Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Travel Suggestion for Drone Trip

Reaction score
Myself & 2 friends are leaving Houston, Texas in a good size RV. Our plan is to drive West to the Fort Davis Mountain area ( there is a cool Observatory there) continuing West to the Grand Canyon (Arizona)then head North all the way up to the Utah-Wyoming-Montana, then back South going thru Colorado back to Houston.

My question to those who have suggestions are this. Giving the path I gave what are the "Coolest-Dopest-Awesome" areas (example:Yellowstone). to fly my Drones and get some "Bucket-list" videos.

****Keep in mind I understand your not supposed to fly your drone in Natl Parks! However I've read that if you approach a Park Ranger or whatever the name of the folks that patrol & service these parks, in a very respectful & friendly manner.... That they will allow you to film some with your Drone...
So I'm leaving in the beginning of May (I was told the snow on roads in the NW states would be clear by then///(Colorado-Montana-Utah)
Plan on driving appx 4,000 miles in 7-8 states over 10-14 days trip.

I look forward to you're suggestions!
Thanks....

Thx: Drone-Outlaw
I'm rocking a "P2V++" & "INSPIRE-1V-2"

You will NOT be permitted at all, to fly in a National park.
Don't waste your time asking, or theirs!

You will NOT be permitted at all, to fly in a National park.
Don't waste your time asking, or theirs!

The purpose of my post was to gain some
Collaborative input as places to fly in the areas i.e. States 4000 miles we are traveling. Not some clandestine conspiracy to fly my Drone illegally.....

AS I CLEARLY MENTIONED IN MY POST I KNOW THE LAWS. I respect the laws... However I have received 1st hand knowledge otherwise or I wouldn't have bothered.
Let's keep your comments helping with cool places to fly LEGALLY IN THE AREAS or the states I MENTIONED...

GEEZZ!!!

Thx: Drone-Outlaw
I'm rocking a "P2V++" & "INSPIRE-1V-2"

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy Parker
Hi MD ifly,
Eloquently put my man!! as I mentioned in my original post I am extremely respectful of laws. I left out that I am a retired Texas Ranger, and have the upmost respect for law-enforcement and would never do anything to infringe on a blatant disregard for the law. I also left out that I am 95% incapacitated and require the use of a wheelchair or power chair to get around. So many of the sites my two friends will be able to see firsthand I will not without the use of the assist of one of my drones. With that in mind I was hoping to be given some leniency of which I have numerous accounts from wounded vets that this is been done throughout the country.
Thanks again brother!
DroneOutlaw

Reactions: Dr. Ifly Drones
Here is one from Nevada.

FYI: that is not my Prius cause you'll never see me caught alive or dead in one.

2015_04_12_17_56_49.jpg

and another in NV.

gl_road_11.jpg

Completed my trip- hit every spot mentioned above, along with a few more. Not much Drone travel due to a flare up with my legs. I did get some awesome video of that Giant Meteor Crater however! Covert like a Muuu....;-) will try posting that later. The photo attached is the only "signage" I observed the entire trip, which totaled 8 states & 5000 miles in 13 days....
903bb8b9ca91ae3b29ee3613fb723a4a.jpg

The sign was located at this location. Folks over the age of 50 will all know the movie location of this iconic landmark!
5ff342a0dff22ba39e6ef11cf57bff03.jpg

70f3ab50d95c9229864283c3ed1797c8.jpg

Here is the current "Wallpaper Pic" I'm using on my iPad. It's from the "Inspire" covert flight. A definite "CHECK OFF" from my top 5 "BUCKET LIST" wishes.
Moose

This is at the Valley of Fire just north of LV. It is a gorgeous place to do flying but I would have to guess an incident occurred there thus NEvada Parks and Rec made it really difficult for any remote pilot.

Yep, it only takes one incident for our "already" controversial hobby these days. There where several very cool mountain areas we traveled through in NM & AZ that would have been perfect (see pic). But I got a DVT in my leg the 2nd day of the trip. And it was just to painful to fly.
994c42cd03efa077ac4611e48b447ece.jpg

Moose

This is at the Valley of Fire just north of LV. It is a gorgeous place to do flying but I would have to guess an incident occurred there thus NEvada Parks and Rec made it really difficult for any remote pilot.

BTW: I asked a park attendant how far the property lines where for the park (thinking I might try what I did with the "meteor crater "), but she uttered 7 MILES!!! So yeah that shot that idea. Also I thought I was going to get "tasered, or pepper sprayed" for just taking to iPhone pic of their stupid "No Drones" sign......
Moose

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide