Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Trying to get an I1 to work

Reaction score
I just bought a very cheap Inspire 1 Version A as a broken one. I just want to see if there is something that i can do to get it to work before i consider it a "drone for parts".

The I1 is turning on and makes the start up beeps and the fan turns on, but the tail light is not lit up and the I1 does not respond to the camera and the GO app doesn't recognize the I1 or the camera, it only recognizes the remote controller.
The GO app just shows a black screen despite the camera being connected and the camera gimbal can be rotated by hand, also the I1 is in transport mode.
And since the camera is not working when its on the I1 i can't use an SD card on the camera.

Is there anything i can do to try to make it work somehow? What about the USB connector in the tail of the I1, can i use that somehow?

Question: Is there another way to update the firmware than through the camera SD card slot?

Update: The USB port on the I1 doesn't seem to work either, it can't be connected to the computer, obviously since the I1 doesn't communicate with the GO app.

Thanks for some suggestions and ideas.

Last edited:
I don't know if the camera will work in transport mode. Put it in flight mode. Power it off. Then connect the camera.

Thanks but i can't put the craft to flight mode since the craft doesn't communicate with the GO app and not with the remote control either.

Use to be able to flip the switch next to the return to home button 4 times.
to get out of travel mode.

thought you posted it only recognizes the remote.
rebind the remote to the craft if it does not.
you can put in travel mode without the app.

thought you posted it only recognizes the remote.
rebind the remote to the craft if it does not.
you can put in travel mode without the app.

Well actually i have not tested to bind the remote to the Craft since i tested with the remote from my functioning I1, i didnt thought about the binding process , but i suspect it will not work, but its absolutely worth a try. I will test and post back.

Question: can 1 remote be binded to more than one I1 craft at the same time? Or i mean so it works with more than one craft but not at the same time, or does one need to do a new rebinding when one wants to use the remote with the second Craft?

Wow i was able to bind the remote with the craft and i even got the craft to communicate with the GO app and even start the motors. So thanks.

But i noticed that the tail light does not lit up and i can't use the micro USB connection to connect it with my computer, does anybody know if the tail light and the USB connector is in the same piece of hardware?
Im thinking that maybe that piece is broken? Can that thing be installed separately?

You need to activate "Flight log mode" in the Go-app to mount the USB to a computer.

I think the lights come on when you take off if i dont remember wrong.

You need to activate "Flight log mode" in the Go-app to mount the USB to a computer.

I think the lights come on when you take off if i dont remember wrong.

Yes i did that in the GO app but it still won't show up on the computer, tried two PC computers and one Mac.
No i think the tail light shall lit up as soon as you turn on the craft, but the leg lights turns on only after you arm the motors.

Maybe i should try to see if i can remove that part, maybe some cable that has come loose?

Removed the part with the tail light and the USB port, they are in the same piece of hardware, probably the connection to that piece of hardware had come loose since i re-attach it and the tail light and USB port are now working.

There were extremely little space to work in, the connection has such a short cable that you need very small hands to be able to work more easy.

Have you tried loading the latest version of the firmware? If some, or all, of your problems - which appear might be software related - are corrupted or out of sync with each other, running a complete firmware update might fix that. Running an update would also mean risking an update failure, though.

If the camera and gimbal weren't talking to the I1, that might also be because the firmware versions of all three are out of sync.

Just a thought

PS: There's a USB connector by the tail strobe?! I thought you had to go through the camera.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont