Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Velcro Hoodivisions not ideal for Inspire pilots

While we are not perfect and in rare occasions the wrong size shade has accidentally shipped, usually the reason for this misperception is because the shades taper towards the back of the iPad. For a more detailed explanation please read our previous post above.

To easily verify if you received the correct shade please measure the back edge of the shade.
A full size is 8.5 inches / 21.6 cm wide.
The mini is 6.5 inches / 16.5 cm wide
Steve - thanks for taking the time to post on this forum.
A couple of questions:
  • Would the iPad mini version fit an NVIDEA Shield? (Has this been tried?)
  • If not... are there any plans to market a similar product for the Shield at all?.... I think there would be a lot of interest.

Thanks

Reactions: Steve CEO
G'day blade strike. Which one do you have? I'm thinking of buying the magnetic one for my Air 2 but I'm concerned about the magnets interfering with the RC.
I'm tipping postage to Melbourne Australia will be expensive.

Correct, there's a bigger magnet in the ipad than in the hoodi.. This will not cause an issue.

A couple of questions:
  • If not... are there any plans to market a similar product for the Shield at all?.... I think there would be a lot of interest.

Thanks

A user on RCG stated that the Mini will work with the Shield.

A couple of questions:

Thanks
And thanks for the questions.

The PatHat Hybrid mini is successfully being used by a pilot with the NVIDIA.
He did some customizing using a shell case as he does want anything adhering to the Shield itself.
The shell case he used is very thick so he customized the mount clip.

It appears that the Hybrid mini should work fine without a case/modification but does require adhesion of thin velcro strips.
Please contact us here [email protected] and we will send you one to test if you would like.

He will probably be posting his results on the forum but here are some comments and pics he sent to us:

" I roll my tablets and never attach any adhesive products to them to keep them clean. My preferred method is to use a thin plastic rear shell on the tablet, then use Velcro on the back and wrap the tabs around the back and not onto the face of the tablets. This means that the Velcro hook tab is not being stuck to the nano surface, but on the backside of those side tabs.
The Mini is easy to get cheap, thin clear plastic rear shells on Amazon for $6 The Shield is more rare so I could only find a shell with flex cover and cut off the cover. This setup works perfect for the Mini with Mag Hoodie, clamps right into the Inspire TX with no mods. The Shield as it turns out, gains a little too much thickness which required me to make a small bracket for the top to hold that tablet better. It only took a few minutes to make from some 1 ¾” aluminum angle stock.
The real Plus with Hoodi Hoods compared to other brands is that the tablet controls and output connectors are all accessible since the hood is mainly on the face of the tablet, REALLY helpful!"
Shield6_resize.JPG Shield7_resize.JPG Shield8_resize.JPG Shield9_resize.JPG Shield11_resize.JPG Shield12_resize.JPG Shield15_resize.JPG Shield19_resize.JPG Shield16_resize.JPG

Reactions: blade strike
I just bought the Padhat Air Magnetic.
They're on back order 2 - 4 weeks and then upto 25 days to ship to Australia :(
Only $15 shipping. Gotta love that!
Can't wait!

Last edited:
I just bought the Padhat Air Magnetic.
They're on back order 2 - 4 weeks and then upto 25 days to ship to Australia :(
Only $15 shipping. Gotta love that!
Can't wait!

We are very conservative with our back order and shipping times as there are issues that are out of our control like the port strikes in Los Angeles for manufacturing materials, severe weather, etc. Ships are backed up for unloading through March at this point. Most receive their shades within 1-3 weeks. But we are very happy with the success and popularity of the new PadHat and thank users like you who have made it possible.

Also we have no control over international shipping costs, plus we have packing labor and shipping materials costs. Sometimes an order can get caught up in customs purgatory but we have no idea why and when. We do our best to provide the best service at the best price. In the US we offer free shipping.

Last edited:
We are very conservative with our back order and shipping times as there are issues that are out of our control like the port strikes in Los Angeles for manufacturing materials, severe weather, etc. Ships are backed up for unloading through March at this point. Most receive their shades within 1-3 weeks. But we are very happy with the success and popularity of the new PadHat and thank users like you who have made it possible.

Also we have no control over international shipping costs, plus we have packing labor and shipping materials costs. Sometimes an order can get caught up in customs purgatory but we have no idea why and when. We do our best to provide the best service at the best price. In the US we offer free shipping.

Shipping out of the USA sucks.. Some guy bought a s900 h3-3d 3d printer mount off of me.. It was $20 just to ship to Canada, I just refunded his money and told him sorry.

Shipping out of the USA sucks.. Some guy bought a s900 h3-3d 3d printer mount off of me.. It was $20 just to ship to Canada, I just refunded his money and told him sorry.
International shipping from everywhere is expensive. We ship to Canada for $7 and still absorb part of the cost. ;)

I bought the iPad mini version of the Pad Hat product. It's OK, but it really needs some refinement to be a professional tool. In practical use, the side tabs are just too weak to hold on in anything but the calmest operating environment. I know I can meticulously clean the screen in between each use, but I'm already juggling enough to be bothered with one more checklist item that shouldn't be on the list. And, after trying Steve CEO's suggestion of using some rubbing alcohol, the tabs were still not very secure. So, like others, I have resorted to using thinly torn strips of gaffers tape to hold them down. Not exactly elegant, but it works.

For me, the biggest issue that hinges on deal-breaker for me is the combination of the floppiness, angle and length of the hood fabric itself. I have to lean the iPad mini all the way back in its holder to get a view of the screen. Obviously, this is not the ideal angle of view that Apple had in mind when they built the tablet. Furthermore, this puts the iPad body directly touching properly placed antennas on the controller. If the fabric was 3/4 as long, it would work better, with the screen tilted more upright and in direct line of sight, away from antennas. The changed angle of the tablet would reduce the amount of light falling on the screen commensurately at most times of day.

One last beef - the fabric tends to puff outward around the sides. It's especially true if you're not reinforcing the not-very-sticky tabs. This lets in excess light, defeating the purpose of the hood in the first place.

So, more rigid material that is shorter on top, and stickier side tabs would all make this a better product. For me, the magnet connector is the best part of the whole design, which is ironic since Steve CEO said it's their biggest challenge to get right....

Good product, however not ideal for windy conditions. I have the magnet version of the Hoodi. Was thinking of installing velcro to my tablet on the rear side to make it more sturdy.

For me, the biggest issue that hinges on deal-breaker for me is the combination of the floppiness, angle and length of the hood fabric itself. I have to lean the iPad mini all the way back in its holder to get a view of the screen. Obviously, this is not the ideal angle of view that Apple had in mind when they built the tablet. Furthermore, this puts the iPad body directly touching properly placed antennas on the controller. If the fabric was 3/4 as long, it would work better, with the screen tilted more upright and in direct line of sight, away from antennas. The changed angle of the tablet would reduce the amount of light falling on the screen commensurately at most times of day.

Basically, I agree with everything you're saying, with one exception. The angle and length of the Hoodi is what makes it work to cut the glare on the screen and cut the light falling on the screen. If you change the angle and length it will not do what it was designed to do. With other devices, you have to hold the RC in such a way that the full sky is visible on the screen and the light shines down on the screen in its fullness. Thus rendering the hood worthless.

I agree that the iPad has to be titled back considerably to view. I've wondered if that (which causes the whole RC to be tilted back toward the ground, along with the antennas,too) causes any reduction in signal to the aircraft? So far I've not experienced any issues, but it's always in the back of my mind. Also, because of all this I have to hold the RC unit up closer in order to see the entire screen and not just the bottom edge.

Still, with all this taken into consideration, the Hoodi has proven to be (for me) the best option thus far out of other similar devices. The best solution, I think, would be to have screens that are considerably brighter in exterior lighting conditions. I can only imagine what they would cost!

Basically, I agree with everything you're saying, with one exception. The angle and length of the Hoodi is what makes it work to cut the glare on the screen and cut the light falling on the screen. If you change the angle and length it will not do what it was designed to do. With other devices, you have to hold the RC in such a way that the full sky is visible on the screen and the light shines down on the screen in its fullness. Thus rendering the hood worthless.

I agree that the iPad has to be titled back considerably to view. I've wondered if that (which causes the whole RC to be tilted back toward the ground, along with the antennas,too) causes any reduction in signal to the aircraft? So far I've not experienced any issues, but it's always in the back of my mind. Also, because of all this I have to hold the RC unit up closer in order to see the entire screen and not just the bottom edge.

Still, with all this taken into consideration, the Hoodi has proven to be (for me) the best option thus far out of other similar devices. The best solution, I think, would be to have screens that are considerably brighter in exterior lighting conditions. I can only imagine what they would cost!
Yep, the angle is required, they even explain this on the website. I agree the tabs are the weakest point. I have tried many solution and this is by far the best available.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool