Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Unscheduled landing

DJI needs to fix that! Highly unacceptable! RTH on dying cell, not drop the bird!
The LVC didn't cut in on this case.
Low voltage cut off on the Inspire packs does not kick in if one single cell goes low until around 2.89v on that particular cell. 3.5 v 3.71v shows an out of balance pack it would not be enough to bring the aircraft down and the pack certainly would close off with the lowest cell being above 3.5v.
There must be something else amis here that has not surfaced yet.

Low voltage cut off on the Inspire packs does not kick in if one single cell goes low until around 2.89v on that particular cell. 3.5 v 3.71v shows an out of balance pack it would not be enough to bring the aircraft down and the pack certainly would close off with the lowest cell being above 3.5v.

So much for us weekend warriors trying to figure it out :)

MacDyver so sorry about this from another south Florida guy (Miami) hopefully you can at least figure out what caused it and we could all learn something ...

Low voltage cut off on the Inspire packs does not kick in if one since cell goes low until around 2.89v on that particular cell. 3.5 v 3.71v shows an out of balance pack it would not be enough to bring the aircraft down and the pack certainly would close off with the lowest cell being above 3.5v.
Unseen bird strike maybe? And craft could not recover? I'm pretty perplexed at this point.

Reactions: Chris McCorkel

It was not a complete shutdown from what MacDyver stated. The motors were still spinning on power when it came down which makes me think that it lowered the power going to the motors, and I assume that the power was not enough to keep it in the air.

Unseen bird strike maybe? And craft could not recover? I'm pretty perplexed at this point.
Not sure, if you were not going through any violent/aggressive maneuvers at the time and you clearly did not lose power because your gimbal was trying to correct itself on the way down and you could hear the motors, my first guess would be prop loss.
Any reason you had prop guards on at over 300ft agl?

Reactions: slim.slamma
It was not a complete shutdown from what MacDyver stated. The motors were still spinning on power when it came down which makes me think that it lowered the power going to the motors, and I assume that the power was not enough to keep it in the air.
Wouldn't think so - 3.5v is nowhere depletion and the firmware only really limits throttle in cold environments when the pack is less than 15 degrees C.
With a warm pack after flying 5 minutes in FL there should be no issue at 3.5v on the lowest cell.
Something else I think caused this one......

Reactions: slim.slamma
Not sure, if you were not going through any violent/aggressive maneuvers at the time and you clearly did not lose power because your gimbal was trying to correct itself on the way down and you could hear the motors, my first guess would be prop loss.
Any reason you had prop guards on at over 300ft agl?
I was flying fast but was slowing down I was at 28% forward thrust when I first noticed trouble it seemed to flip several times and try to correct itself.
I always use prop guards, I have to takeoff and land and I use different colors fore and aft which assists me with craft orientation immediately.

Were all of the props or parts of the props still attached to the motors? After looking at the time of events it does appear that something went wrong other than voltage. This one is being directed to the proper folks to take a deeper look. I appreciate you letting me share it.

Were all of the props or parts of the props still attached to the motors? After looking at the time of events it does appear that something went wrong other than voltage. This one is being directed to the proper folks to take a deeper look. I appreciate you letting me share it.
Rofl, there was one red dot prop not destroyed nearly everything else shattered like glass, I'm sorry I don't have video it was sad but epic.

Take a close look at the third photo I took that before touching the drone, the battery is lying in the right upper quadrant of the photo you can see the surviving prom attached to the craft

Is it ironic I'm watching Mythbusters and they're MacGyvering all sorts of things with duct tape, hmmmm I wonder.....o_O

So i've been flying near my home all weekend, properly calibrated IMU, freshly charged battery, Fl 375 AGL, 11 mph winds in the air for about 5:00 and.....
Any suggestions before sending it off to DJI for analysis?
btw I had the Olympus 14-42 lens attached.
So sad for your loss. I lost mine l lost mine last week and I know the feeling. I lost a lot of confidence but am now flying 2 hours a day on exercises to get it back.

Reactions: MacDyver
Did DJI replace yours?
No.... I started it up last night and it works. I figure if I can get a few parts like arms and struts, I can use it for training. The camera will never see another scene again but its not a complete loss. Its better than turning off its life support. I have ordered another and a black one this time. I need the drone for work.

No.... I started it up last night and it works. I figure if I can get a few parts like arms and struts, I can use it for training. The camera will never see another scene again but its not a complete loss. Its better than turning off its life support. I have ordered another and a black one this time. I need the drone for work.
I have an X5 gimbal that may be repairable, there's a guy on this board that has a company in California. If you're willing to pay shipping
usdronerepair.com

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool