Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Upgrade Firmware or leave well enough alone?

I believe editor has told me IMU can be done indoors, as it does not rely on GPS. I always check for magnetic interference before calibrating IMU and compass. Compass does need to be done outdoors to ensure best GPS signal

And for what is worth, I flew about 20 flights last week with the new xxx.30 firmware with no related issues.

I believe editor has told me IMU can be done indoors, as it does not rely on GPS. I always check for magnetic interference before calibrating IMU and compass. Compass does need to be done outdoors to ensure best GPS signal

For the sake of accuracy, note that the compass is also independent of GPS. You don't need GPS to calibrate it.

However, because it's a magnetic compass, it is sensitive to magnetic things and metal, so you should do this away from those things. Outdoors is a good idea for that reason. But also, you should be away from cars, and away from cement parking surfaces that may have reinforcing bar embedded, and so on.

You can expect the cold battery warning when the internal temperature sensor indicates below 15C. This can also prevent the motors starting. Ideally the battery needs to pre-heated to >20C using the battery heater as you did. The heater can use 2-3% but will give an improved flight time.
I live in Queensland, Australia, and have never had to think about battery low temp. problems, but if it's now 15"C then that becomes an issue here in winter too. What is the battery heater you speak of, that uses 2-3%?? That sounds like it's an electric heater of some sort. Is that correct? I know of the little foam inserts that come with the units (although I've never used them) but just wondering if there's something else that heats the batteries.

I live in Queensland, Australia, and have never had to think about battery low temp. problems, but if it's now 15"C then that becomes an issue here in winter too. What is the battery heater you speak of, that uses 2-3%?? That sounds like it's an electric heater of some sort. Is that correct? I know of the little foam inserts that come with the units (although I've never used them) but just wondering if there's something else that heats the batteries.
The 15C warning annoys me, as it is often below that during the day in winter here on the far south coast of NSW. The specifications say 5C so I don't know why there is an alert at 15C. This is the first time I have had that warning in 12 months of flying, even though it has been colder. Something to do with 1.9.1.30?

I got the battery warmers in Australia from Camera Warehouse DJI Inspire 1 Battery Heater | Camera-Warehouse. Very small. Pop the battery in for 10mins, then put it in your pocket to 'soak'. I had a cold morning in Canberra last week, where the motors would not even start. Used these for less than 10 mins and I was in the air, no problems. I have two, so that the next battery is being prepped while I fly the first battery.

Yes, the battery is used to power the heater unit.

I don't use the foam. It is a bugger to get off again, so soon deteriorates. Furthermore, the batteries won't fit into the slots in the case while the foam is on.

Reactions: John Casey
The 15C warning annoys me, as it is often below that during the day in winter here on the far south coast of NSW. The specifications say 5C so I don't know why there is an alert at 15C. This is the first time I have had that warning in 12 months of flying, even though it has been colder. Something to do with 1.9.1.30?

I got the battery warmers in Australia from Camera Warehouse DJI Inspire 1 Battery Heater | Camera-Warehouse. Very small. Pop the battery in for 10mins, then put it in your pocket to 'soak'. I had a cold morning in Canberra last week, where the motors would not even start. Used these for less than 10 mins and I was in the air, no problems. I have two, so that the next battery is being prepped while I fly the first battery.
Thanks. I have not upgraded firmware since 1.6. Just got delayed and then started hearing reports that made me think I might be better to leave it alone while it's flying OK. So I'm wondering if the 15 degrees C applies to me, with 1.6 firmware. I'm thinking not, but not sure what version that came in on.

The 15C was introduced in FW 1.6 last winter (northern hemisphere) because of a number of reports of batteries failing in cold conditions. The LiPo battery chemistry is most efficient above 20C and the drain below 15C can be excessive. Hence, the warning and the advise to pre-heat batteries or keep them warm and insulated before use.

Thank you. If I could ask, what version are you currently running and how long have you been flying with it successfully?
I am running the newest release of 1.9 released on 7/7/16. Like I said I try to wait a week or 2 once first released but on this last update I did it right off the bat. I have had no issues. Ive never had any close calls or any thing to make my bird go down. Been flying 1 1/2years with inspire and no issues knock on wood.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela