Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!
Reaction score
Website
www.desertwindaeronautical.com
Sorry if the answer or discussion on this is elsewhere, but I couldn't finy any discussions beyond March 2016.

Part of our industrial property is located within a yellow-designated NFZ.

I logged on to DJI and created an unlocking plan by providing a phone number for verification and the serial number of the controller for next Monday/Tuesday time frame.

My question is...how the heck does DJI know that my controller will be inside that NFZ and allow takeoff, especially if my iPad is in Airplane Mode, as I have it most of the time while flying?

Basically, I'm not getting the Black Magic that one would think has to happen for the engines to start.

Thanks!

Sorry if the answer or discussion on this is elsewhere, but I couldn't finy any discussions beyond March 2016.

Part of our industrial property is located within a yellow-designated NFZ.

I logged on to DJI and created an unlocking plan by providing a phone number for verification and the serial number of the controller for next Monday/Tuesday time frame.

My question is...how the heck does DJI know that my controller will be inside that NFZ and allow takeoff, especially if my iPad is in Airplane Mode, as I have it most of the time while flying?

Basically, I'm not getting the Black Magic that one would think has to happen for the engines to start.

Thanks!
It doesn't, but the Inspire and your controller have a GPS internally so will know exactly where you are located.
You are simply 'unlocking' and area which is stored as a database within the app. A comparison is then made between your real time location and any unlocked zones.

That's the last question I will answer on a public beta! :p

Make sure to check your app that the unlock is shown in their. I'm assuming you have the public android geo app or applied for the iOS geo app as they're different that the public apps.

I applied for GEO unlock, providing all the document etc.. Within 3 days I was able to fly in a no-fly zone in Switzerland. Support by DJI was pretty good, I must admit.

DJI provided a special GO app, which also worked as advertised.

Just started flying an Inspire 1 pro V2 and was expecting this to take some of the work away from my SkyJib X4 Ti QR being 12kg. One of my reguler venues is 3 km from Leeds and Bradford airport and being CAA PfAW certified I have a 12 month written permission from head of air traffic control but with conditions these being to call the watch tower 30 mins before take off and call them once landed. So at the moment my Inspire is non functional in this location but I can fly my heavy weight aircraft. I can understand DJI,s development towards NFZ, but there must be suitable controls that allow certified pilots to earn a living and operate in these controlled air spaces. We are responsible, we are trained, we are insured, we all promote safety. So come on DJI support the commercial pilots using your aircraft.

Just started flying an Inspire 1 pro V2 and was expecting this to take some of the work away from my SkyJib X4 Ti QR being 12kg. One of my reguler venues is 3 km from Leeds and Bradford airport and being CAA PfAW certified I have a 12 month written permission from head of air traffic control but with conditions these being to call the watch tower 30 mins before take off and call them once landed. So at the moment my Inspire is non functional in this location but I can fly my heavy weight aircraft. I can understand DJI,s development towards NFZ, but there must be suitable controls that allow certified pilots to earn a living and operate in these controlled air spaces. We are responsible, we are trained, we are insured, we all promote safety. So come on DJI support the commercial pilots using your aircraft.
Looks like there is a solution. (Unlock areas for authorised access) Must read All the replies first in future. I will try this next week and see if it works.

It looks like you can not unlock the red areas. If you are authorized to fly in a red area, by the control tower, must you do this in Atti mode? Lakeland Airport KLAL has their RC model aircraft flying field located right at the airport well within the red area listed there.

Is there a way to just turn this checking off?

I have not tried to launch in a red area (yet). Do you just get a warning or does the app actually prohibit it?

What are the green, yellow and red areas represent? Where does DJI get it's "rules" from. It certainly does not correlate to any sort of airspace.

Does anyone know if DJI is going to align this with Part 107 regulations come August 29?

Do other apps such as Licihi or Autopilot care about green, yellow or red areas?

Last edited:
I had my first experience of the new update yesterday whilst on a site visit to an industrial estate adjacent to Cumbernauld Airport in Central Scotland. I had already spoke to ATC in advance and agreed take off points, altitudes and timings but came up against the yellow Authorisation Zone in the latest firmware update - see map. The weather unfortunately precluded any flying but I started up my Inspire 1 Pro, without the props' to see what would happen. At first everything looked okay but after 20 seconds I was advised on screen that the return to home had been activated and the drone would land asap. I was then given the option of unlocking the Authorisation Zone in a confirm your ID dialogue which required either a credit card of mobile phone number, I chose the latter and seconds later the code appeared on my mobile - see picture below. Once the code had been successfully entered the Inspire returned to normal, well as 'normal' as any DJI software update goes - the aircraft refused to go into travel mode despite several attempts via the app and button on the transmitter. It was only when later after travelling home (some 30 miles away) did the Inspire agree to go into travel mode (first time asking) so I don't know if this was just a bug. Anyway the 'unlocking' experience seemed straight forward.
Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 22.09.20.pngIMG_8207.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah