Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Weird noise....

I have not (yet) done any personally on the I1, but I have replaced too many others than I care to remember on many different multi rotor platforms.
There are all the same (so far) and I have seen an E800 motor stripped down and it is indeed a standard type brushless, dual bearing out runner motor :)

Good luck, take your time and let us know how you get on.
Will do Sir!.... think I'll stick with the stainless for now, the ceramics are the same price as a new motor.

Replacing the bearings on the inspire was a *****... period. They are pressed in so damned tight that we destroyed a motor trying to get one out. We fixed that Inspire by getting the E800 motor, fabricating a mount and using the old ESC. At 35 bucks a piece it is easier to quick change the motor than screw around with pressing the bearings out. Besides, a set of good quality fully ceramic bearings ended up at $80 not including my time and labor to change.

So what happened?
I'm looking for the follow up.
Did you replace the bearings, how did it go?

I had decided at the time to monitor the motor heat after each flight... turns out, the noise just went away. I've since put 20+ or so hours on it and everything has been fine. I will prob end up changing out the motors when the life cycle is due, kind of like what CaptainBadge did above^^^^^

I had decided at the time to monitor the motor heat after each flight... turns out, the noise just went away. I've since put 20+ or so hours on it and everything has been fine. I will prob end up changing out the motors when the life cycle is due, kind of like what CaptainBadge did above^^^^^
Just an FYI, changing the motors is not simple the first time if you plan on using the E800. We had to cnc adapters for the motors. We also soldered bullet connectors onto the esc so that we could change the motors quickly in the future. Now changing out the motor is 6 hex screws and 3 plugs.

Replacing the bearings on the inspire was a *****... period. They are pressed in so damned tight that we destroyed a motor trying to get one out. We fixed that Inspire by getting the E800 motor, fabricating a mount and using the old ESC. At 35 bucks a piece it is easier to quick change the motor than screw around with pressing the bearings out. Besides, a set of good quality fully ceramic bearings ended up at $80 not including my time and labor to change.

Thanks for the replies, is that the general consensus or do you know of others that had an easier time?
$80 for a set of ceramics, from where? (link plz I could only find boca hybrids for $15 each times 8 = $120)

I have a very slight high pitched whistle.
I have 412 flights.
I have read the stock bearings are crap, so why swap out the motor when the only bad piece that can wear out is the bearing?
Take 1 chit bearing out and replace it with the same chit bearing?

If the bearing swap went smoothly would you still recommend motor swap)?

It's funny how many threads I read this morning featuring The Editor and Others about how easy it is to swap out bearings, but then all the threads come to an end with-out any follow-ups?

I am a Master Mechanic with tech skills in almost all fields.
I have changed bearings in that past with ease, (as long as you don't wait so long as to let the bearings seize to the shafts).
I would feel MUCH better with a new set of ceramic bearings in my bird and I plan on doing it.

If I have time, and there is interest, I'll do a video tutorial, (since there are NO build threads, (if you will) on the replacement of I1 motor bearings).

Thanks for the replies, is that the general consensus or do you know of others that had an easier time?
$80 for a set of ceramics, from where? (link plz I could only find boca hybrids for $15 each times 8 = $120)

I have a very slight high pitched whistle.
I have 412 flights.
I have read the stock bearings are crap, so why swap out the motor when the only bad piece that can wear out is the bearing?
Take 1 chit bearing out and replace it with the same chit bearing?

If the bearing swap went smoothly would you still recommend motor swap)?

It's funny how many threads I read this morning featuring The Editor and Others about how easy it is to swap out bearings, but then all the threads come to an end with-out any follow-ups?

I am a Master Mechanic with tech skills in almost all fields.
I have changed bearings in that past with ease, (as long as you don't wait so long as to let the bearings seize to the shafts).
I would feel MUCH better with a new set of ceramic bearings in my bird and I plan on doing it.

If I have time, and there is interest, I'll do a video tutorial, (since there are NO build threads, (if you will) on the replacement of I1 motor bearings).
If I could swap the ceramics out easily I would certainly as the life span of the motors is really limitless. The bearings are the weakest link. I recommend you try and pop out the bearings on one motor BEFORE you spend the money on the bearings like I did. Perhaps your attempt will go a lot smoother than ours did but we used a bearing puller, heat, and the bearing broke apart in the motor before we were able to extract it, not to mention the crap soldering job on the motor end gave away almost instantly when we applied heat. (Think focused blown hot air, not torch although the torch came to mind after a few hours!)

If I could swap the ceramics out easily I would certainly as the life span of the motors is really limitless. The bearings are the weakest link. I recommend you try and pop out the bearings on one motor BEFORE you spend the money on the bearings like I did. Perhaps your attempt will go a lot smoother than ours did but we used a bearing puller, heat, and the bearing broke apart in the motor before we were able to extract it, not to mention the crap soldering job on the motor end gave away almost instantly when we applied heat. (Think focused blown hot air, not torch although the torch came to mind after a few hours!)

How was the removal of the other 3 bearings?
Was the bearing giving you problems the one that made noise/make you change it?
Was this one bearing an anomaly?
I have every tool x 3 plus many self made. I am an expert conquering anomalies, but if the bearing that would not come is the "rule" I may rethink my strategy.

can u please provide a link to the ceramic bearings you purchased?
(thx for all the replies/info, appreciate it)

2nd motor was no better. The top bearings always seemed to be much worse than the lower. We gave up after that and decided to try an alternate method.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84