Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Video settings

Reaction score
Hi, I new to video, what settings are people using for smooth video? shutter speed, iso, 24p, 60p etc. ??

It all depends what your final delivery will be! It's all very well being able to shoot in 4k but DO YOU NEED 4k and the associated complications of workflow and overhead if all you are going to deliver on is web?
If your final product will be web then 30fps would be your best option. If you are mixing the footage with other 25fps then shoot at 25fps to avoid complications in matching frame rates.
If you are after smooth temporal motion then higher frame rates would be best but at the cost of less light hitting your sensor!

It all depends on what YOU want out of your footage and where it will finally end up - there is no easy, simple one catch all answer I'm afraid.

Reactions: Eliran
One the aspects that sold me most on the inspire was the premise of having manual controls to control exposure instead of leaving it for the sensor to automatically choose. However in reality I've found its something else to worry about when flying. It might just be that I'm new to flying and I'll eventually be comfortable enough to fly with manual settings but so far I'm just leaving it on 4k@24fps and leaving the settings on auto.

I haven't gotten a chance to really test the sensor but has anyone tried pushing the ISO to see where its limit should be? I know one of the times I did put it on manual ISO 1600 had way too much noise but haven't tried beyond that.

Hi thanks! Yea I guess it will be for the web or viewing on the laptop for now while I'm learning, I love still photography, so I understand ISO, aperture, shutter speed ect. but I get confused when 24fps 30fps 60fps comes into play, I guess from what your saying, I don't need 4k, if in good light use a higher fps setting with the lowest shutter speed possible, and adjust the ISO accordingly? Do you have any guidelines for me to start with?

I shot at 1080P at 60FPS today, and its IMPRESSIVE!!! 4K = not quite there yet unless you connect via HDMI to a 4K TV...

Although youtube compresses the video, and my original footage is WAY clearer, here is a short clip:

All camera settings where left on auto. No flicker like the Vision+, and its buttery smooth...def cinema pro quality. I love the thing!

24 FPS is the film standard. I use this in most videos I'm shooting for web because I like the feel of how the motion looks on it.
25/30 FPS is the standard for TV depending on what part of the world you're in. If I'm shooting something specifically that will be used in a TV commercial. Keep in mind these are mostly personal preferences and most people if shooting for web would just use whatever feels natural to them.
60 FPS can typically be used if at any point you want to slow down shots. Otherwise it doubles the feel of the motion. Keep in mind you also have to have more light for 60FPS.

On the inspire specifically if you're shooting at 24FPS@4k you're using a higher resolution of 4096 x 2160 which is real/cinematic 4K. If you're shooting at 30fps it will be at 3840 x 2160 which is the UHD "4K" standard which is meant for TV.

4K is more of a logistical headache because the file size is bigger than shooting in 1080p. Right now 4K is more of a gimmick than anything else when it comes to cameras and TVs, however, it does give you an added level of flexibility. Because each image is 4096 x 2160 if you're using a 1080p timeline or 720p timeline (which is still what modern broadcasting is at) you're only going to see a fraction of the higher resolution image. This means that you can go in and readjust the composition of the shot because you're only seeing a small percentage of the image. Its actually incredible useful in case you have something unwanted in your shot, such as a drone shadow (which is something I've totally never done and cut out by using a smaller resolution timeline... nope).

Although the inspire shoots photos in raw which coming from a still perspective is so incredibly valuable, if you leave the video resolution at 4K, each frame in the video essentially becomes its own still photo that you can export and use. It doesn't have the flexibility of raw obviously but it does give you way more options.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: gwhiz2k and Santosh
Should also point out that while everyone seems to love to upload their 4k vids to YouTube (which take a looong time to upload), only about 5% of viewers can actually see 4k. Only the newer Retina Macs, or people using YouTube on 4k smart TV's (very small base there). Not to mention that it's almost always going to be a problem with download speeds... Netflix already has issues streaming plain old HD (1080p) on my fast cable connection.

I absolutely agree with jonathnsmith above though, shooting in 4k gives you more options. Just kind of pointless uploading that 4k to YouTube for the small minority that can actually see it.

The Retina MacBooks can also be set to display UHD with a third party app. Definitely done that to watch some inspire footage. Right now the biggest problem facing 4K is that there's no infrastructure for it. Broadcasting hasn't even gotten to 1080p so being able for them to effectively broadcast 4K is a long way out. Netflix, and I believe Amazon, do have 4K options on some shows but most of the time the connections are too slow to use it. (Side note - Living in Chattanooga and have 1gpbs internet is awesome) Outside of Blu Ray I'm not really sure 4K will be a necessity within the next few years.

The Retina MacBooks can also be set to display UHD with a third party app. Definitely done that to watch some inspire footage. Right now the biggest problem facing 4K is that there's no infrastructure for it. Broadcasting hasn't even gotten to 1080p so being able for them to effectively broadcast 4K is a long way out. Netflix, and I believe Amazon, do have 4K options on some shows but most of the time the connections are too slow to use it. (Side note - Living in Chattanooga and have 1gpbs internet is awesome) Outside of Blu Ray I'm not really sure 4K will be a necessity within the next few years.

I will not comment any more on my views as to how pointless 4k is for the consumer as I have posted elsewhere on this subject but one thing you sould bear in mind looking at your comment above and that is...4K is not even in the Blu-Ray spec! In fact 1080 in 50p or 60p isn't even within BD spec.

Although Panasonic have recently showcased a machine that will do 4K the specification has not been agreed or ratified in any way.

I'm not disputing in any way that its pointless for the consumer.

My apologies about blu ray, I was referencing the 4K blu ray update (that do have 50/60fps) that's coming this year. Outside of Netflix its on the only real option for playback.

I posted in two other places, then found this.
I recorded (apparently) in UHD, as it was the default set in the camera. I have not been able to view the files anywhere. They aren't corrupted, and were recorded as MP4 files.
I just want to see what was recorded. Lol. Suggestions?

What are you using to playback? Have you tried the program VLC? It will usually playback anything

I first put the SD card in my big screen tv. It has an SD reader that has always worked fine with 1080P videos. Couldn't play them.
My laptop runs Windows, so I just tried the Windows player. No go.
I have Power Director 12, and it read the file, but playback was real jerky. I believe if I went ahead and rendered it, I might have gotten something useable, but I didn't want to wait for rendering.

Is your TV 4K? If so because the resolution is higher it might not be able to down convert it to automatically play on your TV. 4K is more intensive than regular HD video (which in and of itself can be intensive). I have a fairly stacked MacBook pro but Premiere stutters on playing back 4K and I have to play it back at a lower quality. VLC should play it. If it doesn't that just means that your laptop is probably too slow.

Let me just say that I think 4k is awesome, I intend to shoot in it, upload it, and make videos in it exclusively.

I have a Sony 4k XBR65850 TV and FMP-X10 4k media player and I have downloaded original inspire 4k files from Vimeo and they look really really good on a 4k TV the size of a wall 6 feet away (my viewing distance).

Vimeo supports 4k uploads now and if you enable the option as the video poster, original 4k file downloads (forget streaming, too many artifacts). I for one will be enabling that option for my Inspire footage, so others can get the original files to enjoy and I'd encourage others to do the same.

It's going to be really awesome to go on vacation, for example, bring the Inspire (and handheld gimbal at some point), shoot everything in 4k, come home and create vacation videos all in glorious UHD 4k to enjoy with friends and family.

I don't think it's a gimmick at all. I was one of the early adopters of HDTV back when you needed OTA antennas and a special PC tuner card to receive the signals, and back then folks were saying the same thing about HD that folks are saying about UHD today: it's too much bandwidth, files are too big, you can't tell the difference from current media (DVD then), etc.

UHD 4K is here. Embrace it I say and enjoy.

Last edited:
Let me just say that I think 4k is awesome, I intend to shoot in it, upload it, and make videos in it exclusively.

I have a Sony 4k XBR65850 TV and FMP-X10 4k media player and I have downloaded original inspire 4k files from Vimeo and they look really really good on a 4k TV the size of a wall 6 feet away (my viewing distance).

Vimeo supports 4k uploads now and if you enable the option as the video poster, original 4k file downloads (forget streaming, too many artifacts). I for one will be enabling that option for my Inspire footage, so others can get the original files to enjoy and I'd encourage others to do the same.

It's going to be really awesome to go on vacation, for example, bring the Inspire (and handheld gimbal at some point), shoot everything in 4k, come home and create vacation videos all in glorious UHD 4k to enjoy with friends and family.

I don't think it's a gimmick at all. I was one of the early adopters of HDTV back when you needed OTA antennas and a special PC tuner card to receive the signals, and back then folks were saying the same thing about HD that folks are saying about UHD today: it's too much bandwidth, files are too big, you can't tell the difference from current media (DVD then), etc.

UHD 4K is here. Embrace it I say and enjoy.

Damon, do you shoot in the 25fps 4K mode or the 30fps "4K" mode on your Inspire and why? I can't really tell the difference between the frame rates in the end product.

Damon, do you shoot in the 25fps 4K mode or the 30fps "4K" mode on your Inspire and why? I can't really tell the difference between the frame rates in the end product.

30fps at UHD, yeah. I find it smoother for large screen display but it is just a personal preference.

Reactions: emtea

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry