Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Trackers

seems like the best option is both, although i'm leaning towards buying a Marco Polo. 50' GPS accuracy is quite a large area if you're searching in a field of corn, or a dense woodland area. Not a problem in an open field or someone's back garden.

The two times I've nearly lost my quads it's been late evening light, in dense trees, and I've only found it because I could still spin up the motors and hear which tree it was hanging from. Am pretty sure GPS would not have helped me in those situations.

After a flyaway, with even a 1/2 mile range, with the Marco Polo it ought to be possible to find the Inspire as you know which direction it has gone. Not foolproof, but it seems good enough for me. Also, where I fly there is often patchy mobile signal - and of course the one time you'd need it would be the one time there's no cell coverage.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
I'm thinking of buying an RF-V16 tracker to use here in Australia but I'm a bit hesitant to buy if from ebay as I'm unsure if they are the genuine product and not a fake. Can anyone recommend where to buy?
Thanks.

I'm thinking of buying an RF-V16 tracker to use here in Australia but I'm a bit hesitant to buy if from ebay as I'm unsure if they are the genuine product and not a fake. Can anyone recommend where to buy?
Thanks.
Amazon.com if they ship down under..
if not I'll buy you one and ship it to you ..there around 60 usd.. plus whatever the shipping would be to Australia. .you can send me the cash when you get it..
aussies are honest rite ? ?
turbo. .

Last edited:
I eagerly await your results. This is the RC version of Marco Polo and not the Pet Tracker version, correct?

There is not really that much difference between the pet version and the RC version of Marco Polo. Both have 250 mW (+24 dBM) transmitters and receiver sensitivities of -125 dBm. The RC version does have about 4 dB additional antenna gain over pet version but that 4 dB does not make a very large difference in the maximum range. Basically the link margin, allowing for harmonic filtering, matching losses, antenna gain, etc., of the pet product is 141 dB and the margin for the RC product is 145 dB. Whatever conditions produce these loss figures at 904.5 MHz defines the maximum range of the system. In free space this calculates to 625 miles - results on the earth will be less!

it is not possible to experience 141 dB of loss at 900 MHz at 50 feet of distance. I don't care if the tag was in an RF screen room, the isolation would not be that high (yes, I have done it.) If you had the experience that the product did not work at 50 feet then it was because it was broken, not because it is "Junk".

I'm an owner of both the TK102 and TAGG the Pet Tracker.. Either way to look at it, it's piece of mind.. What's evident is it's not FULLPROOF !! All aside I've considered other options as they don't fit my flying needs should all things go wrong.. What I mean is an ALL IN ONE, self powered GPS TRANSCEIVER that operates on both cell tower and radio band communication.. That being said wouldn't hurt to have a locating Beacon with strobe and audible alert for timed flight sequence... I'm sure it's worth millions, if not billions beings this hobby is a booming industry... Keeping it lightweight is essential, but is more efficient on the bigger payload crafts.. Battery consumption should be minimal unless called upon for recovery, hence don't need an oversized internal/independent battery.. So much to be considered and well thought out, but I'm sure it's a beast of a SALE.. Not only quadcopters alike, but all RC equipment to including other vehicle operations.. The GOAL!!! Keeping it reasonably priced with various options, and elite models.. All options available should one or a few communications fail if needed and reliable for recovery.. Just amazed manufacturers like Garmin or Magellan haven't stepped up and produced such an obvious GOLDMINE[emoji6]!!! I know, I know it's not asking much but I'm not shy with money when it comes to security and protection[emoji6]!!

Here's another option!!
http://www.optimaltracking.com/en/gps-modelisme

If you had the experience that the product did not work at 50 feet then it was because it was broken, not because it is "Junk".

completely agree. Plenty of people on RC Groups using the pet version as it is more weather resistant. the post referenced above is either a broken unit or trolling. I'd suggest the latter, due to the use of the work 'junk'.

if not I'll buy you one and ship it to you ..there around 60 usd.. plus whatever the shipping would be to Australia. .you can send me the cash when you get it..
turbo. .
Of course we're honest! I may have found a genuine one on Ebay. Just waiting for a response from the seller. If all goes to shite, I'll take you up on your offer. I'll let you know.
Thanks turbo :)

I eagerly await your results. This is the RC version of Marco Polo and not the Pet Tracker version, correct?
Yes this is the RC version. I didn't get a chance to test the range last weekend, but family is out of town as of today so I will have some time for a range test this week. Thanks!

I'm an owner of both the TK102 and TAGG the Pet Tracker.. Either way to look at it, it's piece of mind.. What's evident is it's not FULLPROOF !! All aside I've considered other options as they don't fit my flying needs should all things go wrong.. What I mean is an ALL IN ONE, self powered GPS TRANSCEIVER that operates on both cell tower and radio band communication.. That being said wouldn't hurt to have a locating Beacon with strobe and audible alert for timed flight sequence... I'm sure it's worth millions.

Don't get too excited just yet --- but I've been emailing an engineer at Flytrex via Facebook and he informs me the forthcoming 4G version of their Live device will likely have some kind of audible alarm that will be triggered via cell tower. When you get a GPS fix on your downed bird and get to within 100' of it, just call the phone # assigned to the SIM card inside your Live device and the 90dB alarm will sound. Very easy to find it in the dusk/dark when your bird is buried in thick weeds or underbrush. :p

Reactions: PB30X
Don't get too excited just yet --- but I've been emailing an engineer at Flytrex via Facebook and he informs me the forthcoming 4G version of their Live device will likely have some kind of audible alarm that will be triggered via cell tower. When you get a GPS fix on your downed bird and get to within 100' of it, just call the phone # assigned to the SIM card inside your Live device and the 90dB alarm will sound. Very easy to find it in the dusk/dark when your bird is buried in thick weeds or underbrush. :p

That's fine but some of the remote areas I fly in West Virginia have NO CELLPHONE RECEPTION for miles... That's what I'm referring to as having all the options wrapped in one unit... I'm referring to radio frequencies such as the Garmin Rino with position reporting and then activate an audible alert need beings[emoji6].. The technology is out there it's a matter of patent infringement...

Reactions: DamesNY
Just bit the bullet and bought the RF-V16 from Amazon. I hope it's the right one (as in, legit), and not that awful pink version, but I guess I'll live with it if it's pink.

I thought about Trackimo, but the yearly subscription thing didn't sit well. I can't fly for 5 months out of the year, so I'd like to get a pay-as-you-go SIM option.

turbo. .

I ended up buying one off ebay from a seller here in Australia. Thanks again for your offer Turbo, I really appreciate it.

I have used one of these to one of our cats.
Would it work to the drone? What I wonder is whether it will jam the drone, with its radio signal.
The cat has become indoor cat, so do not use the necklace anymore.

15719290-origpic-5a9ff1.jpg

Weight: about 30 grams
Dimensions: 15 x50 x 19mm
Frequency: 433-434 MHz
Range: about 0.5 - 1 km
Operating time: 14 days

Last edited:
For the rf-v16, I like mounting it on one of the arms. For larger devices I would mount it on the upper 25mm boom or on the rear of the craft. I'm just worried that the blade could flex enough in some conditions to hit the bigger devices like the trackimo.
I was thinking of sticking mine at the back of the aircraft with velcro (behind the battery). Would it create any interference there? I'm worried that when the sim is active it may create a problem.

I am using the Marco Polo and placing it on the bottom of one of the arms. Seems to be fine there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

For the rf-v16, I like mounting it on one of the arms. For larger devices I would mount it on the upper 25mm boom or on the rear of the craft. I'm just worried that the blade could flex enough in some conditions to hit the bigger devices like the trackimo.

Hey blade, I just got my RF-V16 today. Do you have any pics of how you have yours mounted? What did you use to mount it?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah