Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Verifying Part 107 Operators

Here's something I don't see addressed here.

I work regularly with my state legislators when they are crafting legislation that deals with this industry. As such, I try to stay VERY much on top of things drone-wise.

I've discussed this very subject with my local FSDO on two occasions in the last three weeks or so.

Here is the official FAA stance:

They DO NOT want to hear from operators who are pissed that they know someone who if flying commercially without a 107 just because they are taken money out of your pocket.

However, and this is VERY important, if you have empirical evidence (the exact langue FSDO ASI use) that they are flying unsafe or reckless, they want to hear from you.

The FAA wants to keep the NAS safe. That is their mission. They, like every other federal agency, have limited funds available to them. As such, if you go around turning in illegal operators just because they underbid you, you are taking VALUABLE time and resources away from real issues.

And suppose you do report someone. The FAA is required to follow up all reports, no matter how juvenile the reporting party. When they have to play the role of playground monitor they are taken away from real issues like people flying near airports or over the highways.

Now spend some time thinking to yourself just how important it is to turn someone in just because their operation is an illegal one. Now, supposed you do that and something happens that actually requires FSDO ASI attention.

How would you feel then?

Last edited:
Maybe if the illegal operators would pay the fees to operate the drone the FAA would be better funded?

Maybe if the illegal operators would pay the fees to operate the drone the FAA would be better funded?

Which fee is that?

The $150 fee you pay to take the test goes to the testing center.

Also, let's put that $150/test in context.

The FAA's FY2016 budget request was $15.83 billion.

To give them even a 10% increase in funding over that, it would take $1.583 billion.

That would take over TEN MILLION tests.

Even a 1% increase in their funding level would take over a million tests.

You'd better get busy reporting if you're going to help them out... :)

I appreciate your guys' opinions but I don't think enforcing regulation will cause the FAA to implode. Also, my local FSDO has not discouraged me from my reports a single time, so I am not sure where Vic Moss got his info. I am sorry if it bothers you so much.

I appreciate your guys' opinions but I don't think enforcing regulation will cause the FAA to implode. Also, my local FSDO has not discouraged me from my reports a single time, so I am not sure where Vic Moss got his info. I am sorry if it bothers you so much.
I got my information from the manager of the DEN FSDO. It doesn't bother me, I really couldn't care much less.

And no one said the FAA would Implode. That's a silly statement. I'm simply saying if everyone would act like adults, this wouldn't be an issue. Accomplished operators will spend their time helping educate other operators, and building their business, instead of tattling on illegal operators. Nothing will come of it.

Did the person you talk to say what the FAA's stance in on enforcement? Mine did.

First offense: Education of alleged offender.

Second offense: Requirement of remedial training.

Third offense: Revocation of license or permit, and possible fines.

Do you know how many fines have been levied again illegal UAS operators? As last count, less than 20. Less than 20, in the entire history of UAS operations in the US.

Do you really think it will make a difference to turn someone in?

Reactions: jb.
I have already given examples of how it has made a difference. Not looking to get people fined. I understand we will never see eye to eye on this issue.

I have already given examples of how it has made a difference. Not looking to get people fined. I understand we will never see eye to eye on this issue.

You've given examples of how reporting them made you more money.

In the same post, you called people operating without a license "incredibly selfish."

So, you're willing to eat up an ASI's time following up on your tattle-tale report of an unlicensed operator... possibly taking their time away from investigating an actual safety problem that could result in loss of life or property... to make more money for yourself.

Pot, kettle, you know the story.

You're right Shanks, we won't see eye to eye.

Personally I'd rather (& do) spend my time educating other operators, both hobby and commercial. I spend a great deal of time learning this trade, and how to operate it legally and safely. I'm of the mind that education will turn someone into a friend, and I'd rather have that than worry about someone posting negative things about me. And I don't really even worry about negative things anyway. Anyone who is important to me knows me anyway.

It just seems to be the easiest way to live my life. I would assume that's the easiest way for everyone to live theirs.

But that's a personal choice.

I am very sorry but I have a hard time believing that reporting illegal drone operators will cause a deadly accident through a butterfly effect. I understand that this is a very controversial topic for some but I have spent far too much time following this and I leave you to continue with whatever ideas you feel are important.

I am very sorry but I have a hard time believing that reporting illegal drone operators will cause a deadly accident through a butterfly effect. I understand that this is a very controversial topic for some but I have spent far too much time following this and I leave you to continue with whatever ideas you feel are important.
My last post was going to be my final word, but I can't let your post lay.

No one is saying anything about catastrophic effects, but you keep going there. The FAA will not implode, and butterfly effect is pointless.

Pigeons and chess don't go together.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips