Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Video in 4K vs. 1080P

Reaction score
I have been taking video with my Inspire at 4K, then, after editing, have typically exported at either 1080P or 720HD, depending on whether I'm posting on Vimeo or SmugMug. Would I be just as well off taking the video in 1080P. What are the advantages/disadvantages of taking the footage in 4K when I end up downsizing it in post-editing? I appreciate hearing opinions on the subject!

I am looking it this way.
footage I record today maybe gold or history 5 or 10 years from now.
By then 720 or 1080 will be like 480 today.
I like to get best quality I can so later down the road I can get most of it.
If you don't need it today, don't mean that you won't later...

Reactions: Kilrah
I am looking it this way.
footage I record today maybe gold or history 5 or 10 years from now.
By then 720 or 1080 will be like 480 today.
I like to get best quality I can so later down the road I can get most of it.
If you don't need it today, don't mean that you won't later...
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I would agree with SuperPete. You never know what the future will bring. My I1 flying was done to take video for creating Blu-Ray disks. Accordingly I only did 1920 by 1080 footage. I always said what is the point of 4K when I had no way of seeing it as I don't have a 4K TV. Recently I upgraded my computer monitor to a 3840 by 2160 screen. Now I wish I had more 4K video. I spend (too much) time simply watching and enjoying the superb resolution of my I1 footage, all now taken at 4K resolution.

Reactions: Kilrah and Maz
I would agree with SuperPete. You never know what the future will bring. My I1 flying was done to take video for creating Blu-Ray disks. Accordingly I only did 1920 by 1080 footage. I always said what is the point of 4K when I had no way of seeing it as I don't have a 4K TV. Recently I upgraded my computer monitor to a 3840 by 2160 screen. Now I wish I had more 4K video. I spend (too much) time simply watching and enjoying the superb resolution of my I1 footage, all now taken at 4K resolution.
You guys have convinced me that 4K is the way to go. Thanks!

Reactions: kcobello
additionally .. the quality that results from shooting in 4K then exporting to 1080p is superior to that which results from shooting in 1080p.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool