Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Video editing?

Sorry if this has already been covered but I am having frustration with editing 4K on a fairly new Dell business machine. Is there a thin free editor app that works well with 4K. I have tried the GoPro free app but it takes about 6 months to render video. The video comes out great but I requires a half day to edit a 5min video. Any advice?
Thats why we buy good equipment and software. Be prepared for 2 day render times with anything but. Nothing free is any good.

All the FCP editors I know moved to premiere when FCPX came out....

My company used to use Avid (we had 15 editors all on Avid).

I now use 20 various Freelancers around the country, and 4 use Avid, 15 use Premier and 1 uses FCPX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im surprised anyone in the pro business uses FCPX. Its just a toy and like most, I moved to Prem Pro CC after being on FCP7 for 18 years.

Im surprised anyone in the pro business uses FCPX. Its just a toy and like most, I moved to Prem Pro CC after being on FCP7 for 18 years.
I don't know about FCP7, but FCPX works fine for me. ... Maybe I'll grow up some day:). But seriously, it's good for getting your feet wet, without being too overwhelmed.

I don't know about FCP7, but FCPX works fine for me. ... Maybe I'll grow up some day:). But seriously, it's good for getting your feet wet, without being too overwhelmed.
I have no idea. I edit for a living and to us FCP people, it is just a toy... an updated iMovie. Its all you need though for the type of editing you are doing.

I have no idea. I edit for a living and to us FCP people, it is just a toy... an updated iMovie. Its all you need though for the type of editing you are doing.
I'm not doubting you. If editing was all I did for a living, I would certainly buy the best software. And I would really consider when I outgrow FCPX. Is it not a good learning tool, or stepping stone?.. I mean, a new pilot can fly a Cessna 172, but throw him behind a 737, and he's gonna be lost.

I'm not doubting you. If editing was all I did for a living, I would certainly buy the best software. And I would really consider when I outgrow FCPX. Is it not a good learning tool, or stepping stone?.. I mean, a new pilot can fly a Cessna 172, but throw him behind a 737, and he's gonna be lost.
All good. Its all you will need but its a different editing system. You are right though. Its not a program we use in the pro world. e.g. if I had an editor wanting g a job as an editor for me, I wouldn't be able to give them a job till they learnt a pro system. We all used FCP7 for years and most have moved to Premiere Pro now as Apple stopped catering for the pro market and went for the consumer market.
FCP was a 2k application and FCPX is a just a couple hundred dollars.
I stuck FCP7 out as long as I could but its old and hasn't kept up with technology so we moved. Pre pro is good and Im enjoying it but it has a funny way of doing some things.

Reactions: Highrpm955
Sorry if this has already been covered but I am having frustration with editing 4K on a fairly new Dell business machine. Is there a thin free editor app that works well with 4K. I have tried the GoPro free app but it takes about 6 months to render video. The video comes out great but I requires a half day to edit a 5min video. Any advice?

Sounds like a slow machine. I render 4k in about 45 seconds per 1 minute of video @ 422 pro res on an i7 4790k hackintosh (cost me less than 1k to build) :cool:.

Sounds like a slow machine. I render 4k in about 45 seconds per 1 minute of video @ 422 pro res on an i7 4790k hackintosh (cost me less than 1k to build) :cool:.

What's your spec? That's impressive speed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's your spec? That's impressive speed

I do have a mac mini, but it is super slow with an i5 so I built this one.

Motherboard: Asus Z97-A
CPU: i7-4790k
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB
Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 SC ACX 2.0 2GB GDDR5
Hard Drive: Sandisk 256 SSD

Thats why we buy good equipment and software. Be prepared for 2 day render times with anything but. Nothing free is any good.

Eh we use both windows and mac at our company to make sure we never run into formatting issues with supplied footage etc. There are ways around that of course but it is nice to have the flexibility. Avid runs just fine on both, each unit exhibits its own odd quirks. For example one of our Macs has on two separate occasions completely wiped exfat formatted hard drives on boot, forcing us to do exhaustive and incomplete data recovery procedures, whereas the windows units have never done this. With thousands of hours on each none of our editors have much of a preference either way. I like a Mac for getting around on and general interface, but I don't edit anything so not really the one to comment.

EDIT: meant to quote your other post

I just purchased a iMac 27" 5K retnia display with the following. I am still learning all the ins and out's and its a dream. I also added an additional 32GB of ram to the existing 8GB
    • 4.0GHz QC i7, TB up to 4.2GHz
    • 8GB 1867MHz DDR3L (2x4GB)
    • 1TB Flash Storage
    • AMD Radeon R9 M395X w/4GB
    • Final Cut Pro X

I just purchased a iMac 27" 5K retnia display with the following. I am still learning all the ins and out's and its a dream. I also added an additional 32GB of ram to the existing 8GB
    • 4.0GHz QC i7, TB up to 4.2GHz
    • 8GB 1867MHz DDR3L (2x4GB)
    • 1TB Flash Storage
    • AMD Radeon R9 M395X w/4GB
    • Final Cut Pro X

Nice. That processor should run up over 4.4. I have seen mine run up to 4.46 which has not been overclocked when it's heavily tasked. (If it is the 4790k)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla