Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Warm Battery

Reaction score
I'm a little concerned. One of my Inspire batteries is warm all of a sudden. Its companion batteries are all room temperature, but this one battery is now approaching 100 degrees. Maybe this is what it does to automatically discharge itself after 10 days of non use. Does anyone know, or should I take this to a battery disposal site before it bursts into flames?

Thanks!

IMG_0681.jpg

Long Story Short, the batteries do put out a warm discharge temp, but that's to the touch, I've never measured temperatures.. Hope this helps[emoji106]

Reactions: caj001
I'm a little concerned. One of my Inspire batteries is warm all of a sudden. Its companion batteries are all room temperature, but this one battery is now approaching 100 degrees. Maybe this is what it does to automatically discharge itself after 10 days of non use. Does anyone know, or should I take this to a battery disposal site before it bursts into flames?

Thanks!

View attachment 13132

2017-04-11 11.31.52.jpg You inspired me to take a look at my Batteries. All were charged less than 10 days ago, notice the hot spots where my hand was carrying them.

my batteries heat slightly when doing self discharge. At the battery exhaust port I've measured about 80 F when sitting in a 70 F room.

Wow, how nice to have Flir. Interesting to see.

One of my batteries "got warm...lol" also, no kidding, this is one of my Inspire 2 batteries. The batteries got submerged in water and two hours later this happened. I'm so glad I had it sitting on my patio to dry out instead of in the house somewhere.

As I was driving home I had it in a bag on my passenger floor in case something happened. I was not sure what might happen so I was being overcautious. If it had ignited in my car it would have been a problem even as I had it ready to grab and throw out the window. It might have burned through the bag and landed in the seat or my lap.

I'm thinking about getting a heavy metal box or old steel pot with a lid to carry in my car when flying so that if a battery gets wet or damaged I can prevent a fire while driving home. Maybe I'll go on Amazon and get one of those cool looking ammo boxes.

The other battery you see got submerged too, but it's been sitting on the patio for a week and is swollen and misshapen but has not ignited yet.

Bottom line, we all read warnings on lithium batteries when we receive them. Most of the time we just scan over them and carry on. The warnings say that if a battery shows any number of unusual signs that it should be properly disposed of. I'm going to heed that warning from now on. I now a little afraid to even have good batteries in house sitting on my wood desk to be honest.

To be fair, this was user error. This issue has nothing to do with defective DJI equipment. I want to be clear, I caused this.

IMG_1955.JPG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla