Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Using a generator to charge in the field

Nice pano.
how is dronepano working? Last I read on it it had some bugs and missed shots.
I made a few panos manually with Kolor and about 120 photos taken, the results are almost perfect. but it takes an especially long time with that many photos
It was taken back in October without a problem and did a few since but nothing really recent. It was a dream to use and only 20 shots. It now offers a choice of panning the gimbal or the aircraft avoiding getting the backside of the I1 in the upward shots. I'm not sure what the problem was but I did hear of it. Too many storms here, been grounded for a while now.

Im using the same make but the 1500w version. A leisure battery is around £80 but unlike a czr bsttery doesn't mind being run down. The volt sensitive relay means I never need to worry about charging it as its done by the alternator yet still keeping the vehicle battery topped up without any risk. You could do it with just charging the leisure battery manually but its a pain to remember.

This is the relay kit I got a while back http://www.altecautomotive.co.uk/14...-brvoltage-sensingbr-altec-m-power-2809-p.asp

Im using the same make but the 1500w version. A leisure battery is around £80 but unlike a czr bsttery doesn't mind being run down. The volt sensitive relay means I never need to worry about charging it as its done by the alternator yet still keeping the vehicle battery topped up without any risk. You could do it with just charging the leisure battery manually but its a pain to remember.

This is the relay kit I got a while back 140 Amp 12 Volt Split charge relay Voltage Sensing ALTEC M-POWER
I want to use something that doesn't require being attached to the car in any way so I can use it out in the field

Yes you can but you said you didn't want it attached to the car. I'm confused...which is not hard. To charge you would be keeping your engine running for a long time. Fuel is cheap now but not that cheap yet!
Yes sorry I was thinking out loud and your right leaving the car running for an hour isn't ideal. Can a leisure battery be charged via the mains at home then put in the boot of the car and then add one of those inverters to it to plug into?

Yes sorry I was thinking out loud and your right leaving the car running for an hour isn't ideal. Can a leisure battery be charged via the mains at home then put in the boot of the car and then add one of those inverters to it to plug into?
Yes, that's what I did before I became more lazy than usual and bought the voltage relay.

Also bear in mind that leaving the engine of your car running for long periods of time, especially in hot weather, can seriously damage the engine. In the hot weather you risk a blown head gasket and or warped head if the engine gets too hot.

if you are planning to use the system a lot then I would wire it like IRISH showed....... if you arent planning to use it a lot, and its just for an inspire, I would consider investing my money in more batteries and charge at home not in the field.

6 TB48's + SPC4500 for charging. I can fly for hours and hours.

I'm not sure exactly how long my generator runs on a full tank, I'm guessing ~10 hours in 'eco mode'.

I am using the same setup so that I can cycle through the 6 batteries. By the time you use 1 up there is another fully charged.
have just purchased a "Smart PowerCharge" quad charger to streamline the process.

POWERCHARGE - HOME PAGE

The beauty is that it;
auto shuts off your batteries when fully charged
monitors your deep charges
charges your RC's
charges your Ipads, phones etc.
while keeping your cabling down to one power cord to your electrical supply.
If you're able, and feel the need it's only 500.00 $

My need is that I live in a remote part of Nothern Canada . . . not many wall outlets available here ;-/

Cheers !

I ordered my I1 Pro and 5 TB48 batteries yesterday and also ordered the SPC4500 at the same time. Now I have to decide on a generator...

Brian

I have had very good luck with the Ryobi generator mentioned previously. Shot from past summer at the family ranch.
Ranch - ATV & Quads - NF

This is the relay kit I got a while back 140 Amp 12 Volt Split charge relay Voltage Sensing ALTEC M-POWER

Sorry to bump this but im looking at setting up a similar system in my car, the generator is too bulky and too noisey for many shoots so this would be much better to use. That kit looks brilliant and I will order one in a bit, but the inverter you use seems really cheap which I am assuming is modified sign wave, I thought the SPC4500 needed a pure sign wave inverter. I was thinking a 1000w pure sign wave would be sufficient to use.

I am sure it's fine. I don't use the charging device you mentioned

Oh sorry, my mistake I thought you were using the spc4500 charger on the inverter you fitted. Leisure battery, that split charging kit and an inverter really does make sense to use in the field. Ill look forard to fitting this, will be like the old days for me wiring and fitting amps and subs in the boot of a car, haha.

Oh sorry, my mistake I thought you were using the spc4500 charger on the inverter you fitted. Leisure battery, that split charging kit and an inverter really does make sense to use in the field. Ill look forard to fitting this, will be like the old days for me wiring and fitting amps and subs in the boot of a car, haha.

It's something I really want to do to use with my SPC4500 but have no idea what to order or how to
Install it

Richard, see my post #23 for the link. It comes with instructions if you buy the kit.

Thank you but even if i purchased the kit I still wouldn't know what to do with it despite instructions as I'm useless with mechanics/electrics. Does this fit any vehicle??

Thank you but even if i purchased the kit I still wouldn't know what to do with it despite instructions as I'm useless with mechanics/electrics. Does this fit any vehicle??
Yes it does. It just attaches to the + battery terminal. The only awkward bit is stringing in the heavy cable from the engine compartment to where your battery is, usually in the boot/trunk.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clubthirteen