about their requirements.

Can you explain or provide links to what a UVU Certification and a Certified UAV Pilot are. I have not run into these and would like to learn more about them. Are these FAA approved or soon to be? I did find a link for UAV Pilot Training Certificate - Unmanned Vehicle University but I am not sure if that is FAA approved. I agree all this training is great but without FAA approval I think it means little. I am asking this respectfully and would like to add as many credentials to my resume as possible. Thanks

The link you posted above is to the training I received. No UAV training program is "FAA approved" yet since they've not come to a conclusion on what the requirements will be. The suggestion at present is that it will largely compare to current ground school required for a private license plus some formalized training which would include flight hours. You do receive much of this information in the UVU program and there are several free online ground school sites that can provide supplementation. The remainder of the UVU course is specific to UAVs and their capabilities, limitations and appropriate knowledge of the flight systems and maintenance of equipment.

Reactions: SanCap
"UVU Certification and a Certified UAV Pilot"
Until the FAA issues the part 107 rules and establishes a process to earn a UAS certificate issued by the FAA these are meaningless terms introduced by a ton of "schools" trying to make a buck. There is no such thing as an FAA UAV/UAS PILOT CERTIFICATE, yet..

Spoke to an inspector at the local fsdo yesterday. There's no consensus about what the new rules will look like or when they will be coming down. He's of the opinion (somewhat informed), that there will not be any flight profiency requirements, only a written test. He's also not heard about what the criteria will be for training certifications. Just FYI.....
Don't see them getting it done by this summer. Time will tell.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44