Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK Pilots - Some clarification please

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Firstly, great site. I have been browsing it for a few days and there has been very useful information :)

I have been flying my new Inspire at the school where I work and have loved it. I have started looking further afield for places of interest but have found different interpretations based on the UK rules.

The first question is the 50m rule. Am I correct in assuming that this technically renders my daughter and I flying our little Syma in the back garden illegal? We live in a semi, and there must be at least 10 houses within 50m of us.

Secondly, I live in Surrey and went up to Box hill last weekend to take photo's of the sunrise, but subsequently read conflicting information that there is a blanket ban for anyone flying a UAV (I hate the word drone!) on any National Trust property. Is this correct?

We also have some lovely commons in the village where I live - Would these be out of bounds too?

Safety is always a concern so I do not wish to tarnish our hobby any more than it already is so would love some clarification if possible please.

I have added a few pics, 2 of the school where I work and one of the misty Box hill sunrise. All with standard settings so they are not the best quality, but I am learning!

Thanks
Jason

Attachments

• DJI_0033.JPG
    DJI_0033.JPG
    368.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DJI_0037.JPG
    DJI_0037.JPG
    422.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DJI_0078.JPG
    DJI_0078.JPG
    362.9 KB · Views: 27
Hi everyone

Firstly, great site. I have been browsing it for a few days and there has been very useful information :)

I have been flying my new Inspire at the school where I work and have loved it. I have started looking further afield for places of interest but have found different interpretations based on the UK rules.

The first question is the 50m rule. Am I correct in assuming that this technically renders my daughter and I flying our little Syma in the back garden illegal? We live in a semi, and there must be at least 10 houses within 50m of us.

Secondly, I live in Surrey and went up to Box hill last weekend to take photo's of the sunrise, but subsequently read conflicting information that there is a blanket ban for anyone flying a UAV (I hate the word drone!) on any National Trust property. Is this correct?

We also have some lovely commons in the village where I live - Would these be out of bounds too?

Safety is always a concern so I do not wish to tarnish our hobby any more than it already is so would love some clarification if possible please.

I have added a few pics, 2 of the school where I work and one of the misty Box hill sunrise. All with standard settings so they are not the best quality, but I am learning!

Thanks
Jason

If the Syma has a camera on it then technically yes. If you are talking about the Inspire then most definitely yes unless you can get the permission of your neighbours.
The key element is 'Under your control' so you can fly as close as you like to buildings, vehicles, properties, people etc who you have permission from and are deemed under your control.
The standard CAP722 166/167 restrictions are reduced to 30m whilst take off and landing are undertaken.
Schools can be a very sensitive matter not only because of the safety element and proximity to children but also the 'politically correct brigade' of photographing kids etc.
Whenever I am doing jobs near to primary schools etc I always try to time my flights outside of school times if at all possible. If that is not achievable and the school grounds will be in shot but I am operating in accordance with 166/7 then I approach the school to inform them (not ask permission as I do not need it) as a courtesy and a heads up so that some over zealous parent doesn't call the authorities and I end up having to explain I am not some strange pervert! - Really shouldn't be necessary but it is the world we now live in unfortunately.

With regards to the commons where you live, these would be acceptable providing you are cognizant and adhere to the stand off distances of any properties surrounding the commons/green and of course remain under 400ft agl.

Flying powered UAV/model aircraft has always been a no no on National Trust properties since 1998. Gliders are acceptable. I have undertaken many a job on National Heritage sites but permission was always been sought and granted.

Reactions: JasonUK
@JasonUK @The Editor has, as always, given you good advice. The 50m rule is paramount in the UK along with the advisory (CAA PFAW mandated) 'not directly overhead' would preclude most town dwellers flying from their back gardens legally. However, if you work to the 30m takeoff/landing rule and sought you neighbours agreement to become 'under your control' you could possibly fly the Inspire 1 in training mode (30m distance/30m altitude) within and over your garden.

Most of the National Trust 'ban' (which I have not heard of) is an extension of their ban of unauthorised commercial photography of the buildings and properties. The permission of the landowner for your intended takeoff/landing site is the key.

Thanks for the feedback and info guys. It is appreciated.

Mark that photo is stunning. You can see the school's sports dome where I work in the middle right side of the pic.

Was this taken from the car park on the top of Ranmore before you head down the hill towards Dorking?

Where about are you based?

Thanks for the feedback and info guys. It is appreciated.

Mark that photo is stunning. You can see the school's sports dome where I work in the middle right side of the pic.

Was this taken from the car park on the top of Ranmore before you head down the hill towards Dorking?

Where about are you based?
Thanks.. just sent you a pm

There is no blanket ban exactly on NT property, just permission and conditions to be met. However you need to have a good reason, just having a fly for fun is not one of them. Basically they have a set of standing rules which is more or less what is required by certified pilots. If it's of 'scientific' interest the Trust 'may' be interested. Recreational flying however is not allowed. If in doubt contact the property manager.

There is no blanket ban exactly on NT property, just permission and conditions to be met. However you need to have a good reason, just having a fly for fun is not one of them. Basically they have a set of standing rules which is more or less what is required by certified pilots. If it's of 'scientific' interest the Trust 'may' be interested. Recreational flying however is not allowed. If in doubt contact the property manager.
Except gliders - cos they are all quiet and graceful and do not upset the trees/deer/sheep/badgers/peacocks/Guinea Fowl/Gazelle/Hippos/Albatross or Swans (but you get put inside the Tower of London if you mess with those.) :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeddyBirkb