Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Ughh.. Now what....

Reaction score
This showed up today. New in box.

What do I need to buy next?! What do I need to read (I read the manual)?!

I wont lie, I am both really excited, and really nervous. It's got warranty, I will treat it with respect, but MAN is it ever a lot of money. I invested a lot into my Nikon full frame and lenses, but I have control over their destiny for the most part. This goes up in the sky, and if there are any failures, I may be left standing 5,000$ less in my pocket. (Thats 5000 cdn, I didnt pay that much, I got a fantastic deal that I couldnt pass up)

I alreayd ordered a Zeiss 12mm. Would you suggest selling the stock lens?! If I decide not to keep the unit, does it lose value by not having the original lens in the kit?! I want this for pictures, and I enjoy mostly wide angle shots, I will buy the 12mm and the 14-40 for alternative shots.

I appreciate any advice. I havent flown this yet, but I have owned a Phantom 3 and learned to fly and be a responsibly drone operator on it.20160126_221051.jpg

Also, why is there no link to the firmware on their product page?! My remote is updated, but I cant update the bird/camera?!

Relax, breathe, buy prop guards, go fly your craft and enjoy.
I paid over $7K for a two remote pro bundle crashed it in the second week had to buy a $2K gimbal now I'm back up and more thrilled than ever.

Reactions: burlbark
This showed up today. New in box.

What do I need to buy next?! What do I need to read (I read the manual)?!

I wont lie, I am both really excited, and really nervous. It's got warranty, I will treat it with respect, but MAN is it ever a lot of money. I invested a lot into my Nikon full frame and lenses, but I have control over their destiny for the most part. This goes up in the sky, and if there are any failures, I may be left standing 5,000$ less in my pocket. (Thats 5000 cdn, I didnt pay that much, I got a fantastic deal that I couldnt pass up)

I alreayd ordered a Zeiss 12mm. Would you suggest selling the stock lens?! If I decide not to keep the unit, does it lose value by not having the original lens in the kit?! I want this for pictures, and I enjoy mostly wide angle shots, I will buy the 12mm and the 14-40 for alternative shots.

I appreciate any advice. I havent flown this yet, but I have owned a Phantom 3 and learned to fly and be a responsibly drone operator on it.View attachment 5984
First thing first: You may be OK with original DJI 15mm lens for most of the aerial photo and videography, but if you really a quality freak than opt for Olympus line of compatible lenses. Two of them in particular - 12mm and 45mm M.Zuiko prime lenses - are widely recognized as truly superb and compatible with X5 camera. There's a lot of good info and vibe about them around, and I support this opinion. However, if you do just that, you'll never go back to factory lens on X5 ... Second: be prepared for step learning curve, absorbing other Inspire pilots experience. Manual does not provide much of Inspire 1 Pro specific tips, other than you already know by piloting Phantoms. Read as much as you can here and elsewhere and do not rush for maiden trip. Inspire 1 Pro is amazingly designed as a platform for semi pro and pro photography and videography, but extremely vulnerable due to it's enormous mass. Rare crash landings from even a couple of meters often renders destruction beyond repair. Most of mid-air malfunctions and catastrophic failures Is caused by pushing such delicate and actually underpowered apparatus to it's limits, demanding acrobatics with expensive cargo at full speed. I've read complains about firmware inflicted maximum speed limit at 18m/s, if I'm not mistaken about specific number! For such fun Phantoms are much better suited ... Again, consider Inspire as a precise, very high tripod with fairly good camera for aerial photography, or a stable camera dolly for filming - nothing else - and you'll be fine. Just take it easy. On the other hand, every flying machine tends to cooperate with gravity when failure happens. Harder you push, more chances for things going wrong ...

Last edited:
Reactions: eldorado
Great purchase, Im sure you will do fine, the 12 mm will serve you well although the DJI 15 is now kicking but with the updated firmware its super sharp. I love the versatility of the 14/42 as well. All in all a great package.

My bad, I meant to say I ordered in the Olympus lens, not the Zeiss. . Prop guards = good idea. TB48 = coming. And debating if I sell the 15mm or not. Looking forward to posting some shots soon!

My bad, I meant to say I ordered in the Olympus lens, not the Zeiss. . Prop guards = good idea. TB48 = coming. And debating if I sell the 15mm or not. Looking forward to posting some shots soon!
Holy Canoli!!! I just got my 14-42 in and mounted it...WOW!!!!!!! It's a tight fit, I'm a picture taker not a photographer or videographer but I'm learning and editing also, anyway I love this thing. I'll keep my DJI lens just in case or for routine flyabouts (maybe). Unfortunately I thought I ordered the balancing ring from DJI with some spare props etc.. so I wouldn't have to pay $10 shipping on a $9 product it seems I must not have put it on the order and so far neither Scorpion nor Drone Nerds here in Miami stocks them. DOH!!!
I may shop some camera stores to see if a ND filter will suffice in it's stead. Anyone else have any ideas?
Not a big deal rainy season seems to be here early so I have until the weekend for nice weather.
How do you know if a balancing ring is needed anyway? when I mounted it there was no motor hum or shaking it performed just like the DJI lens.

Holy Canoli!!! I just got my 14-42 in and mounted it...WOW!!!!!!! It's a tight fit, I'm a picture taker not a photographer or videographer but I'm learning and editing also, anyway I love this thing. I'll keep my DJI lens just in case or for routine flyabouts (maybe). Unfortunately I thought I ordered the balancing ring from DJI with some spare props etc.. so I wouldn't have to pay $10 shipping on a $9 product it seems I must not have put it on the order and so far neither Scorpion nor Drone Nerds here in Miami stocks them. DOH!!!
I may shop some camera stores to see if a ND filter will suffice in it's stead. Anyone else have any ideas?
Not a big deal rainy season seems to be here early so I have until the weekend for nice weather.
How do you know if a balancing ring is needed anyway? when I mounted it there was no motor hum or shaking it performed just like the DJI lens.
Olympus 14-42 zoom lens - although good enough to many - is rather a poor performer it terms of sharpness, as any cheap zoom lens. By the rule of thumb prime lenses (or fixed) - like equivalent Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm - will provide better, sharper image. Also, do not expect smooth remote zooming during video shots, unless they already fixed this issue. As for need of balancing ring (or not): observe how the camera behave when unpowered. If it tends to swing nose up you'll need some balancing ring on front. An neutral filter may be sufficient as well. If - for change - camera turns nose down, you'll have to attach a dime or quarter on the back with 2-side sticky foam ...

Reactions: MacDyver
Great purchase, Im sure you will do fine, the 12 mm will serve you well although the DJI 15 is now kicking but with the updated firmware its super sharp. I love the versatility of the 14/42 as well. All in all a great package.
Ralph, how is it possible to improve the sharpness of fixed (prime) lens?! If this is done with software inflicted image sharpening, than NO, THANK YOU ...

Ralph, how is it possible to improve the sharpness of fixed (prime) lens?! If this is done with software inflicted image sharpening, than NO, THANK YOU ...
I think so. I know my DJI 15 mm is much sharper now than when I first got going. The settings are the same. That's why I feel like it's a software improvement. I can't imagine what else it would be. Nothing else has changed. What do you think?

I think so. I know my DJI 15 mm is much sharper now than when I first got going. The settings are the same. That's why I feel like it's a software improvement. I can't imagine what else it would be. Nothing else has changed. What do you think?
Software improvement? No, my friend. Enhancement, "photoshoping" - yes, perhaps. Some trickery of that kind is often used by cheaper cameras to output enhanced JPEG file. The lens optics, however, will or will not deliver sharp, undistorted image when focused. That's why some lenses with apparently identical parameters costs a small fortune, while other are more affordable. Only side-by-side comparison of RAW images of the same object, taken at various apertures with different lenses, will reveal the truth. I can bet that Olympus 12mm will still provide sharper/better image, because both will be affected by the "improvement". Now I can't perform such elaborate testing since you've robbed me of this suddenly better DJI 15mm ...:D

Cheers,

Software improvement? No, my friend. Enhancement, "photoshoping" - yes, perhaps. Some trickery of that kind is often used by cheaper cameras to output enhanced JPEG file. The lens optics, however, will or will not deliver sharp, undistorted image when focused. That's why some lenses with apparently identical parameters costs a small fortune, while other are more affordable. Only side-by-side comparison of RAW images of the same object, taken at various apertures with different lenses, will reveal the truth. I can bet that Olympus 12mm will still provide sharper/better image, because both will be affected by the "improvement". Now I can't perform such elaborate testing since you've robbed me of this suddenly better DJI 15mm ...:D

Cheers,
No Robbing here lol just good business. I'm not sure just getting better pictures now than I was before and I haven't changed any settings either way I'm happy

I think it is possible that since the app controls the focusing along with all other controls of the camera, so it's possible for firmware to help the image quality via something like better focus control from the app which is nothing but firmware unlike a physical shutter or focus ring that obviously never changes. I am comparing raw images untouched and I see a big difference in the 15 mm from then to now The way my images are captured is the same way using the same bird using the same imac to download so all of my parameters have stayed the same except new firmware. I'm not saying this is fact at all, I am a photographer so I get your point totally, I'm just saying it's better period! For me that's what I'm after. Whatever or whoever made it better I am glad.
Respectfully,
Ralph

Reactions: gruvpix

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips