Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

U.S Gov. to require drone registration

There's a new County law in LA that enforces the faa recommend guide lines for drone operations charging the offenders with a misdemeanor and fines..
No Bueno. ..

...and the black market for unregistered drones begins! :eek:
Stock up now! :D

"Grandfathered Unregistered Drones: Brand New in Original Box!"
==>P3P only $2,500.
==>Inspire1 only $5,999!
All Serial Numbers Removed!
Discreetly delivered in plain brown packaging!
:p

Last edited:
I don't get it. Most everyone up here claims to want to be certified for commercial use. Most everyone espouses their responsible use of their aircraft(s) and pretty much everyone decries the dummies who fly and shoot where they shouldn't. So why do we worry about registering our AC so the skies are safer and the dummies are weeded-out?

Once someone has a craft capable of long distance flight and capability to fly above legal limits, whats wrong with being held accountable for responsible use of such an aircraft?

I agree the FAA needs to get off their butts and get a handle on this. Soon many more people will be purchasing these and we will see more drama. I think they should even go farther and drive new drones with black boxes so real time gps locations on all in the air can be watched (like commercial aircraft). The idea would be that if a drone is at a designated height or above, flight data would be available.
I would gladly be willing to provide data (in fact I already am via flytrax). I am still hoping they reduce the requirements for commercial use (makes no sense to force us to get a pilots license while thousands each day are flying with zero knowledge). I am good even taking a test on general aviation and registration.
If the FAA blunders much more the general public will want bans all over the place.

Reactions: Figbar
I think NBC is misunderstanding what their "source" told them:

1) The FAA is part of the Department of Transportation.
2) The FAA has a mandate to create new rules for the commercial operation of UAS (drones).
3) The FAA draft rules included registration (N number).
4) The FAA is overdue in releasing their final rules.

Therefore it is my guess that the "drone registration announcement" by the Department of Transportation is actually the final version of the FAA rules for commercial operation of drones which will make this announcement a great thing for those of us in the 333 exemption queue.

Reactions: Figbar
I don't get it. Most everyone up here claims to want to be certified for commercial use. Most everyone espouses their responsible use of their aircraft(s) and pretty much everyone decries the dummies who fly and shoot where they shouldn't. So why do we worry about registering our AC so the skies are safer and the dummies are weeded-out?

Once someone has a craft capable of long distance flight and capability to fly above legal limits, whats wrong with being held accountable for responsible use of such an aircraft?

It always begins like this when useless government clerks begin to write endless laws. It starts with 50 pages but in 10 years it will be 50000 of all useless stuff just to get their useless *** paid with your taxes.

It has nothing to do with responsible flying. Its one thing not to fly over 150m, at airports, over masses of people in the city center but its a completely other thing to limit everything like 500m range or stay away 50m of anything.

I have been in the hobby of model aircraft and flying RC for almost 60 years I am abhorred by all of this crap. to promote a flying camera, on a rc quad as a drone is ludicrous and absurd. The government has drones . Drones are used to kill people. People hate drones. The Government loves all of this, another way to bilk money and create another bureaucracy to gather money and control, and harass. The word drone might as well be the word gun, because that is the way it is going to be viewed, I cant believe that this is being done to a beautiful hobby. I am assuredly glad that I got to enjoy the hobby from the beginning of RC, it was wonderful, I always knew that there would be a day when the government and a few idiots would ruin it for everyone, Since RC conception we have always had the ability to fly say, over the altitude limit, or in an unsafe area, or even attach camera's, Lose control and hit some one or something. Beware if the idiots dont ruin this or the liberal press, stupid *** politicians will, that is what they do. Have you ever heard of false flags, Do you remember the one several years ago that the fbi set some idiot up to to fly something into the pentagon or something, they set him up with a ducted fan, I mean come on, it would barely carry its own weight and do you think this idiot could fly a ducted fan into a target, give me a break, I knew right then that a beautiful thing was going to end in hysteria. Beware of false flags, has having a license to drive gotten all idiots off of the road? Or prevented wrecks, vehicle homicides ect. Not.
There are rules if you cant follow them and use common sense then you are dealt with. I do not by the way refer to my flying cameras to people as drones, I refer to them as quads with cameras and or flying cameras. People do not know how to react, they say isnt it a drone. I say to them, that drones are used by the government to kill people, and to spy on you, I use this to take Ariel pictures it is not a drone. Maybe if we would quit referring to our flying camera platforms as killing machines we could get a better reception.

I think NBC is misunderstanding what their "source" told them:

1) The FAA is part of the Department of Transportation.
2) The FAA has a mandate to create new rules for the commercial operation of UAS (drones).
3) The FAA draft rules included registration (N number).
4) The FAA is overdue in releasing their final rules.

Therefore it is my guess that the "drone registration announcement" by the Department of Transportation is actually the final version of the FAA rules for commercial operation of drones which will make this announcement a great thing for those of us in the 333 exemption queue.
The lack of detail in the article and lack a credible named source at the FAA or DOT wreaks of yellow journalism. I'm very skeptical as well!

Last edited:
I'm torn on the topic. On one hand it creates an easier path to get back your drone in the event it is stolen( I would assume *Registry*). However, it also gathers private information for those of us who just use them for recreational purposes.

I'm torn on the topic. On one hand it creates an easier path to get back your drone in the event it is stolen

Did you ever get back easier a car or creditcard just because its registered somewhere? Did police EVER find something you have been stolen and gave it back to you?? Or are the only things they find for you park tickets and traffic fines?

Did you ever get back easier a car or creditcard just because its registered somewhere? Did police EVER find something you have been stolen and gave it back to you?? Or are the only things they find for you park tickets and traffic fines?
How exactly is registering a purchase going help you recover your stolen drone? The thief certainly isn't going to leave your name on it, nor any identifying serial number, and this "registration" certainly doesn't include Lojack tracking, and even if it did, it would immediately be disabled by any "self-respecting" thief!:confused:

I'm not a believer in government making things better. There has been a pretty poor track record of that.

Regardless of your stance on the issue, or what you choose to call a Spreading Wings, Inspire, Phantom, etc., the FAA considers them a UAS. In the case of Phantoms, perhaps sUAS. I regularly refer to mine as an aerial camera.

Prior to guidelines or software restrictions, and continuing even today, people push their UAS to ridiculous heights and distances. The boards (like this one, rcgroups, youtube) are filled with failures of the UAS system (communication loss, control loss, GPS failures, motor failures, ESC failures) that resulted in uncontrolled descent and impacts. The airspace incursions and potential for damage, injury and catastrophe are motivating authorities to "do something".

There are no circumstances in which a commercial or recreational UAS user should fly above 500 feet or out of LOS (line of sight), unless it is for building/infrastructure inspection (towers, bridges, etc.) or search and rescue, in which cases exceptions should be made to those certified to operate in the NAS (national airspace system).

500 foot exclusion zones, as requested of FAA Section 333 operators, are difficult to set up and maintain. That being stated, a UAS with 50% battery charge that undergoes a loss of control or system failure has a much larger range of potential impact. Given a speed of 30 mph for and 5 minutes of remaining flight time yields a radius of 2 1/2 miles and a potential impact zone area of 19.63 square miles, which is impossible to keep clear of hazards.

The only way to minimize a catastrophic event is the training, certification and insurance of operators and aircrafts. A 2.4 kg sUAS traveling at 20 mph delivers the same force as a baseball traveling at 412 mph. Granted the density of a baseball would transfer its energy at the point of impact much more efficiently than a disintegrating sUAS, the physics are quite scary for those in the radius of impact, especially while pushing a baby stroller.

As to what changed my mind about all of this, I was the proud owner of a P2V+ which was meticulously maintained. My Flytrex Live box stopped functioning, so I had removed it for service, otherwise I always flew with a tracker. I went up for a recreational flight and was on my own commercial property, taking photos of the building with the changing leaves. The software was up to date, and I performed a thorough pre flight and run-up check of all systems. I had 10 satellites. I was under 100 feet and within line of sight. With 60% battery remaining, the phantom began a heavy drift away and towards a tree line. Telemetry to the app was lost. I switched IOC to home lock and pulled back on the right stick. No response. I switched to RTH, no response. As it cleared the tree line and disappeared from view, I switched to ATTI and attempted to follow it. It continued out of sight and was not recovered. Loss of GPS, flight controller failure, bad motor or ESC, or interference are all possible causes, as is pilot error (though I have no idea how I could have done anything different). I am a licensed private pilot since 1997. I have flown over 500 hours with uas's, over 400 in type. If I could have an loss of control incident, anyone could, especially untrained consumers picking up a new toy from their local hobby store.

Had this incident occurred during a high school football game, or during a surfing shoot, or during a commercial operation in a more densely populated area, there could have been a traffic accident, property damage, or a personal injury. Since there was no control, the uas could also have ascended into the airspace (doubtful) causing an even greater tragedy.

Get on board with regulation and registrations, it is for the good of the hobby and the public. The wild west is being tamed, gents.

Last edited:

Oh come on! This will be nothing more than a revenue generator for the peckerwoods running this country (into the ground).

I'm not a believer in government making things better. There has been a pretty poor track record of that.

Regardless of your stance on the issue, or what you choose to call a Spreading Wings, Inspire, Phantom, etc., the FAA considers them a UAS. In the case of Phantoms, perhaps sUAS. I regularly refer to mine as an aerial camera.

Prior to guidelines or software restrictions, and continuing even today, people push their UAS to ridiculous heights and distances. The boards (like this one, rcgroups, youtube) are filled with failures of the UAS system (communication loss, control loss, GPS failures, motor failures, ESC failures) that resulted in uncontrolled descent and impacts. The airspace incursions and potential for damage, injury and catastrophe are motivating authorities to "do something".

There are no circumstances in which a commercial or recreational UAS user should fly above 500 feet or out of LOS (line of sight), unless it is for building/infrastructure inspection (towers, bridges, etc.) or search and rescue, in which cases exceptions should be made to those certified to operate in the NAS (national airspace system).

500 foot exclusion zones, as requested of FAA Section 333 operators, are difficult to set up and maintain. That being stated, a UAS with 50% battery charge that undergoes a loss of control or system failure has a much larger range of potential impact. Given a speed of 30 mph for and 5 minutes of remaining flight time yields a radius of 2 1/2 miles and a potential impact zone area of 19.63 square miles, which is impossible to keep clear of hazards.

The only way to minimize a catastrophic event is the training, certification and insurance of operators and aircrafts. A 2.4 kg sUAS traveling at 20 mph delivers the same force as a baseball traveling at 412 mph. Granted the density of a baseball would transfer its energy at the point of impact much more efficiently than a disintegrating sUAS, the physics are quite scary for those in the radius of impact, especially while pushing a baby stroller.

As to what changed my mind about all of this, I was the proud owner of a P2V+ which was meticulously maintained. My Flytrex Live box stopped functioning, so I had removed it for service, otherwise I always flew with a tracker. I went up for a recreational flight and was on my own commercial property, taking photos of the building with the changing leaves. The software was up to date, and I performed a thorough pre flight and run-up check of all systems. I had 10 satellites. I was under 100 feet and within line of sight. With 60% battery remaining, the phantom began a heavy drift away and towards a tree line. Telemetry to the app was lost. I switched IOC to home lock and pulled back on the right stick. No response. I switched to RTH, no response. As it cleared the tree line and disappeared from view, I switched to ATTI and attempted to follow it. It continued out of sight and was not recovered. Loss of GPS, flight controller failure, bad motor or ESC, or interference are all possible causes, as is pilot error (though I have no idea how I could have done anything different). I am a licensed private pilot since 1997. I have flown over 500 hours with uas's, over 400 in type. If I could have an loss of control incident, anyone could, especially untrained consumers picking up a new toy from their local hobby store.

Had this incident occurred during a high school football game, or during a surfing shoot, or during a commercial operation in a more densely populated area, there could have been a traffic accident, property damage, or a personal injury. Since there was no control, the uas could also have ascended into the airspace (doubtful) causing an even greater tragedy.

Get on board with regulation and registrations, it is for the good of the hobby and the public. The wild west is being tamed, gents.
Couldn't disagree more! Sorry for your loss, but that is no justification for the draconian restrictions being sought. Your horriblization of the potential for disaster does not make it a reality. Perfect storms can and do happen in every day life. Should driving cars now be made illegal because a mere possibility exists for mass death? Registering drone purchases will change absolutely nothing!

A dollar for each egg and tomatoe flying why is there no local restistance?

Comments are disabled on their live oppression stream due to "technical problems" :eek:

Well thats my comment

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pavitrakher1