Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

TOP 10 common pilot errors

Reaction score
122745fuw1lhiua59j55h1.jpg

We found out many RMA cases we have worked on in DJI was caused by pilot’s error
Analyzing the flight data or so called black-boxes we listed top 10 as below, and you may find detailed info for each point from the page DJI Forum|TOP 10 common pilot errors

1. CSC in the mid-air (Combination Stick Command)
2. Propeller shoots off
3. RTH Crash
4. Auto landing far from home
5. Flying out of sight
6. Watching FPV and flying backwards
7. Indoor flight
8. Failsafe and gain the altitude
9. Bad environment
10. Braking distance

Be aware and fly safe!

122745fuw1lhiua59j55h1.jpg

We found out many RMA cases we have worked on in DJI was caused by pilot’s error
Analyzing the flight data or so called black-boxes we listed top 10 as below, and you may find detailed info for each point from the page DJI Forum|TOP 10 common pilot errors

1. CSC in the mid-air (Combination Stick Command)
2. Propeller shoots off
3. RTH Crash
4. Auto landing far from home
5. Flying out of sight
6. Watching FPV and flying backwards
7. Indoor flight
8. Failsafe and gain the altitude
9. Bad environment
10. Braking distance

Be aware and fly safe!

Me thinks number 1 on that list should be 'Bad Compass Calibration'!

Talking of which, it seems to me (touch wood) that we hardly get any posts about fly-aways these days. A few months back there must have been one every few days.

Could this be because the last two or three DJI firmware updates have fixed various bugs ? Or is it all the good advice for better piloting on this forum - or a bit of both?

Just to prove me wrong it'll all go pear shaped next week now.

Lol, I never would've guessed #1 would be that. Seems like a very unlikely scenario, especially if you read the manual and understand what it does. I can think of no possible scenario where you would accidentally activate that feature.

I'd put #3 at #1 and I'd like to know how the flight recorder data indicates a prop flew off. I'd also think Compass error or loss of gps signal would be other major causes.

Accidental CSC is a serious situation and in my opinion, given the consequences should not be able to be initiated during active flight.
Its a disaster waiting to happen ... and to those that say it cannot clearly, according to this data it DOES
there are many situation where it would be easy to initiate a CSC as the evidence supports

In theory, it is possible, to activate by accident the CSC that shuts off the motors by flying? I mean the famous \ /
I guess it is.

Accidental CSC is a serious situation and in my opinion, given the consequences should not be able to be initiated during active flight.
Its a disaster waiting to happen ... and to those that say it cannot clearly, according to this data it DOES
there are many situation where it would be easy to initiate a CSC as the evidence supports
I think they are thinking that is more important to be able to stop the spinning blades if the unit is about to crash anyways.

I have played with this in the simulator and it is possible to restart the motors if you are high enough up (at least in the simulator :)

In theory, it is possible, to activate by accident the CSC that shuts off the motors by flying? I mean the famous \ /
I guess it is.
Or just by descending to quickly with the left stick pulled too far down, I'm always nervous with the left stick when descending.

Or just by descending to quickly with the left stick pulled too far down, I'm always nervous with the left stick when descending.
No this wont do it. You don't need to be nervous about that. If i need to descend quickly its usually because a plane is approaching then i forget about smooth video and just get down. So in other words i don't use pitch, yaw or roll at the same time. I just get down. This will avoid any accidental CSC

Really? I was with the idea that the sonar sensor in the bottom would prevent this until reach a surface?

I hope I have been wrong, worrying about pulling the left stick on the RC too far down when descending and subsequently cutting the motors, it is just that when first flying the inspire along side quite an experienced operator, he told me to be very careful not to pull down to far on the left stick while descending, as it would cut the motors.

I hope I have been wrong, worrying about pulling the left stick on the RC too far down when descending and subsequently cutting the motors, it is just that when first flying the inspire along side quite an experienced operator, he told me to be very careful not to pull down to far on the left stick while descending, as it would cut the motors.
thats not true, the motors only shut off when holding the left stick down if the inspire is on the ground as detected by the sonar on the bottom, if its in the air it wont shut them down.

I think they are thinking that is more important to be able to stop the spinning blades if the unit is about to crash anyways.

I have played with this in the simulator and it is possible to restart the motors if you are high enough up (at least in the simulator :)
This, ^^

Plus no one said it was impossible, I only said its a very unlikely stick combination to be using during flight so accidentally triggering it is very unlikely. there is no flight maneuver that would necessitate holding both sticks down and to the inside corners. Even still it takes a few seconds to activate so if you somehow do manage to accidentally press that stick combination you should have time to change stick position before it activates anyway if you know whats going on.

thats not true, the motors only shut off when holding the left stick down if the inspire is on the ground as detected by the sonar on the bottom, if its in the air it wont shut them down.
Thanks SultanGris, that's good to know, I always thought it seemed a bit stupid of Dji to design it the way I thought it was, I can relax a bit now when I need to descend the craft quickly. The video clip of the inspire being attacked by Eagles comes to mind.

Thanks SultanGris, that's good to know, I always thought it seemed a bit stupid of Dji to design it the way I thought it was, I can relax a bit now when I need to descend the craft quickly. The video clip of the inspire being attacked by Eagles comes to mind.
Be very careful, I believe that the motor CAN be shut down with CSC during flight.
Do not assume that the sonar has any effect whatsoever on the CSC

Be very careful, I believe that the motor CAN be shut down with CSC during flight.
Do not assume that the sonar has any effect whatsoever on the CSC
Thanks for your reply, so are you saying that while airborne the motors will definitely stop if the left hand stick of the RC just on its own, is held all the way back to the descend position, (Not both sticks held down and inwards or outwards)

Thanks for your reply, so are you saying that while airborne the motors will definitely stop if the left hand stick of the RC just on its own, is held all the way back to the descend position, (Not both sticks held down and inwards or outwards)
That's exactly NOT what he is saying. He's talking about CSC, you're quoting him yourself.
CSC is both sticks down and in or up and out.

The very reason that these things happen is because a LOT of people don't seem to know what CSC is and does.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan