Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Warning! Do not install fw 1.9! Lost I1

Reaction score
After installing the 1.9 I tried to fly and when I turned it on, it said there was an ESC status error and it wouldn't turn the engines on. Asked me to restart the aircraft and if the problem persisted to contact DJI. After rebooting the I1 and rc for five or six time, everything seemed ok. And even rebooted a few more times to make sure the problem wouldn't happen again, and it didn't. Also I calibrated a couple of times just to make sure... Had 17 sats locked.
I decided to make a flight with caution in order to assess if everything was good. After a couple of minutes going up and down, back and forth further no issues. As I was stable at around 1.000 feet from me and 200 ft high the I1 went into a deadly spiral and at the DJI Go app a bunch of different red lights started to blink with different messages (where the status is). I couldn't read all of them as I was desperate to try to regaing control, but one of them was something regarding compass error, and sensors error or something like that, among others.
My I1 felt in the middle of a small river. I must say I am actually thankful for that, as there was some people near the margins.
I don't understand how DJI is such a terrible company and there is not a single time when they update their fw that a lot of people have issues. I just watched 2.000 dollars fall into the ground and I know that there is nothing I can do about it because in addition to their incompetence to deliver reliable software, they have the worst customer relations I've ever experienced.
I can't wait for GoPro's Karma drone. Hopefully an American company will do a better job in serving the community.

Sorry for your lose. Did you do an IMU, stick and compass calibration after the firmware update?

Yes. I've had the I1 since day 1 and always was very diligent when updating, flying, etc.
DJI has set me back for an additional 500 dollars for having to buy a new camera/gimbal after updating fw 1.4 bricked the original one. The drone market seriously need a worthy competitor. I'm sure that when anyone delivers a good / reliable platform with decent customer service, DJI will lose more clients.

I actually had a bad experience with my Inspire 1 raw the other day on 1.9 also. Gear locked down, ascending and descending on its own, and I also got a major compass error inflight which looks like what you got (it logged a flight error log). I flicked it straight into Atti and flew straight back.

I've rolled back my firmware to 1.8 until the sort out 1.9 properly. I always do a IMU calibration (when cold), stick calibration and compass call after every firmware update. My compass was fine before I took off (compass in 1400-1600 range, mod values 1.0), and when I landed after the major compass error, it was 1700-1700. No interference sources near take off zone either and flight was over water away from everything.

Have never had a problem with my inspires until this firmware update.

Yes, DJI has a long history of bugged FW, period. But your assumption that the failure is directly related to a recent FW upgrade is ... hmm, somehow confusing. Machines are getting broken, malfunctioning. Your's in particular had been in service for quite some time, i understand. Although your frustration is obvious (and we're always sorry for such losses), it's hard to blame the firmware and only the firmware for every unfortunate accident of any flying apparatus.

Reactions: Jimmer
Yes, DJI has a long history of bugged FW, period. But your assumption that the failure is directly related to a recent FW upgrade is ... hmm, somehow confusing. Machines are getting broken, malfunctioning. Your's in particular had been in service for quite some time, i understand. Although your frustration is obvious (and we're always sorry for such losses), it's hard to blame the firmware and only the firmware for every unfortunate accident of any flying apparatus.

Right. And your assumption that it was a human or "machine" error is more accurate than mine, the actual operator? You also make an even more bizarre assumption that my Inspire "has been in service for quite some time" just because I had a bricked gimbal also due to fw update, I assume?... Well, as you might've seen in my previous posts, this happened quite a few months and fws ago, and have had more than 100 flights after that with no issues. I've never had any issues with the aircraft whatsoever and never had to send the bird for maintenance.

While I thank you for your condolences, I am offended by your third assumption that I am such a proud prick that I decided to create a post with thousands of characters to excuse myself from an operator or "other mistake" error rather than an fw issue.I am quite experienced with drones (as experienced as it can be given the recent development of the gadget). Believe me, I've made every single fw update there is save one. I am the one who experienced the unfortunate image of watching a drone going down with conflicting messages after being stable and locked on for several satts.

The sole purpose of my post is to warn of other potential losses from other members of this community and to raise awareness for the lack of reliability of DJI fw developmemt rather than to comfort myself from losing a drone.

Last edited:
After installing the 1.9 I tried to fly and when I turned it on, it said there was an ESC status error and it wouldn't turn the engines on. Asked me to restart the aircraft and if the problem persisted to contact DJI. After rebooting the I1 and rc for five or six time, everything seemed ok. And even rebooted a few more times to make sure the problem wouldn't happen again, and it didn't. Also I calibrated a couple of times just to make sure... Had 17 sats locked.
I decided to make a flight with caution in order to assess if everything was good. After a couple of minutes going up and down, back and forth further no issues. As I was stable at around 1.000 feet from me and 200 ft high the I1 went into a deadly spiral and at the DJI Go app a bunch of different red lights started to blink with different messages (where the status is). I couldn't read all of them as I was desperate to try to regaing control, but one of them was something regarding compass error, and sensors error or something like that, among others.
My I1 felt in the middle of a small river. I must say I am actually thankful for that, as there was some people near the margins.
I don't understand how DJI is such a terrible company and there is not a single time when they update their fw that a lot of people have issues. I just watched 2.000 dollars fall into the ground and I know that there is nothing I can do about it because in addition to their incompetence to deliver reliable software, they have the worst customer relations I've ever experienced.
I can't wait for GoPro's Karma drone. Hopefully an American company will do a better job in serving the community.
Two things:
1) you say yourself that the message states "restart the aircraft and if the problem persisted to contact DJI". So instead of doing as the warning stated by calling DJI you keep rebooting the unit until you get lucky and it starts working. If its me, after 1st restart i am done flying for the day and i start thinking about causes which brings me to. . .
2) The forums (DJIs and IPs) have many posts about 1.9 issues so as soon as you saw any problem you should have stopped right there and either called DJI or downgraded to 1.8.

BTW if you had called DJI, they have an update to 1.9 that is not public which probably would have solved your problem.

Unless you are a total noob and a person who never watches forums, this incident is heavily user error (80 to 90%).

Two things:
1) you say yourself that the message states "restart the aircraft and if the problem persisted to contact DJI". So instead of doing as the warning stated by calling DJI you keep rebooting the unit until you get lucky and it starts working. If its me, after 1st restart i am done flying for the day and i start thinking about causes which brings me to. . .
2) The forums (DJIs and IPs) have many posts about 1.9 issues so as soon as you saw any problem you should have stopped right there and either called DJI or downgraded to 1.8.

BTW if you had called DJI, they have an update to 1.9 that is not public which probably would have solved your problem.

Unless you are a total noob and a person who never watches forums, this incident is heavily user error (80 to 90%).

So according to your logic, updating your drone with an officially released fw and/or not reading obsessively to forums is considered human error?

Unless you're very condescending or a lawyer to DJI, that's some more f*cked up assumptions.

From now on DJI should bring Warnings in their products that you should install their official fw at your own risk and be a frequent member of drone forums... Please.

Reactions: AngelAndres
So according to your logic, updating your drone with an officially released fw and/or not reading obsessively to forums is considered human error?

Unless you're very condescending or a lawyer to DJI, that's some more f*cked up assumptions.

From now on DJI should bring Warnings in their products that you should install their official fw at your own risk and be a frequent member of drone forums... Please.
You had an error message, you ignored it . . . user error.

You had an error message, you ignored it . . . user error.

"Asked me to restart the aircraft and if the problem persisted to contact DJI." The problem did not persist... At least the warning...

Anyhow... This is all pointless as none of this will neither get my drone back nor improve your critical thinking and reading comprehension abilities.

Two things:

"BTW if you had called DJI, they have an update to 1.9 that is not public" What he hell is that supposed to mean?

I agree with your statement that if the thing is telling you there's a problem you should heed the warning, however , that is far from removing responsibility off DJI for releasing a defective product. Now we are supposed to do an exhaustive web search before each and every flight?
You are way off base here.

I am recommending every one who asks me about a purchase to stay away from DJI. Too late for the rest of us...

Last edited:
"Asked me to restart the aircraft and if the problem persisted to contact DJI." The problem did not persist... At least the warning...

Anyhow... This is all pointless as none of this will neither get my drone back nor improve your critical thinking and reading comprehension abilities.
You said you had to restart the AC "5 or 6 times". You dont think that should have given you cause for concern? To me 1 or 2 times would qualify as persistent and I would have called DJI as the message indicated . If the brakes on your car weren't working and you tried them 5 or 6 times and they still didn't work and all of a sudden the 7th time your brakes started working you would just continue driving like nothing happened?

You said you had to restart the AC "5 or 6 times". You dont think that should have given you cause for concern? To me 1 or 2 times would qualify as persistent and I would have called DJI as the message indicated . If the brakes on your car weren't working and you tried them 5 or 6 times and they still didn't work and all of a sudden the 7th time your brakes started working you would just continue driving like nothing happened?

"If the brakes on your car weren't working and you tried them 5 or 6 times and they still didn't work and all of a sudden the 7th time your brakes started working you would just continue driving like nothing happened?"

If every time you took you car to the dealer there was a 1 in 3, or 1 in 100 chance it would steer you into a tree after leaving the shop, would you be satisfied?
Bottom line is that FW updates by the manufacturer should not be causing lost of control issues, period.

"BTW if you had called DJI, they have an update to 1.9 that is not public" What he hell is that supposed to mean?

I agree with your statement that if the thing is telling you there's a problem you should heed the warning, however , that is far from removing responsibility off DJI for releasing a defective product. Now we are supposed to do an exhaustive web search before each and every flight?
You are way off base here.

I am recommending every one who asks me about a purchase to stay away from DJI. Too late for the rest of us...
The technology from DJI is far from perfect. Their service also sucks. Two undeniable facts.

What do you think are the alternatives? Do you think any other company is putting out products that do as much and are more reliable?

I have come to terms with DJI shortcomings and if I want to continue to do Aerial work I see no really good alternatives to DJI. Case in point look at the new m600 and tell me that anyone can come close to the technology packed into that unit.

I read the forums regularly and I act on that information as I see fit. Otherwise what am i going to do? Quit flying?

Reactions: Donnie Frank
The technology from DJI is far from perfect. Their service also sucks. Two undeniable facts.

What do you think are the alternatives? Do you think any other company is putting out products that do as much and are more reliable?

I have come to terms with DJI shortcomings and if I want to continue to do Aerial work I see no really good alternatives to DJI. Case in point look at the new m600 and tell me that anyone can come close to the technology packed into that unit.

I read the forums regularly and I act on that information as I see fit. Otherwise what am i going to do? Quit flying?
I fly DJI in my business exclusively and am satisfied to date. Does that mean I am God's gift to piloting? No, it means I've been lucky. DJI should not be putting out defective FW updates. Period. Another thing, why so many **** updates so frequently? Is the product that effed up? Not from my experience or apparently yours; the **** things are reliable enough, leave the FW alone.

Reactions: Gerson Morelli
I fly DJI in my business exclusively and am satisfied to date. Does that mean I am God's gift to piloting? No, it means I've been lucky. DJI should not be putting out defective FW updates. Period. Another thing, why so many **** updates so frequently? Is the product that effed up? Not from my experience or apparently yours; the **** things are reliable enough, leave the FW alone.
Nobody is forcing you to update the firmware. There are many pilots on these forums who do not update their firmware. I am never an early adopter of new firmware. I check the forums and use common sense before updating anything.

My point about issues such as the thread starters is why log on to these forums and *****? It's not going to get you anywhere. Use the forums to educate yourself and fly safer. DJI is what it is. In my opinion they have created some pretty amazing, albeit somewhat flawed, products.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Nobody is forcing you to update the firmware. There are many pilots on these forums who do not update their firmware. I am never an early adopter of new firmware. I check the forums and use common sense before updating anything.

My point about issues such as the thread starters is why log on to these forums and *****? It's not going to get you anywhere. Use the forums to educate yourself and fly safer. DJI is what it is. In my opinion they have created some pretty amazing, albeit somewhat flawed, products.

"Nobody is forcing you to update the firmware." That is about the most ridiculous statement yet. I am experienced and now know better.
What about the newbies? Why doesn't DJI place a warning in big read letters on the download page: IF YOUR BIRD IS FLYING JUST FINE, STAY AWAY FROM THIS FW UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE A BETA TESTER. PS- WE ARE NOT REPLACING YOUR BIRD IF YOU CRASH.

The forum is for everyone and anyone to share their experiences (only the moderator gets to decide what is off topic) , not everyone is an expert. DJI has a responsibility to the consumer.

"Nobody is forcing you to update the firmware." That is about the most ridiculous statement yet. I am experienced and now know better.
What about the newbies? Why doesn't DJI place a warning in big read letters on the download page: IF YOUR BIRD IS FLYING JUST FINE, STAY AWAY FROM THIS FW UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE A BETA TESTER. PS- WE ARE NOT REPLACING YOUR BIRD IF YOU CRASH.

The forum is for everyone and anyone to share their experiences (only the moderator gets to decide what is off topic) , not everyone is an expert. DJI has a responsibility to the consumer.
You don't need to state in bold red letters for people to stay away from this firmware. People on these forums already know that there's problems with 1.9 since it's been reported shortly after it came out on this forum and on the DJI forum.

You don't need to state in bold red letters for people to stay away from this firmware. People on these forums already know that there's problems with 1.9 since it's been reported shortly after it came out on this forum and on the DJI forum.

You speak about this forum like it's the Bible and DJI informs consumers they must get their info. from non-company forums. Why are you so willing to be a DJI apologist? If this was a microwave oven you would not accept this level of incompetency.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont