Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Update firmware or not?

Reaction score
Flying a friend's I1 tomorrow for an important job. Test flight today went well but the app is telling me to update everything. (He hasn't flown it since October). My experience tells me not to update before an important job when everything seems to be working fine, but I'm curious how the latest firmware is treating everyone. Anybody having any issues? What's the scoop?

Flying a friend's I1 tomorrow for an important job. Test flight today went well but the app is telling me to update everything. (He hasn't flown it since October). My experience tells me not to update before an important job when everything seems to be working fine, but I'm curious how the latest firmware is treating everyone. Anybody having any issues? What's the scoop?
I installed last update 12/22/2015 and have not had any issues, flew again today 25F and all went well.

My advice........Never, EVER update the day before an important job - EVER!

Although the current firmware is fine and stable you could run the risk of the update failing on your own machine.
Additionally, there maybe features or characteristics in the new firmware which you are not familiar with (like the cold temp protection in v1.6.0.40).
Do the job, then update, then familiarise yourself with the new FW.

I agree with the Editor so do not update before a job, you may be grounded. Updates are giving us stuff like battery updates to protect you in cold weather in which we do need. I could careless about the templates and other stuff not associated with the camera and flying. In fact the FAA is doing all they can to limit our ability to fly above 400 ft. which is the legal limit. In the last update they took away the slider that disengages the altitude limit set point and DJI set the Max set point at 500 meters. I now hear from a reputable source that the FAA will be mandating that DJI make the maximum set point 120 meters to prevent anyone from flying above 400 ft.

Last edited:
I installed last update 12/22/2015 and have not had any issues, flew again today 25F and all went well.
Have not flown since Dec. just tried to start up and I am getting the RC needs update, so I loaded the latest on SD card and tried to do update but the drone is not making any beeping sounds as before. Not sure what is up, and cannot get any connection between controller and drone.

I agree with the Editor so do not update before a job, you may be grounded. Updates are giving us stuff like battery updates to protect you in cold weather in which we do need. I could careless about the templates and other stuff not associated with the camera and flying. In fact the FAA is doing all they can to limit our ability to fly above 400 ft. which is the legal limit. In the last update they took away the slider that disengages the altitude limit set point and DJI set the Max set point at 500 meters. I now hear from a reputable source that the FAA will be mandating that DJI make the maximum set point 120 meters to prevent anyone from flying above 400 ft.

How does this work flying around mountains? Again compliance should not be forced but on as standard with option to override...

I currently have the following firmwares on my Inspire 1.
aircraft: 1.3.00.00+
controller: 1.4.30
X3 camera: 1.4.00.10+

Are there any known or reported issues with my original firmware? I'd like to keep it if all is good like my Phantom 3 advanced was before I updated to 1.6.40 and it was slower for cold weather protection.

Also, I've never updated dji go past 2.4.3 which I think is a good thing.

Have not flown since Dec. just tried to start up and I am getting the RC needs update, so I loaded the latest on SD card and tried to do update but the drone is not making any beeping sounds as before. Not sure what is up, and cannot get any connection between controller and drone.
Try deleting Go Ap and reloading. I had same issue after 1.5 update

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool