Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

upgrade to X5 camera or buy complete Inspire Pro?

Reaction score
first post on this forum, hope you guys can comment on a question I have.

Have been flying my Inspire 1 for a year now, really enjoy flying the machine and the video-quality from the X3 camera is OK. For stills I´m still using a bigger multicopter with Nikon DSLR. Realise I´m not using that as much anymore, its so much more of a hassle to use the bigger multicopter. Still, I feel the X3 camera is severely lacking what comes to stills.

At first I thought I´d just get a X5 camera & mounting plate for my current Inspire. Then I started thinking about getting a complete Inspire Pro, I´d get another remote for dual-operator use, another battery & charger, a spare copter with some small updates to the motors etc. But at a price.

I´m sure there are others here who have had the same question? I guess my worry is that eventually something will wear out & break on the current Inspire. Would I be better off buying a complete Pro or save some money and get just the camera?

first post on this forum, hope you guys can comment on a question I have.

Have been flying my Inspire 1 for a year now, really enjoy flying the machine and the video-quality from the X3 camera is OK. For stills I´m still using a bigger multicopter with Nikon DSLR. Realise I´m not using that as much anymore, its so much more of a hassle to use the bigger multicopter. Still, I feel the X3 camera is severely lacking what comes to stills.

At first I thought I´d just get a X5 camera & mounting plate for my current Inspire. Then I started thinking about getting a complete Inspire Pro, I´d get another remote for dual-operator use, another battery & charger, a spare copter with some small updates to the motors etc. But at a price.

I´m sure there are others here who have had the same question? I guess my worry is that eventually something will wear out & break on the current Inspire. Would I be better off buying a complete Pro or save some money and get just the camera?

If you consider on getting the Inspire 1 Pro you have a few options.
1) used - B&H has recently received return ones that are in excellent condition and at a great cost saving
2) New - Between the online sales with both Amazon & here in the classified section I know you can find a great deal. (thats where I found my NIB Inspire 1 Pro).

Also keep in mind that if you decide to go with the Inspire 1 Pro you will receive an update to the T600 power during the next firmware release that will output more power. If i'm correct will be close to 1watt.

Nas,

also keep in mind that the pro has slightly stronger motors for the heavier lift and the X5R is even a bit heavier so considering flight times also with aux batteries mod there is not tooo much time you can spend airborn. - anyone, correct me if i am wrong -
and yes the newer ones have updated power for video feed transmition. t600 and the newer t601 which is apperantly the more powerful as yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the insights so far! Was not aware of the video link upgrades. I´ve not felt limited with range I have now, but more is always welcome. On the other hand, the legislation where I live only allows for 25mW on the 5,8 Ghz unlicensed spectrum, so thats also a bit of a concern.

Buying used is not an option for now, live in Europe so B&H/Amazon is not an option (forgot to say). My main worry is the longevity of my current Inspire, how many hours of flight time is the expected "life-span" of these machines? Im aware of the steps in the maintenance manual and based on that I dont see a reason for concern.
http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/inspire_1/en/Inspire_1_Maintenance_ManualV1.0_en.pdf

If I was you I'd wait until a month or so after the pro RAW is released as they may decide to change the aircraft again to handle it a T602 perhaps.

+1

If you can wait a bit longer the X5R model will be the latest Inspire update. Not to mention the ability to capture RAW DNG sequences.

I'm going to buy a brand new I1pro... just sold the "old" Inspire 1... there's an interesting "bundle" package on the DJI website for the dual operator + accessories version

I am a loner here and went with upgrading. It was very easy and am happy! Also, bought an OSMO so now the X3 is a secondary land based camera. Two things I considered, first one is the wave of technology - every 6 months a new generation drone comes out, guys will buy the pro and then a Inspire 2 will come out with collision avoidance and more flight time or something more exotic. I am beginning to remember how I kept going through computers )still do) so I will wait for the next rev and tech breakthrough. Secondly, I bought a P3 Pro with the saved money so for now it is my backup. More importantly I refused to bend to FAA pilots license and the time and cost required (have no problem with ground rule test and education needed for safe flight). Now however I see the government is going to lax the 333 for smaller platforms (like the P3) so I will be able to commence business operations and satisfy clients who have been waiting for me to go live. Using the small platform for businesses that do not require top end video are fine for the P3 and as such the market will have to adjust to how much cost will be charged for a job. I see the little guys driving the cost down (fine for me). Also, did not need 4 controller's vs. 2 and range/increase in xmission can be achieved in current upgrades.
When the technology expands, I will jump forward but for now I feel I am in good shape. One more point is investment loss, the Inspire 1 is expensive and the P3 I will use in tight quarters.
Sure is a great time to be alive!

Reactions: Daniel Abdallah
I just upgraded the camera. Flight dynamics are pretty much the same, so I'm not sure how much is lost by having the less powerful motors. I don't fly it like a bat out of hell, though.

Reactions: Koptervision
thanks guys. Still havent decided which way to go, just want to let you know that I appreciate the input!

I went for whole new system, and resold the old inspire. Think moving forward I will do that ever 8-12 months, but our craft get a lot of heavy commercial use. Need them to be reliable.

Reactions: SanCap
After a lot of back and forth I decided to buy "just" the X5. Partly due to me wanting the Olympus 12mm as the main lens, I would not had much use for the included 15mm. Will probably mount the camera on the Inspire tonight.

Got the X5 and the Olympus 12mm. Works really well, image quality almost on the same level as my bigger hexa running a Sony NEX 7 / Nikon D3200. Not quite the same, but pretty close, and in a much smaller and more user friendly package. Love it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk