Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

Using MacBook Pro as LCD monitor via RC hdmi in mini display port!

Discussion in 'Inspire 1 Help' started by Freerider, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Freerider

hi all,

Can anyone enlighten me to wether or not I can use the hdmi output on inspire RC to my MacBook Pro (as an external monitor) via the mini display port. I want to be able to have an SME (surveyer) view the footage while I fly the drone.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Mani

Unfortunately, you can't. The thunderbolt/mini display port on Macbook Pro, iMac etc it's only meant to send video signal, not to receive. As far as I know, the only Apple device that support incoming video signal through Thunderbolt/mini display is Apple Cinema / Thunderbolt display.

3. Mani

If you're Macbook is not equipped with Thunderbolt, and it's an older model with mini display port This might work, but I am not sure, you have to ask the manufactureur on their website : XD - iMac 27-inch to HDTV Converter
    It definitely does not work with new Apple computers, equipped with Thunderbolt Port.

4. Freerider

Hi,

Thanks for that info. I've been looking at the new macbook pro, it had a HDMI socket, do you think that will be output only?

5. Freerider

Hi thanks again,

My macbook pro does have a thunderbolt socket! looks like I'll be looking for a suitable HD monitor then?

6. Mazz

Mazz Moderator
    Staff Member

These are always output only. I bought an Alienware laptop a few years ago with an HDMI in and an HDMI out. Haven't been able to find a decent laptop with one since. I have a new MacBook Pro as well and no joy.

7. padrino

You'll need to use something like the Blackmagic Intensity or HD PVR, or another capture device to display HDMI live on your Macbook Pro...

8. Talon Six

It may be easier to just purchase a portable HDMI field monitor for your clients to view footage. I also FPV race, so I have a RangeVideo White Dwarf 7" monitor that I use for other to view what I'm seeing view while I'm flying. There are a number of other options available on B&H and Adorama.

9. The Editor

The Editor Moderator
    Staff Member