Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA-Georgia Legislation: Update-HB 779 Vetoed!

Reaction score
Well, I thought Georgia would be one of the last places I'd see something like this.

Georgia HB 779
Crimes and offenses; regulate use of unmanned aircraft systems and images; provisions

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/en-US/Display/20152016/HB/779

Read the below .pdf for the full version:

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/20152016/154750.pdf

Basically no more photography and need landowner permission to fly as a hobbyist. Allows for (some) limited commercial UAS operations.

Draconian.

Hat tip-TalonSix

Basically it still allows for commercial use over a property with the owners permission. Assuming that in a commercial context we are working on filming a client's own property there is no issue for this kind of business. Even if such a law were to come into play where I live, it would have very little impact on my operations. I agree that it kills most hobbyist use altogether.

I doubt this is the end of this though -- this will be a jurisdictional fight between the state (many states) and the FAA, whose authority supersedes the state's.

Been a bit busy to post this, but figured we could all use some positive news.

Georgia HB 779 vetoed.
Thank you Gov. Deal.
Deal issues 2016 veto statements | Governor Nathan Deal Office of the Governor

-------------------------------------------------------
Veto Number 8

HB 779 involves the use of unmanned aircraft technology or "drones" which raises a unique concern requiring careful research. I am appreciative of the author of HB 779, the House study committee, and the Georgia Technology Research Institute for their tireless work on this matter and for realizing the impact this aircraft has on the future of our state. I also understand the importance of continuing to study the use of drones and encourage our universities and technical colleges to offer classes and instruction on this new scientific technology and I encourage state agencies to utilize drone technology where it can provide cost savings and improve safety for Georgians—all while following proper FAA regulations. However, I believe that Georgia should first allow the Federal Aviation Authority (FAA) to complete their efforts in creating federal rules and regulations for the use of drones. Signing this bill prior to the release of the FAA guidelines would create a layer of state regulation that may be vitiated by future FAA action and would also grow state government by creating a wholly new quasi-legislative body to produce future rules and regulations. Such layers of potentially inconsistent rules could create a climate contrary to what the business community, the science and technology community, and legislative leaders sought to create by drafting this legislation. In addition, I would urge local governments to refrain from enacting ordinances that would regulate drone activity until the FAA has acted as well. In the interim, I plan by executive order, to establish a commission to propose state-level guidelines until the new FAA regulations are released. For these reasons, I VETO HB 779.

I think a lot of the ad hoc rules and laws imposed by state and local governments will be reversed as this one was. We're still in the knee jerk phase of reaction and over reaction to drones but I think we're also nearing the tipping point where sanity begins to emerge. At least I hope so...

Brian

Reactions: SixtyMike
I just started my UAS business in Georgia. At least the Governor has the common sense to veto senseless legislation. Sadly I will add a local, county and state surcharge for all services to government agencies. As a business, it's my way taxing them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverBaez