Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

Upgrading to X5 from Inspire V1

Discussion in 'Zenmuse X5' started by andrenutini, Jun 7, 2016.

1. andrenutini

I've seen some posts about upgrading to the X5 with mixed results but they're all quite old. I'm wondering what people's experience or recommendations are for upgrading from and Inspire V1 to the X5. I'm not the most familiar with the forums so forgive me if this is a lame question.

I undertand I might have slightly shorter fly times due to motor power/effeciency difference between the V1 and V2 but is there any major problems I need to think of besides the new mounting plate etc (and updating firmware)? Thinking the DJI 15mm and Olympus 45mm rather than the Olympus 12mm since the X5 without lens isn't currently in stock on B&H right now.

2. rilot

No issues at all.
    Buy X5, install mounting plate, attach X5, upgrade to Inspire Pro firmware, IMU calibration, fly.

Kenneth Sands likes this.
  3. SanCap

I would check to see if Ralph at FlyHighUsa has the camera/no lens in stock. I am pretty sure he has the lenses also. He is a trusted vendor here.

4. unyks

Did the upgrade (from V2) to X5 a few days ago, no issues, worked like charm. Follow the instructions on how to upgrade the firmware!

Chris

5. Cyclops

Well as others have just pointed out it's really not too difficult. Mechanically it's very straightforward but checking which firmware to upgrade to requires a bit more concentration and research.

However be prepared for a very different flying experience as the increased weight and position of the X5 camera definitely altered the way my Inspire 1 flew. For me the Inspire Vers 1 flys a lot better with the X3 camera. However, the dramatic improvement in image quality makes it all worthwhile.

If you can try and wait to get hold of the Olympus 12mm. From all the posts on this forum it seems to come out on top. I've found it a lovely little lens and have just bought a set of Tiffin 46mm ND Filters to use on extra bright days.

6. mfinn1223

Great upgrade, we just did it ourselves a few months ago. You will loose some flight time (down to 11 min on the 47 batteries) but the picture quality is amazing. We primarily use it for still photographs and the quality is amazing (leaps and bounds above the x3). If you are looking for the camera w/o lens, Zach over at Drone-Works.com has them in stock and is great to work with. Tell him the Mike from Annapolis sent you over to him...he gave us a nice deal on ours w/ the mounting hardware and riser kit.

7. multifoto.fi

Have an Inspire V1 with X3 and added X5 with Olympus 12mm. Shorter flight times (ca -4min) & noticably heavier copter to fly, motors & batteries run a bit warmer but not much. Requires more effort to get good quality due to more things to keep track of (aperture, focus etc). Considerable improvment in still quality, not so much on video. Actually still use the X3 for video most of the time, it is sufficient for what I do, flight times are longer, and easier to use. Also, the X5 with Olympus 12mm creates a lot of barrel distortion on video. Dislike the X5 memory card slot, difficult to eject the microSD & easy to loose the card in the field.

Overall, well worth it & would recommend it as long as you plan to keep the X3 as well.

8. ianwood

I've flown both V1 and V2 with the X5 and they are not that different.

9. Brandon Rowe

I have only flown with the v1 and it does great with the x5.