Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

what is the best surface for a healthy inspire take off?

Reaction score
Hello everyone (who reads this)
im noob to the forum and the drone game actually.. just bought me a new inspire 1 pro and want to make a platform for it that i can take with me where ever i want to fly with it.. my own portable dronepad.

i saw some web pages selling mats.. but if i want to make my own take off platform what material i should use? what is the best surface type for a take of.. i'm aware of i have to stay away from transparent or highly reflective or monochrome materials and materials that can absorb sound waves..

or maybe just a plate of mdf with a kick azz logo on it works well?

any opinions? or maybe you can point me to a site where i can find and buy one?
thnk you

Hi Chathigh,

I've been thinking about this too, because I may be seeing a test run of an all-metal bulk carrier ship and would like to get some shot of it in the middle of the ocean. The concern is the metal on the ship would mess with the compass enough to mess up take-off'/landing?

I was thinking of using one of those foldable table (plastic table top w/ metal or wooden folding legs) for the helipad.

Would be interested to hear what others think or their experience on this issue.

Reactions: Chathigh
Hi Chathigh,

I've been thinking about this too, because I may be seeing a test run of an all-metal bulk carrier ship and would like to get some shot of it in the middle of the ocean. The concern is the metal on the ship would mess with the compass enough to mess up take-off'/landing?

I was thinking of using one of those foldable table (plastic table top w/ metal or wooden folding legs) for the helipad.

Would be interested to hear what others think or their experience on this issue.

yes i actually bought one folding stool from bauhaus the other day but need to apply a helipad on it ;) and i want to do it with the best material for my baby bird..

Reactions: Leo S
I have two different surfaces: a folding table to set up and assemble, and a platform for take offs and landings, levelling, calibrating, etc., the latter is actually not quite finished, but almost.

The folding table is aluminium and wood panel. I made the platform with wood and plastic (including plastic hinges, no metal), it's also foldable. I'll post some pictures when I finish it this week.

Reactions: Chathigh
An all metal ship will likely have a significant magnetic field around it. It will most likely only be noticeable within 50ft of it though. Looks like you got it covered. Nice shot.

An all metal ship will likely have a significant magnetic field around it. It will most likely only be noticeable within 50ft of it though. Looks like you got it covered. Nice shot.

Thanks man!

But in that video, I flew the drone from a concrete structure at the port. The next opportunity would be to actually board that ship when they test their engine (and other subsystems) and get some flyby shots and whatnot. So I would have to fly/land the drone from that ship. It would be simpler to just fly/land from that ship (if possible) than arrange a separate boat to do the shot.

ok guys i made this pad this morning.. i will test it asap. used a 0.8 mdf and painted in black ;) looks badass ;) init?image.jpeg

I have a pack of 4 heavy duty interlocking rubber gym mats - each is about 60cm x 60xm and weighs around 5kg. Cost about £25 from amazon.

I can get away with using just one, but if space allows all four make for a nice TOLP.

Reactions: Nigpd and Chathigh
I have a pack of 4 heavy duty interlocking rubber gym mats - each is about 60cm x 60xm and weighs around 5kg. Cost about £25 from amazon.

I can get away with using just one, but if space allows all four make for a nice TOLP.

Nice. Do you have a link by any chance, please?

Kneeling or bending over ain't so easy anymore so I use this: Sorry for the images size.

http://www.amazon.com/GCI-Outdoor-C...psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00
61zzhbgzrCL._SL1500_.jpg
61MOoHFfXML._SL1500_.jpg

I have been flying my Inspire 1 off oil rigs in the Caspian Sea lately with some hicups. They are all metal structures, so the compass is not reliable and I recalibrate. I test a number of spots around the rig until the bird is happy and then fly. It is difficult to find open space on rigs as real estate is at a premium. I make sure to have GPS lock, which I occasionally lose and it goes into atti mode. Once it is clear and in the air it holds quite well. I lost complete control a few times until I realized I was flying over 3 enormous generator sets. I assume that the magnetic fields from the gen sets were knocking out my control because as it left the gen set area, over the sea, I regained control. If the wind is low, I fly off the heli deck. Not for the faint hearted. :) Enjoy.

A dust free flat spot is good enough
I'm not even that fussy.. Poor old X5 got donked in the mud a few times this afternoon. It survived, as did a 45mm lens which fell out of my bag.

Hi Chathigh,

I wouldn't even give it a thought. I might take it [very] easy, where (as above) there is the likelyhood of massive electromagnetic interference, but a bit of distortion due to a 'large metal object', no worries.

Radio masts don't seem to caused any problem, nor have steel buildings.

I wouldn't even give it a thought. I might take it [very] easy, where (as above) there is the likelyhood of massive electromagnetic interference, but a bit of distortion due to a 'large metal object', no worries.

Radio masts don't seem to caused any problem, nor have steel buildings.

That sounds reasonable. They shouldn't have powerful distortion, else it would've affected their on board instruments anyway right.
I think I'll take the offer to accompany the ship for a test run to film it then :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop