Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Vantage Robotics - Snap Flying Camera

357154-1458.jpg

Not sure what's with the prop guards, are the stabilized with many thin wires?

Hey there - I'm a co-founder at Vantage and did the design on those prop guards. The prop guards are in fact stabilized with many thin wires as you say taddessi - 0.012" tempered high carbon steel wire to be precise. They form what is known as a tensegrity structure - basically a form in which all elements are primarily in tension or compression. As you might imagine, materials can be used most efficiently in this form, creating the strongest and most resilient structure for the lightest weight. A bike wheel is a prime example of these structures in use.

We spent over two years creating Snap and are quite excited to release it to the world. Please let us know if you have any more questions!

Reactions: turkminator
that is a priceyyeyyyyyyyyyyyyyy piece of drone.....almost the cost of the P3.....I would rather have a P3 with follow me...

The P3 can work for people who don't mind the lack of portability and safety issues. Specifically for the follow me shots, we found open blades on the P3 to be a challenge - we didn't feel comfortable having a product that could severely injure someone flying without a pilot.

Hey there - I'm a co-founder at Vantage and did the design on those prop guards. The prop guards are in fact stabilized with many thin wires as you say taddessi - 0.012" tempered high carbon steel wire to be precise. They form what is known as a tensegrity structure - basically a form in which all elements are primarily in tension or compression. As you might imagine, materials can be used most efficiently in this form, creating the strongest and most resilient structure for the lightest weight. A bike wheel is a prime example of these structures in use.

We spent over two years creating Snap and are quite excited to release it to the world. Please let us know if you have any more questions!

Hi Tobin, thanks for joining us, and congratulations for creating such an innovative product. Really impressive specs, and the future accesories like sensors, thrust and ground modules are definitely raising the bar in this industry. Hopefully I will be able to experience a Snap flight in the near future.
I was just curios, as I could not find the information on your website, what is the maximum operating distance of Snap, from pilot controller to aircraft at the moment, without range extender ?
Thanks.

Reactions: sirnikolas
Thanks Mani. Maximum range is 200 meters, although we quote 150 meters in the specs, as it gets much less reliable above that. Our experience is that we do almost all of our manual control flying within 50 meters and pre-programmed missions work better for going bigger (Snap can go out to over 1000 meters in pre-programmed missions).

Just so we can improve our website, were you unable to find the specs page or unable to find the range spec on the specs page? We want to make sure our website in really clear and try to fix whatever prevented you from seeing this.

Our experience with the blade guards is that they are fine for protecting the blades, but nearly useless for protecting people. Here's a good example ->

Thanks Mani. Maximum range is 200 meters, although we quote 150 meters in the specs, as it gets much less reliable above that. Our experience is that we do almost all of our manual control flying within 50 meters and pre-programmed missions work better for going bigger (Snap can go out to over 1000 meters in pre-programmed missions).

Just so we can improve our website, were you unable to find the specs page or unable to find the range spec on the specs page? We want to make sure our website in really clear and try to fix whatever prevented you from seeing this.

Tobin, I have to admit it was not easy to find the specs, faq page, as the menu is somehow hidden at the bottom of the page, and the main impression of the website is that more information is about to be added later.
However, once you click on that menu button, evertyhing is well organized and you can find all the needed information about this machine.
The only thing I could not find was range distance, I will check again to see if it was my mistake and the information was availbale from the start.
Thank you for your fast reply and I really hope you will achieve great success with Snap, it's really an innovative product and it deserves appreciation.
Good luck, looking forward to spring 2016 :)

that is a priceyyeyyyyyyyyyyyyyy piece of drone.....almost the cost of the P3.....I would rather have a P3 with follow me...

P3 is an amazing piece of technology, but that does not mean Snap can't be either considered a great product. I would not compared them, as this product is in many aspects different and unigue as design, features etc.
I recently did several filmings for the longest paddling tour in the world, Tour International Danubien, using my beloved Inspire and GH4/Ronin-M. Snap would have been a great companion in the cockpit of my kayak, there were several places, especcialy on the Danube Delta, close to the Black Sea, where it would have been really helpful. I think you should see Snap as an add-on to your aerial filming gear, not as a replacement. A different approach, time will tell if it would be succesful or not, according to specs and features I think they are on the right path.

we didn't feel comfortable having a product that could severely injure someone flying without a pilot.

A minus from me for this statement just because I dont believe you would take care if you could earn money with it. Sorry just doesnt sound honest so what should I think of the rest?

Anyway its a nice small drone but unreasonable phantasyprice is it really USD 915,- not USD 195,- ? Or is the camera so much better then anything else out there?

Surprisingly you can even carry the inspire very easy for hiking but not the P3, its not so much the size and they are all not really heavy its more about the legs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk