Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Value Proposition of an I2 compared to a P4P

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Just wanted to drop in and ask a couple of quick questions.

I'm looking at acquiring either a P4P or an I2 (probably with an X4S), and I wanted to ask opinions about the value of each drone.

I'm told (and I don't know if this is accurate or not) that the P4P has a camera that is completely equivalent to the X4S. If that is the case, what is it about the I2 that makes it worth more than twice as much (besides looking really cool and professional, moreso than the lovable flying marshmallow that is the phantom :p )

So, correct me if I'm wrong, by all means. But if I'm correct, then: for semi-professional use, is the I2 + X4S worth it over the P4P?

Thank you all in advance for the advice!

Just one point: You won't get any props or corners of landing gear in your shots...

This is an underrated value of the Inspire design. Was watching a vlog review the p4 pro, and within 10 seconds of getting it the air, there's props in the frame. This is from someone who claimed to have the p4 and p3 before, so should have been familiar with the angle needed on the camera to eliminate the props.

I'm looking at acquiring either a P4P or an I2 (probably with an X4S), and I wanted to ask opinions about the value of each drone.

I'm told (and I don't know if this is accurate or not) that the P4P has a camera that is completely equivalent to the X4S. If that is the case, what is it about the I2 that makes it worth more than twice as much (besides looking really cool and professional, moreso than the lovable flying marshmallow that is the phantom :p )

So, correct me if I'm wrong, by all means. But if I'm correct, then: for semi-professional use, is the I2 + X4S worth it over the P4P?

So, the I2 with the X4S vs the P4P: yes, the camera is the same but, the I2 can carry the X5S the P4P is locked into a single platform so with the I2 you can upgrade. The landing gear issue as previously stated as well as ability to rotate the camera advantage to the I2. The I2 has FPV. After that, not much difference so, if the advantages of the I2 are big enough to offset a huge price difference then, go I2

I am upgrading from the P4P to the I2, and I did so for 2 main reasons. First, my wife and I always fight over who gets to fly the P4P, this way we both can with 2 operator mode. And second, I can't tell you how many times I have had really cool shots I've gotten only to have them ruined by getting props or landing gear in the shots. It drives me crazy!

I am upgrading from the P4P to the I2, and I did so for 2 main reasons. First, my wife and I always fight over who gets to fly the P4P, this way we both can with 2 operator mode. And second, I can't tell you how many times I have had really cool shots I've gotten only to have them ruined by getting props or landing gear in the shots. It drives me crazy!
I did the same...moved up from a P4P+ to the I2

Reactions: henrymerrilees
So the main benefit I'm seeing is that the I2 is a platform I can grow with, rather than being locked into what it is. And, of course, the landing gear keeps the props out of the shot. Sounds good.

Thanks everyone!

When I saw how fantastic its hover was compared to Phantom I know I made the right choice., and the redundancy I hope will eliminate all these fly away sad stories I have read about.

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

Hi Brandon R. Are you primarily looking to compare the camera functions (photos and / or video) or the flying differences? In the past week or so we spent several days doing flight comparisons, feature comparisons and image comparisons between many of the platforms (Inspire 1, Inspire 2, M600, P4 Pro). We have tons of footage to edit, but if you have a specific item you are most curious about, we can definitely weigh in on the differences. We did everything from hovering them in nearly 20mph winds to automated vehicle tracking shots to filming the back of a multi million dollar home - day and night footage.

I have also written some lengthy comparison points for another forum client who was debating the same copters you are considering. Happy to share that too. They cover everything from look / perception to future upgrades.

Reactions: KranMc
Hi Brandon R. Are you primarily looking to compare the camera functions (photos and / or video) or the flying differences? In the past week or so we spent several days doing flight comparisons, feature comparisons and image comparisons between many of the platforms (Inspire 1, Inspire 2, M600, P4 Pro). We have tons of footage to edit, but if you have a specific item you are most curious about, we can definitely weigh in on the differences. We did everything from hovering them in nearly 20mph winds to automated vehicle tracking shots to filming the back of a multi million dollar home - day and night footage.

I have also written some lengthy comparison points for another forum client who was debating the same copters you are considering. Happy to share that too. They cover everything from look / perception to future upgrades.

Well, both, honestly. I'd be interested in hearing your findings, for sure...

I've been going back and forth between the P4P and I2 all month. I don't have experience on quads much bigger than my nano blade and although I'm han solo on that little thing I know an I2 is a different story. I've passed my 107 and completed sUAV systems training at Cal Poly Tech but I don't have tons of time on DJI sticks.

Considered buying the P4P to be a training/stills/back up bird that I can fly with less anxiety at first, but throwing $2.5k down for a phantom that could be collecting dust in a season doesn't sit right. Also props and landing gears in shots would suck so bad.

Some of the I2 features seem to almost make it a safer bird for me but it know it's big and carrying 5k in camera gear onboard.

Interested in others opinions. Is the I2 too much for a hobbyist transitioning into the professional market if flown with precaution?

Reactions: NoTech64
I own a Phantom 4, Phantom 4 Pro, and Inspire 1/X5R combo.

It's easy to avoid getting the props/landing gear of the P4P in-shot once you learn which situations would cause them to enter the shot (generally high-speed manuvers with the camera pointing straight forward--not angled down at all). If you're trying to achieve cinematic footage, you're unlikely to be executing those sort of manuvers, so it's not a major issue, in my experience.

The P4P is a great drone to practice with. I find it much easier to travel with and operate as a single operator compared to the Inspire 1. The image quality is quite good, though for professional video work, I'd say the Inspire 1 would be more in demand. Just be aware that it really benefits from having dual operators.

The I2 is in theory a safer bird (dual battery redundancy), but no drone is entirely safe. I've had the battery malfunction on my Inspire 1 and had the drone fall out of the air while reporting 78% battery left. Fortunately, it was over water and DJI replaced it, and no-one was injured. Still, I feel much safer flying the P4P in the event that something goes wrong. The Inspire pretty much stays in the closet unless a client specifically requests it and is willing to pay for renting it. I'm actually trying to sell it at the moment, it doesn't see enough use.

Reactions: josephmatthew
That's another point when you or if you go to sell it you won't lose your *** quite as bad . It all depends on what you plan on doing. You can always upgrade with the I2

I have used all platforms of DJI products over the years including the new ones. I am on the Alta 6, p4p, i1 Pro with x5/x5r, Nothing beats a phantom bang for buck, the footage off of the p4p is just as quality as the x4s IMO, the phantom is also great for flying in tight spaces, compact for transport, travel and overall cost is cheaper in the event of a crash and in my experiences espically with new pilots its not if but when an accident will occur so always take safety precaution with flying. I would say the overall perks of the i2 would be camera, do you need the x5s? Maybe in the future... Do you want to add interchangeable lens to make your films more cinematic? Possibly ... Also once you increase your flying abilities/camera operation and film making you will want the ability to create complex dual operator shots? Yes.

You will want the inspire and it's additional capabilities in the future, but don't want to pay the insanely high cost now? Why not purchase a P4P use that until the kinks are ironed out of the i2 around march and then upgrade to an i2 and sell the p4p in the future. DJI stuff has a really good resell on eBay and craigslist.

I2 flies ten times smoother and quieter. Much more cinematic footage with the bigger drone. I used P4 for past 6 months and got I2 last week. Footage looks like its from helicopter. I have the X4s camera for now and the gimbal is a lot more robust and powerful than the P4.

Reactions: Ftolino

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nickolas74