Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UAV Insurance Group On Facebook!

Are you planning on shooting events as part of your business? If so, that might limit your options when it comes to UAV insurance. Some companies, not all, specifically exclude events. Furthermore, some companies will not even provide a quote for you.

Joe Ernster
[email protected]

One of the aviation insurance companies that I work with, Global Aerospace, just released a UAV related "White Paper" today. Check it out!

Joe Ernster
[email protected]

Attachments

• 111716-White Paper.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 14
Hello!

Global Aerospace has just released a new White Paper. This one is concerning Contracting With and Between UAS Operators. Have a look!

Sincerely,

Joe Ernster
[email protected]

Attachments

• Global_Dombroff-Whitepaper_GA.52.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
46chief,

This has been a very common complaint from UAV operators. However, this is the way that aviation insurance works. You must schedule and pay for each UAV that you would like to insure. I insure manned aircraft guys that own 5 airplanes, They have to pay for the insurance on each one. From experience, I know that quote came from United States Specialty Insurance Company (USSIC/Tokio Marine/HCC). That is currently one of the best deals out there for UAV insurance from a reputable aviation insurance company. I have been approached by some companies that offer "blanket coverage" for UAV operators. However, the companies that I have seen offering those policies have all bee "non-admitted." We do not do business with non-admitted companies and I would steer clear of them if I were you.

Think of UAV insurance like auto insurance. I own two cars, I can only drive one at a time, but I must carry liability coverage on each one separately.

Thanks,

Joe Ernster
Bullock Agency, Inc.
[email protected]
As an intermediary you are not allowed to place business with a non admitted carrier. However, fronting arrangements are fine and have been used for decades.

The Editor,

Thanks for the clarification. I really appreciate it. All I know is that my agency does not do business with non-admitted companies. I need to look deeper into this matter myself.

Sincerely,

Joe Ernster

Reactions: The Editor
The Editor,

Thanks for the clarification. I really appreciate it. All I know is that my agency does not do business with non-admitted companies. I need to look deeper into this matter myself.

Sincerely,

Joe Ernster
No problem.
Some admitted carriers will put up 100% fronting arrangement which means in reality the risk is actually being underwritten by a non admitted insurer.
It's a just a way that non admitted insurers can actually write business in jurisdictions where they are not licenced.
100% legal and the fronting company obviously creams off some premium for the service. :)

Does my UAV insurance policy cover me for indoor flights?

Usually, the answer is "no." However, some UAV insurance policy do not specifically exclude indoor flights. It is always a good idea to check with your broker before taking an indoor job. Your broker may need to run it by the insurance underwriter. Some companies will approve indoor operations on a case by case basis.

Sincerely,

Joe Ernster
[email protected]

Joe, can you provide UAV liability insurance if I am only flying the UAV for enjoyment and as a hobby?

First, thank you for sharing your insight. This is the cleanest, clearest threat I've come across. Can you share your opinion of Verifly? Or is that a dirty word. :)

What is a "To Whom It May Concern" COI?

A TWIMC COI is a "general" Certificate of Insurance that is provided by aviation insurance companies. Instead of specifically listing one of your customers on the COI ( like when you add a customer as additional insured), it is a COI that is addressed to "To Whom It May Concern." This way, you can present it to a customer who wants to see proof of insurance but does not need to be added as Additional Insured. Think of it like an auto insurance ID card. If you want a TWIMC COI, your aviation insurance broker will be able to get that for you.

Thanks,

Joe Ernster
[email protected]

First, thank you for sharing your insight. This is the cleanest, clearest threat I've come across. Can you share your opinion of Verifly? Or is that a dirty word. :)

This is who most use I know. Liability is the main concern in regards to a total loss of business. Insuring your working fleet may be for the extremely large companies that can afford such high rates for total cost of liability and for accidental damage or total loss. But when the rubber meets the road most small commercial operators will take the risk of damage caused by themselves to their sUAS. One looks to get several jobs under their belt to build a capital to replace most of their sUAS stock if damaged beyond repair. Verifly is a great concept of insuring for damage to third parties and protecting you as a LLC most often. Like one earlier poster stated.....for 3 drones and over $2K annual for a quote.......NO way!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexzazz