Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Warning! Do not install fw 1.9! Lost I1

A bit off topic..... but what parachute do you use?
Not really off topic !

Dji and their fw release have had issues from day one. Dji need to get their **** together, how can you trust a company that can't get a fw upgrade right?

I use mayday with my own parachute setup.

You obviously had an ESC going bad

This one is on you.

Worth mentioning that I described the situation to DJI exactly how I posted in this thread. I did not omit any information including the ESC messages and the reboots until there was no warnings. I also sent the flight logs and all the files and forms they request to analyze the case.

So "obviously" you are part of the group of people that know better than me who was operating the device and DJI themselves that had all the input from the incident.

I am just tired of so many "experts" having "obvious" conclusions.

Reactions: AngelAndres
1.9.30 is out now and 1.9.10 appears to be removed from the website, but 1.8.40 is still there

The initial V1.9 issue is a Baro issue only and there have been no other reports of ESC errors because of it, this is not to say your bird did take the update properly and perhaps an issues in the update caused the ESC error.

The Point some are saying is people just seem to ignore errors then complain when bad things happen, if you get an ESC error after a FW update it's telling you something is not right, at this point the only safe option abort the flight completely, downgrade back to where you were and fully recalibrate and test in a known safe location.

I have seen so many instances of craft looses after IMU, compass and motor blocked/ESC errors, never ignore any error and if it's anything that keeps the craft in the air then stop and go back to the beginning.

I'm not saying the failure was the OP fault but the loss could have been prevented by following strict safety checks, I would bet it was either the FW did not take to that ESC or it was heading south anyway.

I'm glad DJI stepped up in this instance though.

The initial V1.9 issue is a Baro issue only and there have been no other reports of ESC errors because of it, this is not to say your bird did take the update properly and perhaps an issues in the update caused the ESC error.

The Point some are saying is people just seem to ignore errors then complain when bad things happen, if you get an ESC error after a FW update it's telling you something is not right, at this point the only safe option abort the flight completely, downgrade back to where you were and fully recalibrate and test in a known safe location.

I have seen so many instances of craft looses after IMU, compass and motor blocked/ESC errors, never ignore any error and if it's anything that keeps the craft in the air then stop and go back to the beginning.

I'm not saying the failure was the OP fault but the loss could have been prevented by following strict safety checks, I would bet it was either the FW did not take to that ESC or it was heading south anyway.

I'm glad DJI stepped up in this instance though.

That is a reasonable and fair point. Nonetheless, I did not completely ignore the warning, I actually complied to it. Could I've been more skeptical about it once it did not show anymore? Maybe.

However, none of this redeems DJI from releasing faulty updates. But I do appreciate DJI decision and support.

That is a reasonable and fair point. Nonetheless, I did not completely ignore the warning, I actually complied to it. Could I've been more skeptical about it once it did not show anymore? Maybe.

However, none of this redeems DJI from releasing faulty updates. But I do appreciate DJI decision and support.

Agreed absolutely and what's important is your sorted in the end :)

Reactions: Gerson Morelli
You obviously had an ESC going bad, and were warned a half a dozen times and chose to fly anyway. The crash characteristics you describe are hallmark of an ESC not responding properly. You should have contacted DJI, as you were instructed to by the aircraft.

This one's on you. Glad DJI took care of you, but heed the warnings in the future. These are very reliable aircraft, and I think that makes us become complacent with them and ignore the complexity of them and how many things have to 'work right' for it to fly. If it says somethings wrong, somethings probably wrong.

Though you tone is a little less than "friendly," I agree with your point. That's a lot of money in the sky - especially if one has the X5. If that were me, I would be on the phone with DJI after 2 reboots. Even then, assuming the error went away after 2 reboots, I would run through at least 2 batteries doing shakedown testing. Battery 1 would = 15 minutes of low-level hovering with landing gear deployed. Second battery would be a low, slow flight around a grassy park - again, with landing gear deployed. Surely one of those two flights would've shaken down that faulty ESC.

As a matter of habit, any of my built and/or modified drones are run through at least 6 shakedown flights.

And cue the FAA trolls.....NOW.

Everyone it's tired of theses dji firmwares
Yes we are. Hell of a way to support a product. My rule on FW now is to wait at least 6 months to let the unofficial beta testers work out all the bugs and then only upgrade if I need to. If the bird and camera are working fine, why mess with it?

Reactions: AeroVisionz
I was somewhat nervous about updating this 1.9 firmware based on a few threads about issues installing but went ahead anyway. The firmware update install was seamless and took all of five minutes. My test flight when on without a hitch. A few have talked about quirky things happening during flight after the update. I think that was a IMU calibration issue. I do a IMU calibration after every firmware update, thats become second nature to me. I got my Inspire 1 the first month they on the market and had my first incident (crash) on the very first flight. DJI picked up the tab but it was gone almost a month. During that time their were several other crashes related to IMU calibration, the common scenario was the drone would lift off and then accelerate forward fast and crash into something before you had a chance to attempt to control it.
DO A IMU CALIBRATION AFTER EVERY FIRMWARE UPDATE.

Still user error. You got a very serious message and rebooted 6 times before you got lucky and got it to work then flew it into the ground. If you had noted what any of the experienced pilots on this thread have been saying (dont ignore error messages) then you wouldnt have had all this hassle to send it back to DJI etc. As a matter of fact your message from DJI in quotes does not really ring true to me. Perhaps your ego has made you embellish the true interactions with DJI. Like the fact that you ignored those warnings.

Reactions: lake_flyer
Still user error. You got a very serious message and rebooted 6 times before you got lucky and got it to work then flew it into the ground. If you had noted what any of the experienced pilots on this thread have been saying (dont ignore error messages) then you wouldnt have had all this hassle to send it back to DJI etc. As a matter of fact your message from DJI in quotes does not really ring true to me. Perhaps your ego has made you embellish the true interactions with DJI. Like the fact that you ignored those warnings.

Hahahahhahhaha

You're a joke. I'm done arguing with you. I even considered sending a print screen, but why bother... I'd be glad to do so if anybody else doubts DJI's position about this case.

Your thought about someone making up a message from DJI just says a lot about how pathetic your thinking is. My time is a hell of a lot more imporant than my ego for me to be creating fake messages in quotes.

Reactions: Ward Paterson
BTW if you had called DJI, they have an update to 1.9 that is not public which probably would have solved your problem.

Unless you are a total noob and a person who never watches forums, this incident is heavily user error (80 to 90%).

Wait WTF? DJI go fk yourself..

Problem with DJI is that if they know there's a problem they do nothing about it. Same was for my Lipos on v1.7 FW where they would overdischarge after 90 days.

DJI almost burnt my house down. incompetent fkers

You're a joke. I'm done arguing with you. I even considered sending a print screen, but why bother... I'd be glad to do so if anybody else doubts DJI's position about this case.

You just make of it what you want. Exactly what politicians do all the time. And blame experienced, professional pilots, who take the time to analyse and assess the risk you have been taking, for hurting your ego. [Edit: removed FAA trolls] :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Do you honestly believe that DJI would have covered the damage if your I1 would have crashed down on a child?

You've just being treated with customer care goodwill, and you're a very lucky person. That doesn't mean you're not responsible for your action. Which was: AFTER getting a very serious ESC warning: reboot, reboot, reboot, reboot, reboot, reboot....oh wait, warning is suddenly gone, let's fly!

Sorry but undeniably the pilots decision, ergo pilot error. I can't make it any better for you.

However, if this crash would have resulted in a fatal accident no insurance company would ever pay out. They would blame you as the responsible pilot. As the FAA would. And DJI probably as well, no such thing as goodwill after a fatal accident. And you wouldn't stand a chance in court.

Anyway, glad for you that DJI will replace your crashed bird.
Please act responsible the next flights.
Learn your lessons after this 'wake up call'.

Last edited:
Reactions: gregdd
I too am glad that DJI agreed to replace your Inspire and did also note that they could not find the cause and did not blame it on the firmware update. I have used this update without problem and updated to 1.9.1.30 once that became available as well.

I am curious if you mentioned the ESC error message to DJI. It does seem to me that this was an ESC failure and I am wondering if DJI missed this or accepted this.

You just make of it what you want. Exactly what politicians do all the time. And blame experienced, professional pilots, which you call FAA trolls, who take the time to analyse and assess the risk you have been taking, for hurting your ego.

Do you honestly believe that DJI would have covered the damage if your I1 would have crashed down on a child?

You've just being treated with customer care goodwill, and you're a very lucky person. That doesn't mean you're not responsible for your action. Which was: AFTER getting a very serious ESC warning: reboot, reboot, reboot, reboot, reboot, reboot....oh wait, warning is suddenly gone, let's fly!

Sorry but undeniably the pilots decision, ergo pilot error. I can't make it any better for you.

However, if this crash would have resulted in a fatal accident no insurance company would ever pay out. They would blame you as the responsible pilot. As the FAA would. And DJI probably as well, no such thing as goodwill after a fatal accident. And you wouldn't stand a chance in court.

Anyway, glad for you that DJI will replace your crashed bird.
Please act responsible the next flights.
Learn your lessons after this 'wake up call'.

Not sure exactly what a "FAA troll" is. Nor I understand why crashing a drone has anything to do with ego.

I honestly believe that DJI would've replaced the drone no matter the outcome. I don't see the connection here. Thankfully nothing worse resulted from this crash.

Also I'm not governed by FAA rules.

Once again, I just did exactly what was told to me by the warning. Reboot.

I too am glad that DJI agreed to replace your Inspire and did also note that they could not find the cause and did not blame it on the firmware update. I have used this update without problem and updated to 1.9.1.30 once that became available as well.

I am curious if you mentioned the ESC error message to DJI. It does seem to me that this was an ESC failure and I am wondering if DJI missed this or accepted this.

As I mentioned before, the e-mail and forms that DJI requested me asked to described what happened. I literally copied and pasted what I wrote in the original message of this thread.

I'm sure there are DJI representatives that follow some of these forums, and it wouldn't be the smartest move to tell one story to them and one at a forum. It happened exactly how I described.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont